The Student Room Group

Getting into university - Psychology

Hi,

I am studying Health and Social Care Level 3 Extended Diploma (I’m at the end of year 12) and have decided that I would like to study psychology at university. Would I be able to get in with my health and social care qualifications? Also, is there anything that I couldn’t do do to boost my chances of getting in for psychology - work experience, volunteering, etc?

Thanks.
Original post by Chels123
Hi,

I am studying Health and Social Care Level 3 Extended Diploma (I’m at the end of year 12) and have decided that I would like to study psychology at university. Would I be able to get in with my health and social care qualifications? Also, is there anything that I couldn’t do do to boost my chances of getting in for psychology - work experience, volunteering, etc?

Thanks.

Many psychology courses ask for science qualifications at level 3, so your choice of unis may be limited. You should look at different unis you're interested in and see if they would accept your qualification. If you're unsure, you could email unis to find out.

Psychology is an academic course and it's often very hard to get relevant work experience under the age of 18. Very often, people are only able to get work experience if they have good family contacts, for example. This can help your application- but many tutors won't put too much weight on it, as they know not everyone can access these opportunities. Instead, you're better off focusing on showing you academic interest in psychology through extra reading, attending open lectures, summer schools etc.

However, if a uni thinks your qualifications aren't suitable, it's unlikely your PS will make any difference to you being accepted or not.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply! I’ve been looking at universities and most say that they will accept an Extended Diploma BTEC. I’ve emailed to see if my course applies and booked open days to explore my options.

The course does have some modules that include science and I’ve been looking at online courses but I’m not sure whether these would be useful.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Chels123
Thanks for your reply! I’ve been looking at universities and most say that they will accept an Extended Diploma BTEC. I’ve emailed to see if my course applies and booked open days to explore my options.

The course does have some modules that include science and I’ve been looking at online courses but I’m not sure whether these would be useful.

Online courses could be good for your PS, but otherwise they're unlikely to make a huge difference if a uni thinks your qualifications aren't suitable. It sounds like you've found some unis that will accept your qualifications,though, so that's great!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending