University of Glasgow, UK MSc in Statistics or NUS MSc Statistics (Coursework)? Watch

hisumai
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have received offers of study for studying M.Sc. in Statistics as well as M.Res. in Advanced Statistics at the University of Glasgow, the UK which will commence in Sep'18. The duration is 1 Year.

I have also received an offer of studying M.Sc. in Statistics (By Coursework) at National University of Singapore (NUS) which will commence in Aug'18. The Minimum duration is 2 years.

I am from the South Asian Region and I will have to study either of the above-mentioned programmes as a self-funded candidate. As of now, my academic background comprises a Bachelor Degree in Engineering followed by a Masters Degree in the area of Operations Research.

My first objective, after completion of either of the degree programmes, is initially to get a job in the area of Applied Statistics (in the UK or in Singapore) and later, to pursue a Ph.D. degree in the area of Statistics either in US University or in UK University.
So far, following are some information that I happen to know of:
  • The 1-year UK PG Degree is not recognized as equivalent to degrees granted by universities in South Asia.
  • Tuition Fees and Living Costs are very high both in the UK as well as in Singapore.
  • Presently, getting Jobs in UK Organization is very difficult for
    Non-EU candidates.
  • Singapore does have Service Obligation Scheme for International
    Candidates.
  • But, National University of Singapore prioritizes Research-based
    Programmes compared to Coursework-based programmes.

So, can you please suggest which of the above-mentioned degree programmes I should pursue, keeping in line with my future objective?

Do US Universities recognizes the 1-year UK PG Degree in order to pursue a Ph.D. degree?

In terms of Research in Statistics, which University fares better - Glasgow University or NUS? If I decide to do Ph.D. later, which University will be a better choice?

Which M.Sc. degree Programme is more mathematically rigorous - is it in Glasgow University or is it in NUS?

Is it better to pursue M.Res. in Advanced Statistics compared to M.Sc. in Statistics at Glasgow University since I already have a Master's degree?

In terms of cost of living, which city is less expensive - Glasgow or Singapore
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (186)
67.64%
No (89)
32.36%

Watched Threads