The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Horrific that things like this are still happening - definitely something that needs to change, and soon.
Why would you even want to hold/go to a pride march in a country like turkey
The police were responding because the marchers were not given the authorisation from the Istanbul governate to carry out the march. They were illegally blocking roads and were arrested as a result.
Probably shouldn’t be blocking traffic without permission then...
We don't need this in Europe. With the rise of Ergodan, Turkey is descending into becoming the Pakistan of Europe. Don't make the same mistake as India and build some sort of barrier between Europe and Turkey, then ensure that the country does not become powerful in any manner whatsoever. We should kick Turkey out of NATO and ensure that it is banned from being part of the EU. A military intervention could ensure that Turkey gets nowhere and we should enforce economic sanctions similar to those being enforced on Iran before things get too bad for Europe.
Reply 6
this is the fourth year Pride's been banned; the other years because it coincided with Ramadan, although this year that wasn't the case. disgusting af.
Reply 7
Original post by AperfectBalance

This shows that they still need them. Hopefully the country gets better.
At the end of the day if they don’t like it and if it’s not part of their culture, we should respect their right to live as they wish and set their own laws. We shouldn’t be trying to make everyone think like we do in the West.
Original post by AperfectBalance

Turkey, while more progressive than many predominately Muslim countries, has a pretty crappy record on LGBT rights. It improved under Erdogan/AKP but as Erdogan has increasingly flirted with Islamism and authoritarianism, attitudes seem to be going backwards.

So a pride event in Istanbul is a way of fighting back against legal discrimination, social repression and the idea that people should keep their sexuality private. Which is precisely the same reasons why Pride events originated in the wake of the Stonewall riots.
If you don’t want to get arrested, don’t break the law
Reply 11
Original post by Mandem67
If you don’t want to get arrested, don’t break the law

Sometimes when the laws are unjust, breaking them is an act of righteousness
Original post by Emms98
Sometimes when the laws are unjust, breaking them is an act of righteousness

So Tommy's streaming outside a court case is now an act of righteousness in your book?
correct decision by Turkey.
Reply 14
Original post by disposable
So Tommy's streaming outside a court case is now an act of righteousness in your book?

in his mind it was -- wasn't that the point? isn't that why he did it?
Original post by Joleee
in his mind it was -- wasn't that the point? isn't that why he did it?

Nah, if you're breaking a law as an act of righteousness you don't go about whining, making excuses and showing regret for it.
Reply 16
Hardly surprising and to be honest this is one of the most minor offences the regime there has/is committing. Indeed, in the grand scheme of things in Turkey i'm afraid to say this is a complete non-event.
Original post by MartinF98
At the end of the day if they don’t like it and if it’s not part of their culture, we should respect their right to live as they wish and set their own laws. We shouldn’t be trying to make everyone think like we do in the West.

I agree that we shouldn't expect everyone to do things the same as us, as a general principle - I strongly disagree that it applies in this instance. If their culture is homophobic, or otherwise discriminatory, I see no reason why we should respect those parts of it.

Original post by halolha
correct decision by Turkey.

How can this be classed as a correct decision?

Posted from TSR Mobile
And the say Turkey is a moderate Islamic country.

Fools.
Original post by shadowdweller
I agree that we shouldn't expect everyone to do things the same as us, as a general principle - I strongly disagree that it applies in this instance. If their culture is homophobic, or otherwise discriminatory, I see no reason why we should respect those parts of it.

How can this be classed as a correct decision?

Posted from TSR Mobile

apparently if I break a law, I get beaten up now.

Mind you, were they given any form of warnings before this? Seems to me they just got in and started beating people up.

Quick Reply

Latest