The Student Room Group

Why are girls with similar interests so rare?

So I'm 18 and a half (born in January) and for my whole life I've been interested in gaming (specifically pokemon), and in the past few years I've been interested in doctor who and the Marvel/DC universes. The only problem is people with similar interests like these seem to be so rare in the village i live in and at the college I go to (Loughborough College if anyone knows it.) Even in my course of Games Development, there's only one girl out of 15 people total who's not really my "type" and she's got someone anyways.

I'm overweight and have been my entire life, but over the past few weeks I've started counting my calories and have lost 3.4kg and still losing. (I'm a bit nervous of putting it out there but I was 116.5kg on 19th last month, now I'm 112.6kg today.) So I'm actively doing something to help that, and I've also got aspergers which gives me social anxiety: it's been improving lately although still kinda bad, with it taking me an hour in a Voice Chat on Discord to talk (where I've found a load of people, and in one of the groups pretty much all the girls there are "my type".)

The sort of girl I'm looking for is someone with similar interests, so likes Pokemon, Gaming, Doctor Who and/or Marvel/DC, doesn't care too much about looks, and has a great personality. Just someone who I'd be able to talk to whenever I'm feeling down, or share my excitement, or who eventually we could watch an episode of Doctor Who together and just talk about it all day/night for example.

It just seems like all the girls who would be my "type" are taken, or wouldn't be interested in me. As of now I have never been out with a girl, never kissed, held hands or hugged a girl before, as well as never smoked, drunk alcohol, or been to parties. I'm not into girls who just care about looks and sporty men/jocks, since I feel like we wouldn't have anything to talk about (I personally am not a fan of sports, but I Love walking.) I'm also able to talk about any interest of mine for hours upon hours, whether it's a new marvel movie, game coming out, etc. But when it comes to other topics, I'm completely out.

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to know why girls with similar interests like these are so rare to find, and if it's too early for me to look for a potential relationship or if I should wait, or maybe suggest where I could find someone. Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Hey it's a "rare" one here! 😂

Girls who like video games are hard to find so maybe try looking for someone around an interest, try finding someone online who plays games maybe by playing online, or when you meet a girl talk to her about her interests and see if you match.

There is only one girl on the video games course in my college so that's not uncommon but that doesn't mean finding one who likes them is rare just means not so many go down that route, I haven't personally (maybe next year though!) but still hang out with the guys because they're less *****y than my course haha

I have a video gaming overweight physics nerd of a boyfriend who I adore but sadly love is weird and I had to fall in love with a northern boy while I live down south 😂 we have since moved in together.

My point is just because there aren't any in your area doesn't mean there aren't any at all.

Try having a good look you might surprised but if not just hold on one will come along x
First of all, never having smoked isnt a bad thing. Unless you want to die of lung cancer of course??

Youre only 18!! I didnt have my first girlfriend until I was 20! Youre still young and have plenty of time!

Chill man and dont stress!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending