Graduate Entry Dentistry 2019 Watch

Shalo1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hey everyone!

Just thought I’d start this thread for those who are going to apply as graduates to dentistry courses.

Please feel free to post UKCAT/application advice, and results of your application throughout this cycle!

Good luck everyone
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
harrisj786
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi im currently a dental student and what i did for the UKCAT and BMAT alongside questions was go to a course now im not saying they make or break your exam but i found mine particularly useful. it was run by Meddent prep and their prices were much cheaper than kaplan etc although they didn't go through a load of questions on the course rather they went through techniques on how to approach all styles of ukcat/bmat questions which i found more useful tbh. if you have any questions about dental school or the application process itself feel free to drop me a message. good luck!!!!
DC Pharmacist
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi all. Im currently a Pharmacist, qualified with a 2.1 back in 2014. I too am looking to start graduate entry Dentistry in Sept 2019. I'm thinking UCLAN will be the best option for me. i have friends who are currently there and know others who have gone on to complete the course.

UKCAT booked for 27th Sept- Just using the book of 1250 Questions for now

Writing Personal statement; built experience in all fields from cosmetics to NHS practices over the years to build a portfolio.

How else is everyone studying for the UKCAT? Any online resources? Im not thinking of going on any form of courses as these seem to be abit of a hit and miss from what ive seen so far.

Kind Regards and Best Wishes to All.
Shalo1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I think medify is a really good one to do especially if you’ve finished all the questions in the book.
DC Pharmacist
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Thanks Shalo. Are you a dental student or applying with us ?
Shalo1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I’m a pharmacy graduate also and apply this academic year
DC Pharmacist
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Right on Shalo. Good to know a fellow pharmer
ayedoteye
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by DC Pharmacist)
Hi all. Im currently a Pharmacist, qualified with a 2.1 back in 2014. I too am looking to start graduate entry Dentistry in Sept 2019. I'm thinking UCLAN will be the best option for me. i have friends who are currently there and know others who have gone on to complete the course.

UKCAT booked for 27th Sept- Just using the book of 1250 Questions for now

Writing Personal statement; built experience in all fields from cosmetics to NHS practices over the years to build a portfolio.

How else is everyone studying for the UKCAT? Any online resources? Im not thinking of going on any form of courses as these seem to be abit of a hit and miss from what ive seen so far.

Kind Regards and Best Wishes to All.
Yeah I agree with the courses being hit and miss tbh, it only helped me on quite a basic level but that being said its quite a strong base, I'd definitely recommend using the medicportal ukcat online resources as their simulations and tracking systems are really good!
ayedoteye
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by ayedoteye)
Yeah I agree with the courses being hit and miss tbh, it only helped me on quite a basic level but that being said its quite a strong base, I'd definitely recommend using the medicportal ukcat online resources as their simulations and tracking systems are really good!
btw I'm also from a pharmacy background doing my pre reg year and applied in my 4th year to do post grad dentistry with deferred entry at Kings so if anyone has any qs dont hesitate!
DC Pharmacist
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
That's awesome. I've started using Medify. It's fantastic. Trying to smash out as much as possible. Daily! The time limits are very difficult. I guess its just practice makes perfect.

Well done on the deferred entry @ayedoteye. You must be very excited to get going!
ayedoteye
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
That's awesome. I've started using Medify. It's fantastic. Trying to smash out as much as possible. Daily! The time limits are very difficult. I guess its just practice makes perfect.

Well done on the deferred entry @ayedoteye. You must be very excited to get going!
Yeahh it's a great feeling just work hard for it now and the aftermath is more worth it that you could imagine! All the best with your applications!
emonti1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Shalo1)
Hey everyone!

Just thought I’d start this thread for those who are going to apply as graduates to dentistry courses.

Please feel free to post UKCAT/application advice, and results of your application throughout this cycle!

Good luck everyone
I recently graduated from the University of Liverpool and am now applying for Sept 2019 grad entry for the BDS programmes at Aberdeen, UCLAN and Liverpool! Have my UKCAT on the 15th Sept and am mainly using medify which I'm finding really helpful!

Struggling with the QR - any tips?
Shalo1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Yeahhh I’m thinking of applying to Liverpool also! But I don’t know if anyone noticed on their website that this is actually their last intake for the graduate entry dbs course and they’re not accepting deferred entry! That’s one less uni that now offers the 4 year dbs.

And the only advice for UKCAT is practice practice practice. I know someone who got 700 and they said they did atleast 2000 practice questions
emonti1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Shalo1)
Yeahhh I’m thinking of applying to Liverpool also! But I don’t know if anyone noticed on their website that this is actually their last intake for the graduate entry dbs course and they’re not accepting deferred entry! That’s one less uni that now offers the 4 year dbs.

And the only advice for UKCAT is practice practice practice. I know someone who got 700 and they said they did atleast 2000 practice questions
Yeah!! I spoke to some of the staff at Liverpool and they said it was the last intake due to the changing around of the BDS programme! Are you hoping to apply for deferred? Ive done around 1500 Qs on medify but keep putting off QR, but suppose you're right that practice makes perfect!
Tofearoblivion
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Is it a mistake to apply for two graduate entry programmes?
parmstrong
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey guys,
I’ve just done my UKCAT and got a 715 average with Band 2 SJT.
I did Physiotherapy at Uni with a First, but didn’t do A-Level Chemistry. I can apply for Aberdeen and KCL, but the other Grad Entry unis state you NEED Chem a-level. Would you not bother applying to Liverpool/UCLAN?

Any advice would be appreciated, can’t really afford paying for 5 year program, although I would prefer doing that. Or do people have any ideas on how to find it?

Thanks guys!
DC Pharmacist
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi parmstrong. Well done on your marks. What I would suggest is calling up the universities youd like to go to and clarify- with your current skill set- if they would necessarily require you to have studied Chem. It's obvious youre a candidate for their programme but a requirement of chemistry may be something they could swing in your favour.
parmstrong
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi parmstrong. Well done on your marks. What I would suggest is calling up the universities youd like to go to and clarify- with your current skill set- if they would necessarily require you to have studied Chem. It's obvious youre a candidate for their programme but a requirement of chemistry may be something they could swing in your favour.
Hey DC,

Thanks for replying. I remember calling Liverpool 2 months ago and they said that if you haven’t got Chemistry they don’t even bother considering you. However the woman didn’t seem very pleasant on the phone and quite short as well. I might call both of them and use your approach and tell them my stats and go from there to see whether exceptions will be made.

Any idea on alternative funding for 5 years programs?

Thanks again!
DC Pharmacist
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
When it comes to funding 5 years to be honest it's just a case of saving money.

That's what I did. I've been working for 3/4 years and saved accordingly to cover my expenses for when i re-enter unilife. We still have a year so i would suggest save every Nickle and Dim you can from now. Otherwise you could contact UCAS and see if you are eligible for any university bursary programmes.

Remember during the course we can work too; be it term time or holidays. I know its not good to solely rely on that but at least you can make a couple buck during that time too.
parmstrong
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Do you reckon it makes sense to apply for 2 4 year and 2 5 year programs, but defer entry on the 5 year programs to save?
Even with a year extra saving, 36k of funding is a lot to cover.

Are you about to start a program or are you planning on applying this cycle? I don’t know how I’ll manage working alongside a degree, I know a lot of people do it, but I struggled the first time for sure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (91)
16.52%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (56)
10.16%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (98)
17.79%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15.25%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (168)
30.49%

Watched Threads