Cambridge colleges for computer science

Watch this thread
Sergio000
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,
I'm going to the Cambridge open day on Friday and need to decide on 2 or 3 colleges to visit because I don't have time to see lots of them.

I need some advice on which colleges to pick. I know that Churchill is the most popular one as its close to the department, but would that mean the competition would be much more to get in?

I've always found trinity/emmanuel/st John's etc so amazing but how easy it to get from one place to another in Cambridge.

I'm male, from a private school and applying for undergraduate if it makes a difference. I don't mind any kind of people though.

So my main question is what are the best choices and which ones should I look at for the best chance of getting in (as this is my main priority)

Thanks
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sergio000)
The College you apply to doesn't affect your chances of getting into Cambridge, the pooling system takes care of that. There are Colleges that might have more or fewer applicants for particular subjects, but that changes markedly year to year, so you can't effectively second guess. The best bet is to apply to the College you prefer, and do your best to get the grades.

Churchill is a 10 minute walk to St Johns, which is a 30 second walk to Trinity, which is a 5 minute walk to Emma. On the way from Trinity to Emma you'd be within yards of Gonville and Caius, Trinity Hall, Clare, Sidney Sussex, Kings and Christ's. Cambridge really isn't that big. Selwyn and Robinson are both just a few minutes walk to the Computer lab. If you can cycle then all distances halve. There's a Universal Bus stop right outside the computer lab (but do many undergrad lectures go on there? I'm not sure)
sweeneyrod
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sergio000)
Hi,
I'm going to the Cambridge open day on Friday and need to decide on 2 or 3 colleges to visit because I don't have time to see lots of them.

I need some advice on which colleges to pick. I know that Churchill is the most popular one as its close to the department, but would that mean the competition would be much more to get in?

I've always found trinity/emmanuel/st John's etc so amazing but how easy it to get from one place to another in Cambridge.

I'm male, from a private school and applying for undergraduate if it makes a difference. I don't mind any kind of people though.

So my main question is what are the best choices and which ones should I look at for the best chance of getting in (as this is my main priority)

Thanks
All colleges are reasonably close to lectures (which are largely in Mill Lane in first year and all in the CL in West Cambridge thereafter), except Homerton... (even Girton isn't that far from West Cambridge). The pooling system means your odds of getting into the university as a whole are essentially the same regardless of the college you put down, but you are more likely to get into your chosen college specifically if you put a less popular one down.

In terms of visiting colleges on the Open Day, Churchill and Fitz are near the CL, Robinson is on the way from there to the Sidgwick site where I believe the university-wide stuff is happening, and Selwyn (and female-only Newnham) are near Sidgwick, so you can probably see them without too much effort. Then I'd recommend going into town and taking a look round some of Trinity/John's/King's/Clare/Corpus/Catz/Caius etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (15)
17.86%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (21)
25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (44)
52.38%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
4.76%

Watched Threads