Clash of A-levels

Watch this thread
Swann_01
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I’m just about to start my first year of A-levels and I went to induction day and discovered a problem. Two of my options (maths and textiles) are in the same block and clash.
Spoke to my textiles teacher who I have a really good relationship with and she said she could offer me lessons but I would be scheduled alongside another class eg year 10 and could come in while working in another classroom and ask for help if needed. I think I could manage this but my parents are completely against it and saying I should just pick another option.
Be helpful to get another students opinion on this
xEmilyxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
You have to weigh it up. What subject is more beneficial for the pathway in life you currently have in mind? What subject do you prefer the most?
Swann_01
Rep:
Thanks, I want to do a maths degree and I’m already taking further maths I’m just unsure whether to try this textile arrangement or change to business Studies (textiles I would enjoy more but business would be more beneficial)
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Swann_01)
Thanks, I want to do a maths degree and I’m already taking further maths I’m just unsure whether to try this textile arrangement or change to business Studies (textiles I would enjoy more but business would be more beneficial)
So you are planning on studying Maths, FM, Textiles, and anything else?
Swann_01
Rep:
And geography
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Isn't maths in more than one block? Weren't you told before Induction about this? I'm a teacher and write the timetable so I can't understand how you weren't told or have you changed your choices?

Could you join Year 13 textiles? What about considering another school?
Swann_01
Rep:
No maths is only in one block and I wasn’t told about this until I looked at the subject blocks in induction day. My school does share a 6th form with another school but as I only found out about this clash a few days ago I haven’t applied or shown any interest like looking round this other school as I was told my choices should be fine.
Textiles is also already a shared class with years 12 and 13 students.
I’m just a bit stuck as to what to do
Doones
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
And geography
Ok, so Maths, FM, Geog and Textiles.

I have no knowledge of Textiles but if it's like Art it's largely self-directed with guidance from your teacher so it won't necessarily be a huge disadvantage to be in a different class, and you might even benefit from your teacher having to make a special effort on your behalf. It's not ideal, but probably doable.

Maybe have a meeting with your parents and teacher to work through their concerns and the practicalities.

If you are intending to study Maths at university then adding a 4th A-level isn't "beneficial" anyway, so it would be either fitting in Textiles because you like it, rather than swapping it out for anything else including Business Studies which you don't really enjoy.
SquishyMissy
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
When I was choosing my A Levels, I was trying to get Maths, FM, Physics and French. But FM and French could have clashed - I was told that if there was enough FM students for a second class to be formed, I could do both. Otherwise I'd have to pick something else instead of French. I had psychology in mind in case I needed it*, and I think certainly in terms of integrating into lessons it will be useful if you start lessons with other Y12s, rather than trying to slot in with a GCSE or A2 class. Certainly if there had been a clash with French, I would have chosen psych instead of sitting with people a year above me, who knew way more than me and were studying completely advanced things. *Even though I knew nothing about psychology and didn't even know if I'd be interested, but it was another science (technically) so could have been more useful, but I did well in French at GCSE.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Ok, so Maths, FM, Geog and Textiles.

I have no knowledge of Textiles but if it's like Art it's largely self-directed with guidance from your teacher so it won't necessarily be a huge disadvantage to be in a different class, and you might even benefit from your teacher having to make a special effort on your behalf. It's not ideal, but probably doable.
If you don;t know anything about the course then I'm surprised you are commenting - and no, it's nothing like Art its more like Design Technology.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
No maths is only in one block and I wasn’t told about this until I looked at the subject blocks in induction day. My school does share a 6th form with another school but as I only found out about this clash a few days ago I haven’t applied or shown any interest like looking round this other school as I was told my choices should be fine.
Textiles is also already a shared class with years 12 and 13 students.
I’m just a bit stuck as to what to do
It must be a small school then? The solution looks fine for the practical but how will the teacher cover the theory with you? Textiles would be a great way of pursuing a different style of learning and I found a practical O level very relaxing.

If the teacher can come up with this sort of solution then it sounds like she is keen for you to continue and willing to support you. If it does not work you could just take the AS and still have three A levels. I'd go for it

[PS I teach Maths and think the variety of A levels is fine]
Swann_01
Rep:
Thank you for all the comments and your opinions on my problem. I think I’m going to try and arrange a meeting with my textiles teacher and parents (possibly my head of 6th form) to try and reassure my parents a bit. I would really like to take the textiles course and my teacher really wants me to as well.
Thank you again!
Doones
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Thank you for all the comments and your opinions on my problem. I think I’m going to try and arrange a meeting with my textiles teacher and parents (possibly my head of 6th form) to try and reassure my parents a bit. I would really like to take the textiles course and my teacher really wants me to as well.
Thank you again!
That's a good plan. And good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (30)
21.43%
The paper was reasonable (64)
45.71%
Not feeling great about that exam... (31)
22.14%
It was TERRIBLE (15)
10.71%

Watched Threads