This discussion is closed.
James098
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi I’m about to go to sixth form thinking about a law degree after and wondering which a levels would be best for me. My options are history(definitely) then choosing between English lit, business studies, sociology and psychology. I read maths a level is needed but that won’t be possible so what options give me a chance for Oxbridge. Also what results look better A*AA by not doing English lit or AAB by doing it for example what’s your thoughts?
3pointonefour
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Where did you read that maths a level is needed for law? That's very strange.
James098
Rep:
?
(Original post by 3pointonefour)
Where did you read that maths a level is needed for law? That's very strange.
On here maths seams to be the most recommended would you disagree?
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by James098)
It is a very common A-Level for law students at Oxbridge to have. It is not obligatory, mind; you just want to make the best argument possible that they should accept you and having incredibly academic A-Levels is a way to do that. You can get a law offer from Oxbridge with soft social sciences, too. And you will be a lot more likely to get an offer if you have A*AA predictions than AAB. That relates to all top law courses (LSE, UCL, KCL, Durham, Bristol, QMUL), not just Oxbridge.
3pointonefour
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not in a good position to say since I don't have a degree in law or anything of the sort. It's just that since Law is a very writing-heavy and essay based subject that I'd be surprised that maths out of all subjects is recommended
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What do the the course entry requirements say? They're all online.
James098
Rep:
?
(Original post by Duncan2012)
What do the the course entry requirements say? They're all online.
A* A A but even if I get that with doing history psychology and business would I be accepted with only 1 facilitating subject. Just wondering if I should take the gamble by doing lit
username3753020
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What GCSE grades did you get? Thanks.
James098
Rep:
?
(Original post by s.m30)
What GCSE grades did you get? Thanks.
Get them later next month but predicted 2 A* 5 A and 2 Bs
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A* A A but even if I get that with doing history psychology and business would I be accepted with only 1 facilitating subject. Just wondering if I should take the gamble by doing lit
Yes you would.

Do 3 A-levels you enjoy.

You may get an offer with predicted A*AA in History, Psychology and Business. You almost certainly won't even get an interview with AAB in Maths, History and Eng Lit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
James098
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Yes you would.

Do 3 A-levels you enjoy.

You may get an offer with predicted A*AA in History, Psychology and Business. You almost certainly won't even get an interview with AAB in Maths, History and Eng Lit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great that’s for the advice
ohdearstudying
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Great that’s for the advice
A facilating, preferred and non-preferred subjects are different, facilitating are arguably more 'traditional', preferred are the other subjects like Psychology and Business and then non-preferred is stuff like Critical Thinking that many universities (such as Oxbridge) don't accept.
James098
Rep:
?
(Original post by ohdearstudying)
A facilating, preferred and non-preferred subjects are different, facilitating are arguably more 'traditional', preferred are the other subjects like Psychology and Business and then non-preferred is stuff like Critical Thinking that many universities (such as Oxbridge) don't accept.
Right and how many facilitating subject are required to have a chance at oxbridge is 1 enough?
ohdearstudying
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Right and how many facilitating subject are required to have a chance at oxbridge is 1 enough?
I think 1 is fine, you can probably get away with studying Psychology, Religious Studies and Business. It's probably more about the rigour and the grades.

I'm doing Religious Studies, Politics and English Literature (1 facilating subject) and also want to do law at Oxbridge
James098
Rep:
?
(Original post by ohdearstudying)
I think 1 is fine, you can probably get away with studying Psychology, Religious Studies and Business. It's probably more about the rigour and the grades.

I'm doing Religious Studies, Politics and English Literature (1 facilating subject) and also want to do law at Oxbridge
Ok that’s good to no good luck!
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
None. You are misunderstanding "facilitating"... they are just the most commonly accepted subjects across a huge range of courses.

E.g. You might have 3 facilitating subjects for a university Maths course, but if none of them are actually Maths then they don't help you at all.

Law usually has no specifically required subjects or even preferred subjects.

Check the stated entry requirements, and the subjects you actually enjoy and will do well at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oxford has no subject requirements for Law (Jurisprudence). Only an essay subject is said to be helpful - see https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...e-requirements

You will need to do well in the LNAT. Good luck.
James098
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Oxford has no subject requirements for Law (Jurisprudence). Only an essay subject is said to be helpful - see https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...e-requirements

You will need to do well in the LNAT. Good luck.
Sorry I’m new to this but WHAT LNAT!😩
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry I’m new to this but WHAT LNAT!😩
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...-jurisprudence

Look on the 'Requirements' and 'How to Apply' tabs. LNAT is the Law National Aptitude Test.
ZdYnm8vuNR
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The ideal would be something like: History, English Lit, Maths
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.23%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.35%
Not great so far... (251)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.66%

Watched Threads