English language/psychology/world history as fifth a level

Watch
Georgia Mason
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm taking biology, physics, chemistry and maths. I wish to take a fifth subject but cannot decide between psychology,world history and English language. I want this subject to be relatively easy so I can manage it with my other subjects and one which would demand the least effort among all my subjects. It should improve my essay writing and analytical skills as well as increase my chances of admission into high-tier universities. Pray tell which should I choose.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
that_guy874
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Georgia Mason)
I'm taking biology, physics, chemistry and maths. I wish to take a fifth subject but cannot decide between psychology,world history and English language. I want this subject to be relatively easy so I can manage it with my other subjects and one which would demand the least effort among all my subjects. It should improve my essay writing and analytical skills as well as increase my chances of admission into high-tier universities. Pray tell which should I choose.
I'd strongly recommend looking into doing A-Level Philosophy if possible, if not I'd choose psychology - but bloody hell, isn't four A-Levels enough?
Georgia Mason
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
It should be enough but the college I'm going to, taking 5 Alevels and dropping one at AS level is the norm. So that's the dilemma I'm having - choosing the right 5th AS subject or just continuing with 4 which would have a slight disadvantage since mostly everyone around me is expected to take min 4 and max 6 subjects !
Flocoa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Mhm, I took English Language which was my favourite of all 4 of my A-Levels but it wasn't a walk in the park. I only started hitting straight A*'s in Y13 with my full focus on it. With English Language there's a lot of language analysis and a LOT of theories to memorise, I found that the more extra reading I did around the subject the higher the marks I would get in my essays (so it's pretty time-consuming from my experience). However, it is more forgiving than other subjects that are objective like the sciences.

Does your college allow the option to do an EPQ? I did one alongside my 4 A-Levels in Y12 which is the equivalent to an AS but independently tailored to what you enjoy. From what I've researched from admissions tutors if you do an EPQ in a relevant subject to your degree and put it in your personal statement it shows you are invested in that subject. Also, an EPQ for some universities can lower your grade entry requirements (which is probably the best benefit of it all) whereas I don't believe an AS does. That being said if they don't offer an EPQ then I'd English Language would be a good 5th option, the essays you write require you to be argumentative and analytical to hit the higher grades which is what you're looking for. I'd have a look on your subjects exam board and become acquianted with what they require you to do since it differs board to board. Hope this helped, good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads