Very upset with the way school predicted grades?

Watch this thread
icedmangoes
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My A2 predictions are A*AA in biology, geography, and maths.
The thing is, I actually ATTAINED THOSE in my end of year AS mocks.

This girl, let's call her Mary, got ACD in her end of year AS mocks in art, chemistry, and biology.. And what is she predicted? AAB. She's freaking predicted AAB.
Apparently her mother went into school and complained and basically forced the school to raise her grades. Extremely, extremely UNFAIR!! She never got an A in any test or exams. She doesn't deserve those grades!

I worked so hard to get the grades I attained and never got below an A for geography in any test/exam, and got predicted an A which is understandable. However, when you're one of the minority who gets predicted LOWER than what you've been attaining in class overall, it hurts. If Mary got predicted 2 grades higher, why can't I be predicted one up when I have reached an A* level before?

Then another girl, let's call her Jasmine, got a C on her end of year geography exam. They predicted her a freaking B, and now she's trying to ask them if they can raise it to an A.

SO. FREAKING. RIDICULOUS.

I don't know why I've been predicted lower than what I've been attaining, but it is so unfair when I look at how much other people's grades have been inflated. I wonder if I am that hated in school. Just wow. These people do not deserve to be getting into good universities with their particular work ethic and grades but they can. And people who got lower on their AS mocks have been predicted HIGHER than me from other schools.

IT'S A BIASED SYSTEM. CHANGE IT.
Claros
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
A*AA is a solid prediction, even if it is lower than you want. The fact that these students have managed to have their predicted grades inflated won't be helpful for them in the long run. They're probably aiming for universities that are beyond their capabilities (at least at this stage) and so the pressure for them to get these grades when they haven't been performing to that level will be enormous. It's very likely that they won't meet these predictions, and will end up having to find another means to get into university if they happen to accept an offer based on their inaccurate predicted grades.

'People do not deserve to be getting into good universities with their particular work ethic and grades but they can.'
They haven't got into the universities yet, an offer on the basis of their predicted grades is not a guarantee and they will need to prove themselves in the end.

My advice is not pay attention to other people and their predicted grades. I know it's frustrating when people seem to have it easier than you, but the fact is is that A*AA is a great prediction and you're likely to get offers from top universities yourself, so worrying about others is fruitless.
Shish_bish
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by icedmangoes)

This girl, let's call her Mary, got ACD in her end of year AS mocks in art, chemistry, and biology.. And what is she predicted? AAB. She's freaking predicted AAB.
Apparently her mother went into school and complained and basically forced the school to raise her grades. Extremely, extremely UNFAIR!! She never got an A in any test or exams. She doesn't deserve those grades!

I worked so hard to get the grades I attained and never got below an A for geography in any test/exam, and got predicted an A which is understandable. However, when you're one of the minority who gets predicted LOWER than what you've been attaining in class overall, it hurts. If Mary got predicted 2 grades higher, why can't I be predicted one up when I have reached an A* level before?

Then another girl, let's call her Jasmine, got a C on her end of year geography exam. They predicted her a freaking B, and now she's trying to ask them if they can raise it to an A.

I don't know why I've been predicted lower than what I've been attaining, but it is so unfair when I look at how much other people's grades have been inflated. I wonder if I am that hated in school. Just wow. These people do not deserve to be getting into good universities with their particular work ethic and grades but they can. And people who got lower on their AS mocks have been predicted HIGHER than me from other schools.

I feel ya, I am the best in my year and worked my ass off to attain A*A*A and I hate it when the teachers predict other kids higher when they don’t seem to have the potential to go way higher but can’t complain coz I don’t wanna be that kid. But at least what keeps me calm is knowing that I can actually achieve that 😁
TheAlchemistress
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Shish_bish)
I feel ya, I am the best in my year and worked my ass off to attain A*A*A and I hate it when the teachers predict other kids higher when they don’t seem to have the potential to go way higher but can’t complain coz I don’t wanna be that kid. But at least what keeps me calm is knowing that I can actually achieve that 😁
Exactly.
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
The highest grade at AS you can get is an A... so I’m not sure how you achieved A*AA in your end of year AS mocks.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
The thing is, I actually ATTAINED THOSE in my end of year AS mocks..

You clearly didn't get those grades because there is no A* at AS level. Your application is down to you- ignore other people and their predictions. If their predictions are too ambitious then they will be without a uni place in August 2019 so it does not benefit them in the slightest.
xEmilyxx
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Predictions aren't everything. You don't know the circumstances around other people's situations. Perhaps this student should have attained better but something in their personal life held them back, a situation known as extenuating circumstances.

You did well in your AS mocks. Now, don't get complacent and achieve those predictions next year. Hardly anyone achieves anything like that so you should be proud of yourself and ignore everyone around you.

(Original post by Shish_bish)
I feel ya, I am the best in my year
I'm hoping you don't have that attitude in your day to day life. It won't make you liked among your peers and neither will you come across as a nice applicant to prospect universities.
icedmangoes
Rep:
What I meant was she didn't get A's in chemistry or biology in any of her tests. In my actual attainment grades (not my mocks), I achieved higher. And yes, it is a terrible thing. They don't deserve to be going to good universities that some people work their socks off for and do better than them yet are predicted lower. Doesn't necessarily affect me, but it affects so many students. These particular people do not deserve a place at a good university. I am allowed to look at their results, I'm on holiday leave anyway!
icedmangoes
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
You clearly didn't get those grades because there is no A* at AS level. Your application is down to you- ignore other people and their predictions. If their predictions are too ambitious then they will be without a uni place in August 2019 so it does not benefit them in the slightest.
They were mocks for one, and I got 87% on my biology paper which is a very high A, so the teacher put me down as an A* in my prediction/attainment.
icedmangoes
Rep:
(Original post by xEmilyxx)
Predictions aren't everything. You don't know the circumstances around other people's situations. Perhaps this student should have attained better but something in their personal life held them back, a situation known as extenuating circumstances.

You did well in your AS mocks. Now, don't get complacent and achieve those predictions next year. Hardly anyone achieves anything like that so you should be proud of yourself and ignore everyone around you.

I'm hoping you don't have that attitude in your day to day life. It won't make you liked among your peers and neither will you come across as a nice applicant to prospect universities.
I know this girl personally and she has had almost nothing going on in her personal life. She just almost never studies at all!
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

i don't really have anything to say about OP here but I just wanted to reply because love the pfp FFXV best
S2M
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by thotproduct)
i don't really have anything to say about OP here but I just wanted to reply because love the pfp FFXV best
Lol because you won’t have this problem.
Shish_bish
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

Well, thanks. That might have not come out right. Sorry.
FYI am that student in an extenuating circumstance. I live on my own , go to college and work. So given the hard work I put in I don’t expect other people to get anything on a silver spoon unless they are in a worse position, I can then understand.
Sorry for my attitude, it’s not always like this, it’s just this post.
kate426
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I use to care about predictions but in the end of the day they are predictions that doesn't mean you'll attain those grades at the end of the year you should focus more on the actual grade because those are what REALLY matter
A job interviewer isn't going to be looking at your predicted grades but your final results.The girl with the fake predicted grades it's just a prediction it's not like the teacher upped her final end of year exam from a D to a B that would be something to worry about
Kirarater
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
So it’s that you should succeed, and others must fail?

Pretty crappy.
MJ4545
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Whatever you get predicted will have no bearing in your final grade. And it's not like u got predicted bad grades. U just need to relax, really ain't a deal
username3927946
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

Predicted grades mean nothing. It's what you actually achieve that matters. Stop freaking out over something so trivial...
icedmangoes
Rep:
You obviously don't understand how predictions work. I got equivalent to an A* on my exam (a very high A because IN AS LEVELS THERE ARE NO A*s). Maybe stop with the trolling.
icedmangoes
Rep:
Lmao yes I do have a right to be deciding who does and doesn't deserve a place. I'm allowed to have an opinion. People strain to get those grades and it simply isn't fair for those people who have actually achieved those grades. I'm allowed to look at their results because they were freaking bragging about them. I do think it is in fact my business when people's grades are pushed up by TWO when they've never gotten those results! Also, there are only a certain amount of offers unis can give out.
icedmangoes
Rep:
(Original post by yessicahaircut)
Predicted grades mean nothing. It's what you actually achieve that matters. Stop freaking out over something so trivial...
"Something so trivial" my ass. You need those to fulfil entry requirements. And they don't fulfil entry requirements and yet are now because their results are FAKE. Dumb piece of ****.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (275)
42.05%
The paper was reasonable (270)
41.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.17%
It was TERRIBLE (49)
7.49%

Watched Threads