The Student Room Group

What will be expected at my developer interview?

I have a junior web developer interview coming up.

It will be based on php, Javascript etc.

I wish to know based on your experiences will they ask me to quickly develop a one page website or technical questions as in when do I use a while loop?

Many thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
It's not unusual for that to happen - you may be left in a room for an hour with a one or more tasks to solve using a laptop, an IDE, and then whatever information you can dig up from google/stackoverflow and that would be a fairly normal way to assess your coding skills.

I've also been to interviews where there's been a test paper with technical questions on it - e.g. asking you to explain some code, spot an error, testing your knowledge of a language, or questions to test your analytical and problem solving skills.

Other times an interviewer asks pre-prepared questions to probe your understanding and experience as well as to ask you to explain the things on your CV or talk about projects you've worked with (the university FYP is a very common one for graduates). You may also be given a "whiteboard" task with a problem to solve in front of the interviewer and asked to talk through your approach to that problem. Depending on the length of the interview you may have a combination of all these things. Ideally, parts of the interview will end up being a bit more conversational too - it's a really good sign when your interview turns into a bit more of a two-way process instead of just answering a relentless barrage of questions for an hour.

You'll often find a lot of companies deliberately make technical and coding tests longer than most people would be able to complete within the time allowed; sometimes the tests are exactly the same for all engineers at all levels with the expectation that junior engineers will probably run out of time halfway through the test, or that there'll be questions on some topics that junior engineers and graduates aren't expected to know about.

Don't worry if you have a test where you can't answer the questions - usually the test happens at the beginning, lead on to a later discussion about the code or answers. If you put down the wrong answer or miss things out then then interviewers are likely to revisit it and perhaps ask you to talk through your thought process, or maybe try to prompt you with some extra hints - the tests only exist for them to help decide your suitability for the job, it usually isn't like an exam where you get points/grades at the end.

If you've got a question which you have no idea how to answer, then it's generally fine to say "I don't know but I could find out on Google" - in reality that's what everybody does when they've hit a problem that they can't easily solve on their own. If you're offered the job, you'd be expected to make extensive use of Google and StackOverflow while you're building up your experience with whatever tools, languages and frameworks are used, so the interviewers will expect you to be comfortable using google and stackoverflow as learning and research tools.

Good luck with your interview! Try to stay as calm and relaxed as you possibly can in the circumstances - it helps a lot! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by winterscoming
It's not unusual for that to happen - you may be left in a room for an hour with a one or more tasks to solve using a laptop, an IDE, and then whatever information you can dig up from google/stackoverflow and that would be a fairly normal way to assess your coding skills.

I've also been to interviews where there's been a test paper with technical questions on it - e.g. asking you to explain some code, spot an error, testing your knowledge of a language, or questions to test your analytical and problem solving skills.

Other times an interviewer asks pre-prepared questions to probe your understanding and experience as well as to ask you to explain the things on your CV or talk about projects you've worked with (the university FYP is a very common one for graduates). You may also be given a "whiteboard" task with a problem to solve in front of the interviewer and asked to talk through your approach to that problem. Depending on the length of the interview you may have a combination of all these things. Ideally, parts of the interview will end up being a bit more conversational too - it's a really good sign when your interview turns into a bit more of a two-way process instead of just answering a relentless barrage of questions for an hour.

You'll often find a lot of companies deliberately make technical and coding tests longer than most people would be able to complete within the time allowed; sometimes the tests are exactly the same for all engineers at all levels with the expectation that junior engineers will probably run out of time halfway through the test, or that there'll be questions on some topics that junior engineers and graduates aren't expected to know about.

Don't worry if you have a test where you can't answer the questions - usually the test happens at the beginning, lead on to a later discussion about the code or answers. If you put down the wrong answer or miss things out then then interviewers are likely to revisit it and perhaps ask you to talk through your thought process, or maybe try to prompt you with some extra hints - the tests only exist for them to help decide your suitability for the job, it usually isn't like an exam where you get points/grades at the end.

If you've got a question which you have no idea how to answer, then it's generally fine to say "I don't know but I could find out on Google" - in reality that's what everybody does when they've hit a problem that they can't easily solve on their own. If you're offered the job, you'd be expected to make extensive use of Google and StackOverflow while you're building up your experience with whatever tools, languages and frameworks are used, so the interviewers will expect you to be comfortable using google and stackoverflow as learning and research tools.

Good luck with your interview! Try to stay as calm and relaxed as you possibly can in the circumstances - it helps a lot! :smile:

Thank you very much for your awesome response! Very much appreciated and this will help others :smile:
Original post by Analyst89
I have a junior web developer interview coming up.

It will be based on php, Javascript etc.

I wish to know based on your experiences will they ask me to quickly develop a one page website or technical questions as in when do I use a while loop?

Many thanks

Well that depends on company too because in my experience some companies have asked me to develop web page and some companies have asked me only technical related questions so be ready prepare for both and also go through this article which might helpful too.Thank You.

Preparation Tips For The Programming Interview
Solid advice. I second that. Also even experienced devs use google. Someone today with 20 years exp had to google sthe documentation for soemthing earily today. (Sorry about the typing, whenever I try and type on this site my cursor skips around and makes things very difficult.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending