The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Social work students, September 2018.

Hi, just wondering if there are any new students about to start Northumbria uni in September on the social work degree? If so, how are you feeling about it?
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
I'm going into 3rd of SW at NU, so if there's anything you'd like know or any questions you'd like to ask then go ahead :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by PrittyVacant
I'm going into 3rd of SW at NU, so if there's anything you'd like know or any questions you'd like to ask then go ahead :smile:

Thank you for your reply. That is very kind of you to offer help. I’m an older mature female student (47) , everyone thinks I’m mad to be doing this at my age but my family are older and this is for me. Plus,I would love to be able to make a difference to someone life. I am looking forward to the course but slightly nervous, I don’t have a clue about how to write an assignment, I’m not the most academic person, so any help there would be great. Any advice on anything, books? Would be appreciated. How are you finding the course? 🙂
Original post by Poodle123
Thank you for your reply. That is very kind of you to offer help. I’m an older mature female student (47) , everyone thinks I’m mad to be doing this at my age but my family are older and this is for me. Plus,I would love to be able to make a difference to someone life. I am looking forward to the course but slightly nervous, I don’t have a clue about how to write an assignment, I’m not the most academic person, so any help there would be great. Any advice on anything, books? Would be appreciated. How are you finding the course? 🙂
Honestly, I am loving it and can't wait to go back for third year! There are lots of library resources for assignment writing and referencing - you may even be able to book in for some 1-to-1 support with this from the of library staff - but best to double check with what's available :smile: You will get specific assignment guidance when it comes to handing in assignments, but you can also book in 1-to-1 o group tutorials with the module lead or seminar leaders too - and don't forget to ask for help and confer with your peers too :smile: Everyone is in the same boat. I'm also a mature student (34) so it was a bit of a shock to the system - though I feel like my access course prepared me well, so it was just fine tuning it. Books wise - one of my go to books is Social Work Skills by Pamela Trevithick, it has a great index in the back and very rarely lets me down if I'm looking for a reference for something, also an up to date copy of Theory and Practice by Siobhan Maclean and Rob Harrison (great for easy explanations on theories, but youll probably use this more in years 2 &3) - other useful authors (particularly for 1st year) are Neil Thompson, Sarah Banks, Joyce Lishman and (forgot their first name) Koprowska - those books tend to centre are communication skills and values and ethics.
Reply 5
Thank you, that is great help, I am very grateful. I am so looking forward to learning something new. I think I am the eldest by far on this course, i met a few when we had a briefing day, hopefully i will have plenty of life skills. It is very reassuring to hear your enjoying the course, that's great. All the lectures i have met so far seem really nice. I did an access course 7 years ago and was going to train to be a children's nurse, i had my place but my husband was then made redundant so i never took the place. Social work is something i have always been interested in, so i'm pleased a applied for it. I really hope you enjoy your 3rd year as much. Thanks again, if you don't mind i would like to keep in touch now and then,is that ok?
Original post by Poodle123
Thank you, that is great help, I am very grateful. I am so looking forward to learning something new. I think I am the eldest by far on this course, i met a few when we had a briefing day, hopefully i will have plenty of life skills. It is very reassuring to hear your enjoying the course, that's great. All the lectures i have met so far seem really nice. I did an access course 7 years ago and was going to train to be a children's nurse, i had my place but my husband was then made redundant so i never took the place. Social work is something i have always been interested in, so i'm pleased a applied for it. I really hope you enjoy your 3rd year as much. Thanks again, if you don't mind i would like to keep in touch now and then,is that ok?

Yes that's absolutely fine. Drop me a PM and maybe we can find each other on facebook, if you're on there :smile:
Hi, I have my interview for Social work on Friday, Could you advise me of anything that may help im really nervous? Also can i ask what the first year timetable is like, how many days your in etc? thanks :smile:
I got in! i am now very nervous :biggrin:
Reply 9
Hi, I am starting the social work degree at Northumbria in September too. I am also a mature student (34) and my friend from the access course is also starting too.

I really appreciate the book recommendations, I have been dying for a reading list but nothing so far xx

Quick Reply