Why do so many people hate this country whilst living in it? Watch

This discussion is closed.
RickHendricks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So a mini rant basically but it's something I've noticed as a trend happening on TSR but also many other places.

I'm not going to go into details of who makes those statements, but I've noticed that the hatred towards the UK from people living in it is so large compared to other countries.

Now, I've traveled to a lot of places and I can assure you, more people hate the UK from inside the country than outside.

Honestly I don't get why.
It provides so many things from inside the country: Free education, free healthcare, benefits, and yet people still **** on it by mocking things and saying stuff like "stupid western culture". Sure they may be few things wrong with it, but so what? Nothing is 100% perfect and at most times some things are in place due to a reason.

Why is it that if I said something bad about a country in Asia I'm a bigot and a nationalist, but the other way is seen as embracing or some ********?

For example, take this: Yesterday in the span of 1 hour, I literally saw 3 threads taking the piss of the English football team. When I asked most of them why, their answer had nothing to do with the actual English team, but the fact that they are English. It's so stupid and unneeded. How hard is to appreciate some things?
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Bruh, they were made to complain. It's an English thing
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 year ago
people will always find something to complain about. arguably, it's a biological survival mechanism to spot 'what's wrong', so you can fix said wrong and therefore survive.

but i agree with OP that the whinging is annoying AF.
Just my opinion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Relatively generous benefits Inc the NHS.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think most people do complain. But the very nature of complainers is that they tend to be heard where as the silent majority of those who are on the whole content go unnoticed. It is therefore a self-fulfilling prophecy that we only every hear the moaners.
Golden State
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A lot of people hate the UK for various reasons, but then when they go abroad they come to the realisation that the UK is actually better than most countries.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think a lot of it is just general complaining about specific things, rather than saying it's a bad country. My words to those that genuinely hate this country is always the same - if you don't like it, f*** off and live somewhere else.
AppleB
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I agree OP.
disposable
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Golden State)
A lot of people hate the UK for various reasons, but then when they go abroad they come to the realisation that the UK is actually better than most countries.
The UK is still quite bad in terms of the developed world. The UK gets dragged into the mid-Atlantic where we're left with this centrist "pleasant" society that's as livable as watching paint dry.
JustSomeoneAlone
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Chavs.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RickHendricks)
it's something I've noticed as a trend happening on TSR but also many other places.
You think this is new?

It's been going on centuries... Well done for only just noticing though :rolleyes:
Golden State
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by disposable)
The UK is still quite bad in terms of the developed world. The UK gets dragged into the mid-Atlantic where we're left with this centrist "pleasant" society that's as livable as watching paint dry.
It's been bad for awhile because the governments (past and present) don't really care about the average UK citizens, especially the working class.
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Could be due to jealous insecurity, especially when those taking the piss are of foreign descent.

This was quote common in my sixth form: those of foreign descent would usually consider themselves foreign (i.e. Italian, French etc.) despite having grown up here and would always be harping on about how their “native” country was better. It’s a way to perhaps mask their possible insecurity that deep down they know the UK is better in some ways?

I think it’s a similar reason for why British ex-pats suddenly become much more patriotic when they move abroad for retirement: it gives them a sense of identity and something to be super proud of. That’s why in parts of Spain you’ll find entire British communities with English flags everywhere even though these same people would never have done that when they lived in the UK.
AndrewBlue
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sooo many immigrants hate it. Because theyre *******s. The largest part of them are too miserable to learn the language. The others are too miserable to integrate. Like this whole gigantic island is a miserable prison. No, it's only their share of it that they aren't looking to accept or improve anyway. I'm an immigrant. I'm smart and I profit. I despise these negativity complex children.

I will say however, 9k a year for uni is just pure misery :/
Daniel.Scribbler
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RickHendricks)
So a mini rant basically but it's something I've noticed as a trend happening on TSR but also many other places.

I'm not going to go into details of who makes those statements, but I've noticed that the hatred towards the UK from people living in it is so large compared to other countries.

Now, I've traveled to a lot of places and I can assure you, more people hate the UK from inside the country than outside.

Honestly I don't get why.
It provides so many things from inside the country: Free education, free healthcare, benefits, and yet people still **** on it by mocking things and saying stuff like "stupid western culture". Sure they may be few things wrong with it, but so what? Nothing is 100% perfect and at most times some things are in place due to a reason.

Why is it that if I said something bad about a country in Asia I'm a bigot and a nationalist, but the other way is seen as embracing or some ********?

For example, take this: Yesterday in the span of 1 hour, I literally saw 3 threads taking the piss of the English football team. When I asked most of them why, their answer had nothing to do with the actual English team, but the fact that they are English. It's so stupid and unneeded. How hard is to appreciate some things?
The problem lies not in the British people, it's a common wicked trait of human nature: we constantly get dissatisfied with our life, and especially the country we live in, though we can suddenly realize that our situation is not the worst. It's so funny for me that English complain about their life... Let them just think about the situation in India, some parts of Africa, Asia... well, compare England to Ukraine -- an awkward country in the center of Europe, which is both a developing one and culturally rich and authentic: I meet people from Ukraine from time to time, they truly have many problems, extremely low salaries and high prices; the English won't even imagine surviving on that budget but Ukrainians even seem to be happier, they have learnt to get together and fight for their rights; they haven't overcome corruption but their faith in the good future can do wonders: I will not jokingly say that Ukraine has the potential to become an affluent country in 50 years. I'm also not an Englishman, but to tell you the truth, my version of the UK has always been idealized: I love its landscapes, architecture, culture... ironically, when you have it, you don't notice it.
disposable
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Golden State)
It's been bad for awhile because the governments (past and present) don't really care about the average UK citizens, especially the working class.
I think a lot of it is cultural too. For example, why does Paris mostly look like a museum whereas London looks like a landfill site? Parisians cared more about art and upkeep.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
firstly - its very true. Ive lived in 2 countries, and spent time in many more, and the UK is far far more open to self-hatred then the rest. And its not just 'oh we are english, we love to complain!' - England used to complain, but also be fiercely patriotic.

Here is the difference (in large parts of middle-class Britain that is. Working class Britain is still very patriotic, as is Upper class Britain)

50 years ago:
A group of English people spend the evening in a pub complaining about England.. a foreign person says how bad England is, and all become defensive and tell them to go **** themselves, and that England is a great country.

today:
A group of English people spend the evening in a pub complaining about England.. a foreign person says how bad England is.. and all the English people agree.

= you can complain, and still love your country, and be patriotic. I can complain about my sister, but if you say something bad about her - that's not on. Etc.

---

Generally the self-loathing comes from 2 groups:

1, young trendy liberal professionals/students
2, second+ generation immigrants.

These tend to just want to follow whats cool. They have no understanding of English history, because our teaching of history at school is dire.. and they find other cultures to be much more fascinating and (although they wouldn't say it) exotic. They view everything that is British as 'the standard' - its the beige wall of their life.. its just normal, so they don't see how amazing it is. But anything foreign stands out as being different against the beige wall, and that looks amazing. So they make comments saying 'Like.. Does the UK even have a culture???' 'The UKs culture? it all comes from other places' -- both are idiotic and lack any grasp of the huge roll that the UK has had on global development, and just how massively influential British culture has been on the world.

With this group its just ignorance. They live in a country which has had one of the top 5 biggest impacts culturally on the entire world, and yet they view it having no redeemable values or culture.

These are not first generation immigrants. By and large, first generation immigrants are very very secure in their identities, and often become some of the most patriotic members of society. But after the first generation ends, a process starts to happen, that gets worse and worse by generation. Second+ generation immigrants begin to loose scope of their national identity, and become very insecure over their roots.

On the one hand, they know they are not treated as a 100% British person. They still face discrimination, prejudice, lack of representation etc. But at the same time, they will never be treated 100% as the nationality of their parents. Say a British born Chinese person. They will never be treated identically to a white British person.. but if they came to China? They would be viewed by people here in China as being far more British then Chinese.

So they don't have that solid identity of I am this. This is where I am from, and this is who I am. First generation immigrants don't have this. They are incredibly secure in their nationality and identity, and they are also generally very grateful for Britain for giving them an opportunity at a better life.

The lack of a clear second+ generational identity manifests itself in resentment towards their host culture. They read a few wiki articles on bad things that Britain has done in the past.. they see a bit of miss-treatment in their daily lives, and they grow up hating the country they live in.. whilst also venomously defending that they are part of the country. Its not their fault, its just a product of rapid mass immigration that as a society we are still slowly catching up to solving.

These are the types who will put Churchill as the worst person ever to have lived, and claim the British Empire was worse then the Nazi's, and that the UK is a terrible racist country.

---

Anyway, the two groups together are where I see 90% of the self-hating coming from.
username1221160
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It is very difficult to like a nation that choses to be the most obese in Western Europe.
HighOnGoofballs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're misinterpreting complaints, concerns and negative remarks as hate. Just general 'British-ness' really.

Never met a single person who hates the UK - and if they do, they can f**k off someplace else.
tamilk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
SO many people say "bloody uk" and they say it as a joke, and being cynical is a British thing
I've never met one person that genuinely hates the uk
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (208)
23.64%
Pop (218)
24.77%
Jazz (33)
3.75%
Classical (49)
5.57%
Hip-Hop (169)
19.2%
Electronic (60)
6.82%
Indie (143)
16.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise