The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bnaca
Okayyyy, so I'm all for freedom of religion. I believe that if you want to place your faith in God, then that is your choice to make.

But your statement... is honestly quite repulsive. The Government won't stop that, you're right. It won't stop that because the Government bases their laws, regulations, and decisions, on fact and evidence; to which, there is none to support homosexuality being a sin. In an alternate universe, heterosexuals are likely dealt the same hand of oppression and abuse that homosexuals experience in our own universe. In another, there is no abuse or oppression to any sexuality, as the people in that world accept that we are all humans.

I would very much like to live in the latter...

Government will never be able to judge what is a sin and what isn't, that's God's jurisdiction and he already elaborated on that matter
Original post by chelseadagg3r
You think being attracted to members of the same sex is akin to being traumatised into not doing/enjoying something?
:smile:

No, but it’s a false analogy
Original post by Tu Llama
It's true though. Religions are cults. It's the easily brainwashed masses being controlled by the small minority up top. The brainwashing starts with children and people trying to 'find themselves'.

hmmmm..... i suppose the government slowly eradicating all traces of God from the school curriculum and mandating all children to go through an atheistic upbringing in the classroom for a whole 12 years of the child's development isn't brain-washing either?

Please...the government perfected that nonsense, don't believe me? look at how atheistic your society is, compare that to a time when public school education was non-existent and an overwhelming majority of people believed in God and tell me who's the real brain washer
(edited 5 years ago)
the comments on this post are frankly disgusting...how can someone justify conversion therapy (as if being gay is wrong) as viable 'treatment'...like what?
It's true though. Religions are cults. It's the easily brainwashed masses being controlled by the small minority up top. The brainwashing starts with children and people trying to 'find themselves'.

Why can’t you say the same about modern liberalism?

Aren’t we being brainwashed by the same socially liberal clique who run Hollywood, the Media and Hollywood?
Original post by Oruese
hmmmm..... i suppose the government slowly eradicating all traces of God from the school curriculum and mandating all children to go through an atheistic upbringing in the classroom for a whole 12 years of the child's development isn't brain-washing either?

Please...the government perfected that nonsense

Religion has no place in the classroom, much like politics.

Between brainwashing kids to be atheists and brainwashing kids to believe in made up beings and books written thousands of years ago for a different society - I know what I'd pick.
Original post by Davij038
Why can’t you say the same about modern liberalism?

Aren’t we being brainwashed by the same socially liberal clique who run Hollywood, the Media and Hollywood?

Sure. What's your point though? Your whataboutery is very interesting but I was talking about religion.
Original post by chelseadagg3r
What other stuff do you mean?

There's no scientific evidence to prove that it works, and it can also be incredibly damaging to both mental and physical health. In some cases it even involves rape so, you know, that's why not

Its because dome old flump think that all men should **** girls and that'd it
I don't know why it should be banned. It's not as if it's compulsory.
Sure. What's your point though? Your whataboutery is very interesting but I was talking about religion.

it’s relevant as you’ve presented a case based on moral relativism. If there is no encompassing morality then why does it matter as in both cases we are being ‘brainwashed’
I didn't even know it was still legal.

It's great that it's being banned. Attempting to "convert" people is, in my opinion, inhumane, and sends out the appalling message that being homosexual is something to be ashamed of.

The comments on this thread are disgusting.

Between brainwashing kids to be atheists and brainwashing kids to believe in made up beings and books written thousands of years ago for a different society - I know what I'd pick.

Why?
it’s relevant as you’ve presented a case based on moral relativism. If there is no encompassing morality then why does it matter as in both cases we are being ‘brainwashed’

Well my point still stands about religion.
Religion has no place in the classroom, much like politics.

of course.... just realise your progressive atheism is causing children in kindergarten in california and canada to be taught that boys can be girls and girls and be boys. Beastiality is next folks...continue with the progression into madness. when you reject God, you end up having no standards i'll give you a heads up though read Romans 1
Well my point still stands about religion.

Yes, but that point could be made about any society including the one you are defending.

‘Dude, cant you see how important it is that the universe has no meaning?’
Original post by registerin30
I think this is an insane restriction on freedom-of-speech. When you've got all the other stuff being allowed why is this then acceptable? It's up to parents to raise their children and I doubt conversion therapy is always wrong. I would personally raise my child to be as feminine as possible but I do understand that I am in a minority.

Are you suggesting parents should encourage their children to be heterosexual? Maybe we should also encourage parents to only have children with blonde hair and blue eyes?
Why?

Religion removes choice, free will and reason which are things that should be encouraged in kids. Teaching kids about religion is important because religion has shaped our world, but bringing kids up in an environment that hinders individuality and promotes shame isn't good for their development. Also, from the point of view of society, religious scriptures are out of date and restrictive. Now not all religious people are the same but this in itself is also an issue because ultimately, one religion is going to be true and the rest a lie (nevermind the different sects within one religion). You wouldn't bring a child up to believe the world of Harry Potter is truth and I don't see how religion is any different.
Yes, but it’s retarded, and can be made about any society including the one you are defending.

‘Dude, cant you see how important it is that the universe has no meaning?’

If my opinion is retarded then so be it. I could easily say the same about yours. Anyway, just because a thing can be said about 'a lot of things' doesn't mean the point in question isn't valid. Deflection doesn't get you very far.
Reply 58
Original post by Oruese
Government will never be able to judge what is a sin and what isn't, that's God's jurisdiction and he already elaborated on that matter

It's God's jurisdiction? And yet, a mere mortal such as yourself is spreading His wishes on behalf of the almighty...

According to the old testament, Book of Genesis specifically, God set the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah ablaze due to its inhabitants performing sodomy, and conducting homosexual relationships with one another. Surely due to His omnipotence, God can simply smite all of the gay people in the world, similar to how he did in the Book of Genesis; since, of course, it is his "jurisdiction" to "judge what is a sin and what isn't". And yet, he hasn't. So, without saying 'it is all part of God's plan', can you explain why God doesn't kill all of these 'sinners'? Or is he on a continuous vacation for the past few millennia?
Religion removes choice, free will and reason which are things that should be encouraged in kids.

Why?

Teaching kids about religion is important because religion has shaped our world, but bringing kids up in an environment that hinders individuality and promotes shame isn't good for their development.

Why isn’t it?

Also, from the point of view of society, religious scriptures are out of date and restrictive.

There is no teleogical progression. History repeats itself.

You wouldn't bring a child up to believe the world of Harry Potter is truth.

If it’s been shown to shape and benefit society as much as Christianity, why not? (Christianity is also a lot harder to disprove than Harry Potter)

Latest

Trending

Trending