The Student Room Group

Exam board fined £175000 for error

Scroll to see replies

A silly mistake, but considering students have been studying the book for 2 years, then they should have recognised it.

You either answer the other question or you make a note to the examiner there is a mistake and the basis of your answer that they belonged to the other family.

They have already said no one will be prejudiced. One of the reasons for having a good nights sleep and some breakfast, so you are clear headed.
Ban OCR as an exam board all together. It's a **** exam board anyway, none will miss them.
Reply 22
It really is an unacceptable mistake. It's not just a bad mistake, is fu****g damn horrendous.

Any one who is aware of the book would know, it's such a major mistake. How on earth could they not spot it through all the checks the paper has to go through.

What needs to be done is an investigation on how the hell they allowed that to happen.
Reply 23
Definitely appropriate. In the US, collegeboard makes mistakes occasionally, but not fined. I think it's great that they are being fined.
Original post by MJ4545
It really is an unacceptable mistake. It's not just a bad mistake, is fu****g damn horrendous.

Any one who is aware of the book would know, it's such a major mistake. How on earth could they not spot it through all the checks the paper has to go through.

What needs to be done is an investigation on how the hell they allowed that to happen.

Get over yourself. They are meant to have been studying the book for two years, the mistake was so obvious it should have been easy to dismiss.

They will have already done an investigation hence the fine.
They will also have done an internal investigation.
OCR are notoriously crap anyway
Original post by hannah00
not enough, someone should be fired,

Is that the modern attitude to things? Scapegoat and fire someone when a mistake is made?
Original post by 06moca1
Is that the modern attitude to things? Scapegoat and fire someone when a mistake is made?

gross incompetence

its not scapegoat if you fire the person to blame
Original post by 999tigger
Get over yourself. They are meant to have been studying the book for two years, the mistake was so obvious it should have been easy to dismiss.

They will have already done an investigation hence the fine.
They will also have done an internal investigation.

I don't think this is the case at all. I'm willing to bet a significant amount of 15 and 16 year olds taking this test would have been nervous enough without a question throwing them off as badly as this one did. When I was taking my GCSE exams, even if I thought I knew the text like the back of my hand, if my test paper which would have gone through multiple checks before it was released implied that he was a Montague, I'd have been second guessing myself and my knowledge of the text, not the exam paper.
If you wouldn't have reacted the same way and would have been confident enough to trust your instincts when the exam paper was telling you something different, that's brilliant, but I don't think you can say the same for everyone else. Not everyone is as relaxed or confident when faced with situations like that, I know for a fact I wouldn't have been.
Original post by GentleGalaxy
I don't think this is the case at all. I'm willing to bet a significant amount of 15 and 16 year olds taking this test would have been nervous enough without a question throwing them off as badly as this one did. When I was taking my GCSE exams, even if I thought I knew the text like the back of my hand, if my test paper which would have gone through multiple checks before it was released implied that he was a Montague, I'd have been second guessing myself and my knowledge of the text, not the exam paper.
If you wouldn't have reacted the same way and would have been confident enough to trust your instincts when the exam paper was telling you something different, that's brilliant, but I don't think you can say the same for everyone else. Not everyone is as relaxed or confident when faced with situations like that, I know for a fact I wouldn't have been.

That is why you practice exam papers or do the other question.
Original post by 999tigger
That is why you practice exam papers or do the other question.

I still don't think any level of preparation would have prepared me for that. I'd have been thrown off and would have began doubting whether or not I was correct because I wouldn't expect there to be a mistake that bad in the test. I'm sure eventually I'd have gone with my gut and did the second question, but I'd still have been doubting myself and it would have definitely impacted my performance on the paper. Everyone reacts differently to these things, but for me it would have made me question myself.
Original post by hannah00
gross incompetence

its not scapegoat if you fire the person to blame

Does it solve anything? No. I also suspect that this mistakes involves a lot more people than just one.
Original post by 06moca1
Does it solve anything? No. I also suspect that this mistakes involves a lot more people than just one.

Also, don't be so naive. Do you really think that the people higher up won't try and scapegoat someone?
Original post by The Learn Ranger
It was a terrible error that affected thousands of students.

Now OCR are paying the price.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-44687294

Appropriate punishment?

The main error is exams that test powers of recall rather than a standard reached.
Original post by 06moca1

Original post by 06moca1
Also, don't be so naive. Do you really think that the people higher up won't try and scapegoat someone?

Your the one being naive, thinking we should live in a consequence free world.

not really a difficult concept to grasp . Fire the hire up person then, fire whoever is responsible. You cant just assume people will be scapegoated with out evidence, that is quite an assumption to make
Original post by the bear
How will this grieve you,

When you shall come to clearer knowledge, that

You thus have publish'd

Don't worry, chuck. Take a few days off on the Bohemian Riviera with young Master Potter
Original post by nulli tertius
Don't worry, chuck. Take a few days off on the Bohemian Riviera with young Master Potter

"Time shall unfold what plighted cunning hides:

Who cover faults, at last shame them derides."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending