The Student Room Group

i dont know why everyone wants a relationship

so basically ive never been in a relationship or on a date, because whenever i get asked out i am not feeling it. It's either that the people arent my cup of tea(hence an immediate no) or if they are , I still decline because I would rather spend that time alone or with friends etcetc

I'm not asexual because I've definitely had crushes in the distant past and once in a while I do look at some people and think they're attractive etc. My thoughts don't usually go beyond appreciating their looks, though.

Is there something wrong with me? Like I genuinely enjoy not being in a relationship and ofcourse I wouldn't know because I've never been in one but whenever someone makes a move to try and get me out of single mode I'm like *shudders*
so if thats how i feel simply being asked out I can't imagine how I would feel being in a full on relationship with someone

anyway this is a very long post where I basically am just wondering if people experience something similar because everyone around me seems to love the idea of being with someone else

thanksssss :biggrin:
Reply 1
Nothing wrong with that. I can definitely relate. I see beautiful couples and I get so envious however the thought of actually being part of a relationship scares me potential heart breaks, commitment, trust issues etc.

I do think that it’s just down to individual preferences, as I’m not interested in being in a relationship any time soon, whereas most of my friends are either in it or dying to be in one.
cuz ur lazy
You’re in a very good position to focus on yourself. It’s so much worse when you’re so desperate for a relationship that you’ll chase anyone.

My ex and I broke up in March, and I’m ambivalent to relationships. Like, they’re a lot of hassle and it restricts your ability to make huge changes in your life, because you’ve got to consider how that person will feel. I’m out of the crap heap of crying over him multiple times a day and convincing myself that he wants me back and I feel now like I’m ‘discovering’ myself as cliche as that sounds, now I’m single. On the other hand, I miss having ‘my person’ and someone that was unconditionally accepting of me, and was always available for a cuddle, a takeaway, a new adventure.

Being single is the healthiest thing for me right now.
(edited 5 years ago)
I thought the opposite XD Round my ends - people just wanna **** - no relationships & don't wanna be cuffed XD
Original post by Anonymous
so basically ive never been in a relationship or on a date, because whenever i get asked out i am not feeling it. It's either that the people arent my cup of tea(hence an immediate no) or if they are , I still decline because I would rather spend that time alone or with friends etcetc

I'm not asexual because I've definitely had crushes in the distant past and once in a while I do look at some people and think they're attractive etc. My thoughts don't usually go beyond appreciating their looks, though.

Is there something wrong with me? Like I genuinely enjoy not being in a relationship and ofcourse I wouldn't know because I've never been in one but whenever someone makes a move to try and get me out of single mode I'm like *shudders*
so if thats how i feel simply being asked out I can't imagine how I would feel being in a full on relationship with someone

anyway this is a very long post where I basically am just wondering if people experience something similar because everyone around me seems to love the idea of being with someone else

thanksssss :biggrin:

Nothing wrong with you. I’ve had a similar experience. I think you are asexual - it’s a spectrum, and asexual people also have crushes and romantic attraction, but because they lack that strong sexual impulse, they basically can’t be bothered to go on a date unless they really care for a person
And why is she lazy? Give me reason, then we might debate.
Reply 7
Original post by Abcdefghijk123
You’re in a very good position to focus on yourself. It’s so much worse when you’re so desperate for a relationship that you’ll chase anyone.

My ex and I broke up in March, and I’m ambivalent to relationships. Like, they’re a lot of hassle and it restricts your ability to make huge changes in your life, because you’ve got to consider how that person will feel. I’m out of the crap heap of crying over him multiple times a day and convincing myself that he wants me back and I feel now like I’m ‘discovering’ myself as cliche as that sounds, now I’m single. On the other hand, I miss having ‘my person’ and someone that was unconditionally accepting of me, and was always available for a cuddle, a takeaway, a new adventure.

Being single is the healthiest thing for me right now.

im really pleased to hear that youve broken out of a relationship that was hindering you like that! that`s another thing that puts me off relationships - you are supposed to care for the person but it also limits you so much in terms of how your actions affect them etc.

as for the unconditional love acceptance thing i guess ive never thought about that in a relationship sense because i am very close with my friends and theyre usually my go to when it comes to adventures and such, so i suggest you seek out getting closer with your friends because its one of the main reasons i dont go into a relationship for the sake of it

im so happy for you man i hope you continue working on yourself!1
Reply 8
Nothing wrong with you. I’ve had a similar experience. I think you are asexual - it’s a spectrum, and asexual people also have crushes and romantic attraction, but because they lack that strong sexual impulse, they basically can’t be bothered to go on a date unless they really care for a person

ahh i see, that description fits me pretty accurately. i`ve always thought asexuality was an absence entirely of any form of interest. thank you for clarifying!!
Reply 9
Original post by remiaitman
cuz ur lazy

lol yes lazy enough to not waste time on pointless dates where im not interested and i could be doing something more fun/productive
Nah relationships are over rated. My ex was always so vindictive and emotional. I had no choice but to end it with her. It was toxic and I almost ended up losing my mind with her.

So yeah being single is the way to go. You invest in yourself rather then someone else. Which is more beneficial.
Reply 11

Have you ever looked into Aspergers or neurodiversity? I only ask as I am and I can relate to the way you talk about relationships, and it's quite easily missed if you function fairly well (especially in women and girls). I didn't find out til I started Uni. Now I'm slightly older, I've had a few relationships, but as a teenager I was not interested at all. I found people attractive, and would fancy them, but wouldn't want a relationship or think sexual thoughts about them.

Maybe look at grey-asexuality which is some attraction. One form is demisexual - where you don't experience sexual feelings until there is a bond established already - so more likely to happen when you've been friends for a while. Or there's only finding people attractive who stimulate you intellectually.

If you are happier not in a relationship then you'll probably have less stress in life. Just make sure it's because you don't want one and you're happier doing your own thing, and not a depression thing where you don't feel worthy of one. There are plenty of people out there like you, so don't worry that there's something wrong :smile:
Hey! You could quite possibly be demisexual? It's part of the asexual spectrum, and means you don't feel sexual attraction to someone unless you already know them very well.
Original post by The Man Of God
Nah relationships are over rated. My ex was always so vindictive and emotional. I had no choice but to end it with her. It was toxic and I almost ended up losing my mind with her.

So yeah being single is the way to go. You invest in yourself rather then someone else. Which is more beneficial.

That's a toxic relationship for sure.

I think a relationship really should be two separate people who mutually enjoy each others company, but who don't really expect a great deal from them, mainly their love, support and company.

One thing I noticed is that there are so so many unbalanced relationships out there where a partner looks to their significant other for entertainment. It's so wrong and it will usually never work out.
Na. I'm the same. When I hear all my friends complain about problems with their boyfriends/girlfriends, I feel secretly relieved that I don't have to deal with. I don't have anyone to answer to and can pretty much just do whatever I want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending