Social media = Success?

Watch
Thinedivine
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have just read a really interesting book 'Deep Work' by Cal Newport after watching his TED talk about deleting social media.

I am on all social medias, and not yet totally convinced by his thinking. This is particularly true regarding his view that social media is not necessary for personal and more to the point, professional success. It seems as though success in one's career is very often correlated with at least one form or more of social media, and this is a tendency only likely to increase.

I wonder, do you think social media is, or is becoming more important to professional success (sector specifics?)?

EDIT; I know it's crucial for businesses, interested more in personal usage
Yeahwhat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Thinedivine)
I have just read a really interesting book 'Deep Work' by Cal Newport after watching his TED talk about deleting social media.

I am on all social medias, and not yet totally convinced by his thinking. This is particularly true regarding his view that social media is not necessary for personal and more to the point, professional success. It seems as though success in one's career is very often correlated with at least one form or more of social media, and this is a tendency only likely to increase.

I wonder, do you think social media is, or is becoming more important to professional success (sector specifics?)?
Social media is the best platform to get your business or products to people.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
i tried to watch his TED Talk but i wasn't much convinced and i found him a bit boring. is his argument that social media decreases our concentration and therefore our inability to think deeply and thrive in the economy?

no, i think social media is a necessary evil for most businesses, unfortunately. that's where consumers look to first and if you have no social media presence you look like you don't understand consumers. plus consumers have the luxury of choice and won't be bothered to research you if you aren't easily accessible.

but for personal use, it's proven that social media causes anxiety and depression, yet we do it anyway. i don't know how to explain it except that's humans for you. maybe it's FOMO.
Thinedivine
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Joleee)
i tried to watch his TED Talk but i wasn't much convinced and i found him a bit boring. is his argument that social media decreases our concentration and therefore our inability to think deeply and thrive in the economy?

no, i think social media is a necessary evil for most businesses, unfortunately. that's where consumers look to first and if you have no social media presence you look like you don't understand consumers. plus consumers have the luxury of choice and won't be bothered to research you if you aren't easily accessible.

but for personal use, it's proven that social media causes anxiety and depression, yet we do it anyway. i don't know how to explain it except that's humans for you. maybe it's FOMO.
Yeah that's pretty much what he's arguing, I understand what he's saying, and I feel it on a personal level in terms of decreased attention span haha but I feel like so many people have experienced the same result. On the other hand, I am optimistic the job market will adapt to suit our changing skills.

I completely agree with you re businesses, crazy how many have blown up since the birth of social media.

And yes... I suppose that's the real major problem. I wonder if instagram and other giants will do anything to address this in the future, scary to think what it looks like if not right?...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads