The Student Room Group

Gay conversion therapy to be banned

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44686374

Controversial "gay conversion therapies" are to be banned as part of a government plan to improve the lives of gay and transgender people.

A national survey of 108,000 members of the LGBT community suggested 2% have undergone the practice with another 5% having been offered it.

It also found more than two-thirds of LGBT people avoid holding hands in public, for fear of negative reactions.

The prime minister said nobody "should ever have to hide who they are".

A 75-point plan to improve the lives of LGBT people, costing £4.5m, has been produced in response to the survey. It includes plans to introduce a national LGBT health adviser, tackle discrimination, improve the response to hate crime and to improve diversity in education institutions.

The charity Stonewall added there were still "pockets of society" where the LGBT community was "far from safe".

Scroll to see replies

I think this is an insane restriction on freedom-of-speech. When you've got all the other stuff being allowed why is this then acceptable? It's up to parents to raise their children and I doubt conversion therapy is always wrong. I would personally raise my child to be as feminine as possible but I do understand that I am in a minority.
What a crock of ****.

So long as there is no coercion, why not?
Original post by registerin30
I think this is an insane restriction on freedom-of-speech. When you've got all the other stuff being allowed why is this then acceptable? It's up to parents to raise their children and I doubt conversion therapy is always wrong. I would personally raise my child to be as feminine as possible but I do understand that I am in a minority.

What other stuff do you mean?

Original post by Davij038
What a crock of ****.

There's no scientific evidence to prove that it works, and it can also be incredibly damaging to both mental and physical health. In some cases it even involves rape so, you know, that's why not
Original post by chelseadagg3r
What other stuff do you mean?

There's no scientific evidence to prove that it works, and it can also be incredibly damaging to both mental and physical health. In some cases it even involves rape so, you know, that's why not

There's widespread abuse of children by parents. I don't see why something like conversion therapy should be restricted by government when everything else is allowed.
There's widespread abuse of children by parents. I don't see why something like conversion therapy should be restricted by government when everything else is allowed.

Abuse comes with criminal punishment and social services support victims, so I wouldn't say it's allowed. Even if it were, would it really be the right thing to say 'well such and such is allowed so what does it matter?'. You can't change anything by making excuses
What a crock of ****.

It sends out a message that there's something wrong with being gay.

- it’s not about whether it works or not m, it’s about individuals choosing to do something. If people can choose to smoke cigarettes or engage in risqué sexual practises I fail to see why they can’t also consent to be cured

- rape is illegal in any case, so I fail to see how it’s relevant
Abuse comes with criminal punishment and social services support victims, so I wouldn't say it's allowed. Even if it were, would it really be the right thing to say 'well such and such is allowed so what does it matter?'. You can't change anything by making excuses

But why is gay conversion therapy considered abuse? It's well within a person's rights to consider gay conversion therapy to be good for himself. Is it not like banning the burka?
Reply 9

This is just whataboutery. There are no credible arguments for conversion therapy to exist, it is a harmful and toxic practice that provides no benefit to society.
- it’s not about whether it works or not m, it’s about individuals choosing to do something. If people can choose to smoke cigarettes or engage in risqué sexual practises I fail to see why they can’t also consent to be cured

- rape is illegal in any case, so I fail to see how it’s relevant

They don't always choose to do it, and when they do they choose based on false information. It doesn't work, but is advertised to. It's incredibly damaging, but is marketed as a therapy. Being gay is a natural part of life, but it suggests it's a disease to be cured. It sends a message, and it absolutely should be banned. It ruins lives, and will continue to ruin lives. People opt for this kind of thing because they feel forced to. Forced by other people, by the views of society, or by their own fear. They don't think 'oh well I guess it'd be nice to be straight'.

Do you think these rapes get reported to the police and get dealt with seriously when they do?
But why is gay conversion therapy considered abuse? It's well within a person's rights to consider gay conversion therapy to be good for himself. Is it not like banning the burka?

It's not good for anyone, whether people want to consider it as such or not. It's dangerous and provides no benefit, and it being allowed makes it available for vulnerable people and those who may be coerced or forced into it
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
It sends out a message that there's something wrong with being gay.

If there’s no coercion or abuse so what?

Would you ban mosques or atheism because it sends out a messsge there’s something wrong with Christianity?
It's not good for anyone, whether people want to consider it as such or not. It's dangerous and provides no benefit, and it being allowed makes it available for vulnerable people and those who may be coerced or forced into it

Yeah but I’d say the same thing about homosexuality in general though
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44686374

Controversial "gay conversion therapies" are to be banned as part of a government plan to improve the lives of gay and transgender people.

A national survey of 108,000 members of the LGBT community suggested 2% have undergone the practice with another 5% having been offered it.

It also found more than two-thirds of LGBT people avoid holding hands in public, for fear of negative reactions.

The prime minister said nobody "should ever have to hide who they are".

A 75-point plan to improve the lives of LGBT people, costing £4.5m, has been produced in response to the survey. It includes plans to introduce a national LGBT health adviser, tackle discrimination, improve the response to hate crime and to improve diversity in education institutions.

The charity Stonewall added there were still "pockets of society" where the LGBT community was "far from safe".

Hmmm...what about former homosexuals who got saved (ie became true Christians) and turned away from homosexual feelings?

Would the mighty government arrest the church members and accuse them of discrimination?
They don't always choose to do it, and when they do they choose based on false information. It doesn't work, but is advertised to. It's incredibly damaging, but is marketed as a therapy. Being gay is a natural part of life, but it suggests it's a disease to be cured. It sends a message, and it absolutely should be banned. It ruins lives, and will continue to ruin lives. People opt for this kind of thing because they feel forced to. Forced by other people, by the views of society, or by their own fear. They don't think 'oh well I guess it'd be nice to be straight'.

Do you think these rapes get reported to the police and get dealt with seriously when they do?

Erm...it's not natural you choose to be gay, you aren't born that way you realise that as a biological fact right?

And in any case i love the way they skew the debate, its always painted as the gay person is stuck in some room chained to a bed with religious texts being blasted from loudspeakers...

You think being attracted to members of the same sex is akin to being traumatised into not doing/enjoying something?

Original post by Oruese
Hmmm...what about former homosexuals who got saved (ie became true Christians) and turned away from homosexual feelings?

Would the mighty government arrest the church members and accuse them of discrimination?

I don't think it's ever been proven to actually have worked. Feel free to provide a genuine and reliable source that proves otherwise :smile:
Wasn't aware it was still a thing tbh

There is. The problem is the liberal left, also consider some of them a minority as well. Their brains can't deal with one minority attacking another.

Original post by Oruese

Saved from what ? :lol:
(edited 5 years ago)

Which part exactly are you applying to being gay?
Reply 19
I for one am thrilled that gay conversion therapy is being banned. It is totally ludicrous, horrible, and downright cruel, for homophobic parents to force their gay child to believe that there is something wrong with their sexuality, like it is some sort of illness that can be 'fixed'.

Latest