Which degree is most appropriate for a career in Actuary?

Watch
Pakora99
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Currently I'm thinking of doing Maths and Economics
and I really want to have a career in actuary
I've heard a MORSE type course is good or a Maths degree
Not sure on which degree is most appropriate
alevelphysicist
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well technically actuarial science would be the most suitable as you can do some of the initial exams to become an actuary whilst at uni. Maths and/ or economics obviously are not as focussed on being an actuary, but are still really good and offer a wider range of career paths if you find being an actuary is not for you. My old maths teacher who did maths at uni became an actuary before becoming a teacher.
Toki the Dumdum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Pakora99)
Currently I'm thinking of doing Maths and Economics
and I really want to have a career in actuary
I've heard a MORSE type course is good or a Maths degree
Not sure on which degree is most appropriate
Do what interests you most imo. Best to choose the subject that's most likely to get you a first or a 2:1. Actuarial Science would leave you in a good position as you'd take some exemptions with you but that shouldn't be the only consideration. What other requirements do companies require for internships, placements or grad jobs? Are any of these other skills covered somewhat in other numerate degrees? Very important alongside your degree choice (any numerate degree will put you in a good position) is making sure you improve, and can evidence, all the soft skills and skills not provided by the degree you might need.
xdopaminex
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It would be better if you search up some university websites and find out for yourself the entry requirements for actuarial science. Usually, the entry requirements will give you an idea of what subjects will be helpful to you if you want to do actuarial science. In my opinion, actuarial science is very quantitative-based course so mathematics is essential in the course. English may also help you with the course as it will equip you with the skills necessary to do well in presentations and report writing. Economics is also helpful but won't be necessary as you will be taught this during your early years in university. I hope this answers your question.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Acturial science is your best bet, because that way you can really see if you enjoy it first year, and if not transfer to maths or something else numeration based which wouldnt be an issue. Exemptions are also nice for getting a job later.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.9%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.9%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (68)
26.67%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.43%

Watched Threads