The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RoyalBeams
Those with the cells would see it completely and repeatedly refers to medical practitioners not to practice conversion therapy. Not anyone else.

So, what you're trying to say is that experienced professionals have been told not to do it, but it's all right if some random person with no idea about what they're doing tries to do it? Wouldn't that be even MORE harmful than it already is?

Those untrained people shouldn't be doing it anyway - how can they give a therapy if they don't even know what they're doing? Therefore, there wouldn't be any point in telling them not to, as they're already doing wrong by giving the therapy without training - so why would they listen to other advice if they're defying what's currently in place?

In fact, the only "reason" to tell them is to prevent RoyalBeams from thinking that they can make yet another argument out of nothing. And, to be honest, I highly doubt that they'd want to alter the whole document just because of you. Besides, you'd then simply focus upon a different non-existent reason to keep gay conversion therapy going, solely to reduce the proportion of homosexuals in society. That's really all you want it to exist for, isn't it? That, and making gay people feel like sh*t. There is no evidence of the therapy working, but it can easily make the people undergoing the therapy feel even less valued than they already did. Is THAT what you want?
Original post by Dez
This is just whataboutery. There are no credible arguments for conversion therapy to exist, it is a harmful and toxic practice that provides no benefit to society.

You could change that to 'There are no credible arguments for LGBT encouragement to exist' and the statement would still be true to some people.

What good does being gay do for society? Hint: it doesn't, it just signals the collapse of any society in which it happens.

Gay conversion therapy should be an available option for people who are gay but don't want to be.
If I was gay I would definitely want it.
Reply 602
Original post by StormCommando
You could change that to 'There are no credible arguments for LGBT encouragement to exist' and the statement would still be true to some people.

WTF is "LGBT encouragement"? :lolwut:

What good does being gay do for society? Hint: it doesn't, it just signals the collapse of any society in which it happens.

Oh sod off.

Gay conversion therapy should be an available option for people who are gay but don't want to be.

It doesn't work. Conversion therapy cannot change anyone's sexuality, it's basically just glorified torture and psychological trauma.
Original post by mupsman2312
So, what you're trying to say is that experienced professionals have been told not to do it, but it's all right if some random person with no idea about what they're doing tries to do it? Wouldn't that be even MORE harmful than it already is?

Those untrained people shouldn't be doing it anyway - how can they give a therapy if they don't even know what they're doing? Therefore, there wouldn't be any point in telling them not to, as they're already doing wrong by giving the therapy without training - so why would they listen to other advice if they're defying what's currently in place?

In fact, the only "reason" to tell them is to prevent RoyalBeams from thinking that they can make yet another argument out of nothing. And, to be honest, I highly doubt that they'd want to alter the whole document just because of you. Besides, you'd then simply focus upon a different non-existent reason to keep gay conversion therapy going, solely to reduce the proportion of homosexuals in society. That's really all you want it to exist for, isn't it? That, and making gay people feel like sh*t. There is no evidence of the therapy working, but it can easily make the people undergoing the therapy feel even less valued than they already did. Is THAT what you want?

They have the power of God behind them, the holy spirit in them, anything is possible. God can do what man cannot do and he listens to their prayers.:colondollar:

You disagree?

Well, it is their right to have their faith.

As long as it is voluntary, which means the homosexual also has the faith, it is none of you LiberaNazis' business.

If the homosexual does not like it, he/she is free to walk away and have a pint in Soho.

Medicine is a regulated profession and industry, religion is not.

Violence is a crime, thoughts are not.

It really is not rocket science, mupsman2312!!! But you are still struggling to get it.:biggrin:

These are words and actions, not thoughts. The sooner religion is regulated the better; the public needs protection from the wowsers.
They have the power of God behind them, the holy spirit in them, anything is possible. God can do what man cannot do and he listens to their prayers.:colondollar:

You disagree?

As long as it is voluntary, which means the homosexual also has the faith, it is none of you LiberaNazis' business.

If the homosexual does not like it, he/she is free to walk away and have a pint in Soho.

It really is not rocket science, mupsman2312!!! But you are still struggling to get it.:biggrin:

They have the power of God do they?Any evidence for that assertion? Any evidence that God exists at all?
Original post by Good bloke
These are words and actions, not thoughts. The sooner religion is regulated the better; the public needs protection from the wowsers.

Demanding regulation of religion is pure fascism!!!

Same thing as Communists did. Not and action of the free world.

You are advocating regulating thoughts and beliefs. You do not stand for free speech. You only stand for speech you approve of.

That is why we have a society in the UK where anyone (especially a celebrity/VIP) saying pro-LGBT things is left alone without challenge, but if someone says anything anti-LGBT, the media hunts and attacks them till they bring them down.

That is Fascism!

Many of you are just LiberaNazis.

Surprisingly, some of you might even say doing these is "Living and let live".

Basically: "As long as it is our beliefs and values, not opposing ones, that is bieng forced on society, then nothing is wrong with it and we are only doing it for the general good". That is the typical fascist mentality.
Original post by Robby2312
They have the power of God do they?Any evidence for that assertion? Any evidence that God exists at all?

Go and ask a christian, darling.
Go and ask a christian, darling.

An old book is not evidence.Where is your evidence? Show me it.You made the assertion so back it up.
An old book is not evidence.Where is your evidence? Show me it.You made the assertion so back it up.

What assertion did I make?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Erm... that "they have the power of God with them", and "the holy spirit in them"? You literally said it just a few posts ago! 🤣

Stop stalling, and actually answer the question! You can't possibly have forgotten already what assertion you made, so hurry up and prove yourself! I highly doubt that you'll be able to - that's obviously why you're trying to dodge the question.

Plus, can't the holy spirit be in atheists and agnostics, too? God can't exactly expect people to believe in and practice something which there is no proof of whatsoever, so surely He would love everyone regardless (if He does indeed exist). Therefore, those who OPPOSE gay conversion therapy may ALSO have the holy spirit in them, and so your point about specifically religious people having the God behind them is sort of invalidated by this.
(edited 5 years ago)

You disagree?

You didn't respond to what I said about you wanting gay people to feel like sh*t and less valued. Does that mean that I hit the nail on the head there?

Also, what's the point in pouring money into a service which DOESN'T WORK? Even if both parties (those giving and those receiving the therapy) are WILLING for the therapy to happen, why bother when it won't change anything for the better? All it does is waste money, and make the patient feel worse about themselves when the therapy is ineffective.

How could you know for sure? You might quite like being gay if you were!

Is it because you don't like homosexuals, and so would be ashamed of yourself if you WERE one?
Shut up and go back to your safe space.

Oooh - somebody's tired! 😆

Should they stop talking because they managed to give an argument which even YOU can't find a way to deny? What a sensible and mature way to admit defeat!

It's a weak argument when you have to answer my questions with another question.Seems like you dont have an answer.Again where is the evidence for the assertion you made? If you can't remember it try scrolling up.
Erm... that "they have the power of God with them", and "the holy spirit in them"? You literally said it just a few posts ago! 🤣

Stop stalling, and actually answer the question! You can't possibly have forgotten already what assertion you made, so hurry up and prove yourself! I highly doubt that you'll be able to - that's obviously why you're trying to dodge the question.

Plus, can't the holy spirit be in atheists and agnostics, too? God can't exactly expect people to believe in and practice something which there is no proof of whatsoever, so surely He would love everyone regardless (if He does indeed exist). Therefore, those who OPPOSE gay conversion therapy may ALSO have the holy spirit in them, and so your point about specifically religious people having the God behind them is sort of invalidated by this.

It's a weak argument when you have to answer my questions with another question.Seems like you dont have an answer.Again where is the evidence for the assertion you made? If you can't remember it try scrolling up.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Jeez!

I honestly do now feel sorry for you 2 guys.:biggrin:

I really do!:biggrin:

If you are not intellectually equipped to spot a mockery of religion and sarcasm against you flies well over your head, I just feel sorry for you.:biggrin:

If those were my beliefs/assertions I would not have been using the term "they" and "their", nor would I end it with a sniggering/sarcastic emoticon.

Why would I have to prove the faith of others when I don't follow the faith? Did that actually make sense in your heads?:colondollar:

Damn!
You didn't respond to what I said about you wanting gay people to feel like sh*t and less valued. Does that mean that I hit the nail on the head there?

Also, what's the point in pouring money into a service which DOESN'T WORK? Even if both parties (those giving and those receiving the therapy) are WILLING for the therapy to happen, why bother when it won't change anything for the better? All it does is waste money, and make the patient feel worse about themselves when the therapy is ineffective.

When you speak with proof, I might just consider responding to it.

When it is rubbish, there is no need to respond.

Listen to yourself.:biggrin:

What is your business with how others choose to spend their money? Why do you feel the need to control adults' choices when they don't agree with your view? LiberaNazism?

Would you ban marriage too? It does not work and people spend like £20K on average on a wedding to do it. And a few more thousands to get out of it. Is it your business? Are you also going to say you want to create a law that bans adults marrying because "it is pouring money into something that does not work", LiberaNazi?
(edited 5 years ago)
Oooh - somebody's tired! 😆

Should they stop talking because they managed to give an argument which even YOU can't find a way to deny? What a sensible and mature way to admit defeat!

I guess talking about gammon is genius conversation that needs to be responded to in your world.

Not mine, darling.:biggrin:
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Jeez!

I honestly do now feel sorry for you 2 guys.:biggrin:

I really do!:biggrin:

If you are not intellectually equipped to spot a mockery of religion and sarcasm against you flies well over your head, I just feel sorry for you.:biggrin:

If those were my beliefs/assertions I would not have been using the term "they" and "their", nor would I end it with a sniggering/sarcastic emoticon.

Why would I have to prove the faith of others when I don't follow the faith? Did that actually make sense in your heads?:colondollar:

Damn!

Sarcasm doesn't work over the internet.You should know that.And I'm pretty sure you've said you were religious before.Pretty sure you referred to God as my Lord as well.What are your beliefs then? Do you have any?
Sarcasm doesn't work over the internet.You should know that.And I'm pretty sure you've said you were religious before.Pretty sure you referred to God as my Lord as well.What are your beliefs then? Do you have any?

You are pretty sure?

Or it is just the resulting side effect of the dogma in your head?:biggrin:

What made you so sure?

Latest

Trending

Trending