Anyone with AirPods? Are they worth it?

Watch
username1075708
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey! I own an iPhone 8, and I'm considering purchasing AirPods.

They're £159 though. Are they worth it? Loads of people are recommending them to me. I have the normal wired Apple earphones, but since I had my older iPhone, I miss the ability to charge and listen to music at the same time (e.g. if I'm travelling on a train).

I was looking at adapters and I don't want huge big cables. They're all quite expensive too, unless you buy the Chinese stuff which I don't trust.

I know other bluetooth/wireless earphones exist, but the Apple ones seem to be the only ones that stay in my ears. I don't like the earphones with the funny little plastic/rubber bits on the end either.

Thanks!
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 2scotty)
Hey! I own an iPhone 8, and I'm considering purchasing AirPods.

They're £159 though. Are they worth it? Loads of people are recommending them to me. I have the normal wired Apple earphones, but since I had my older iPhone, I miss the ability to charge and listen to music at the same time (e.g. if I'm travelling on a train).

I was looking at adapters and I don't want huge big cables. They're all quite expensive too, unless you buy the Chinese stuff which I don't trust.

I know other bluetooth/wireless earphones exist, but the Apple ones seem to be the only ones that stay in my ears. I don't like the earphones with the funny little plastic/rubber bits on the end either.

Thanks!
From an objective standpoint no, they're not worth it. You're paying for the seamless pairing and complete lack of wires, but you're getting sound quality that's barely a step up from the bog standard earpods. But if you want to listen while you charge and you don't like the fit of conventional in-ear monitors, they're your only real option.
ChewingOnTinfoil
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I bought the airpods when I was on holiday because they were cheaper due to tax and currency conversion at the time and havent regret it once!

I personally love the airpods and think that if you’re thinking about buying them, then do. (I have a mac and ipad and iphone so they link to all of these which I find handy)
But on the other hand, theres rumours of a newer model of airpods to be released later this year which could have better specifications than the current ones. So it’s really up to whether you want to buy now, or wait for the newer version.
FloralHybrid
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It’s really a personal thing. I have, use and really like them - But I wouldn’t have purchased them myself, because of the price, as mine were a gift.

I don’t like over-ear headphones, and always used Apple ones. But the wires always broke, so I really like the air pods. Personally, if you think it’s worth the money for you, then go for it. I think the sound quality is better than I’ve experienced with the regular ones on a lead, and I’ve always found over-ear headphones to be really muffled, even Beats.
username3753020
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
From an objective standpoint no, they're not worth it. You're paying for the seamless pairing and complete lack of wires, but you're getting sound quality that's barely a step up from the bog standard earpods. But if you want to listen while you charge and you don't like the fit of conventional in-ear monitors, they're your only real option.
Completely disagree. I've got an X and use AirPods, and trust me they are worth every penny. As soon as you open them they automatically connect to any iCloud device be it Mac or iPhone seamlessly. They are incredibly loud and all the features are integrated into your phone, not to mention the wireless charging. At first I was skeptical, but they integrate in everything so well and are thunderous! Best purchase I've made in a long time. Do it, you will not regret it. I guarantee you.
ChewingOnTinfoil
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by s.m30)
Completely disagree. I've got an X and use AirPods, and trust me they are worth every penny. As soon as you open them they automatically connect to any iCloud device be it Mac or iPhone seamlessly. They are incredibly loud and all the features are integrated into your phone, not to mention the wireless charging. At first I was skeptical, but they integrate in everything so well and are thunderous! Best purchase I've made in a long time. Do it, you will not regret it. I guarantee you.
Do you not have to pay extra for wireless charging though? I thought it was a special case needed.
connormc199
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Honestly I'd recommend reverting to the IPhone 6S, its essentially the same phone (Had an 8) but i prefer the 6S unambiguously as its more practical (I can charge my phone and listen to earphones) and i despise not having a pressable home button.
Purely personal preference^ and i realise i've digressed massively from the topic question
ChewingOnTinfoil
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by connormc199)
Honestly I'd recommend reverting to the IPhone 6S, its essentially the same phone (Had an 8) but i prefer the 6S unambiguously as its more practical (I can charge my phone and listen to earphones) and i despise not having a pressable home button.
Purely personal preference^ and i realise i've digressed massively from the topic question
The X doesnt have a home button, but the 8 does. What was the point there?
connormc199
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ChewingOnTinfoil)
The X doesnt have a home button, but the 8 does. What was the point there?
"a pressable home button" I was basically highlighting my resentment of newer IPhone models. I am aware that the 8, alike the 7 has a Home button, alike the former model it is pressure detecting not a physical inward moving button.
username3753020
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ChewingOnTinfoil)
Do you not have to pay extra for wireless charging though? I thought it was a special case needed.
Nope. The current generation AirPods can be wirelessly charged.
ChewingOnTinfoil
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by connormc199)
"a pressable home button" I was basically highlighting my resentment of newer IPhone models. I am aware that the 8, alike the 7 has a Home button, alike the former model it is pressure detecting not a physical inward moving button.
You can change how you press it in settings though which is useful
ChewingOnTinfoil
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by s.m30)
Nope. The current generation AirPods can be wirelessly charged.
Where did you find this? I can’t seem to find anywhere on apple website saying it’s wireless charging or a wireless charging case?
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why not just get some proper headphones :confused:
lizzawh0rus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not worth at all imo. Skullcandy has a few affordable options, though they're not 100% like the airpods. Still, they're a much better value.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Am I right in thinking that AirPods are headphones that Apple brought out for their phones because they removed the 3.5mm headphone jack meaning you now had to buy their AirPods for £160?
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
Am I right in thinking that AirPods are headphones that Apple brought out for their phones because they removed the 3.5mm headphone jack meaning you now had to buy their AirPods for £160?
You don't have to buy them, Apple include a pair of wired earpods with Lightning connector as well as a Lightning to 3.5mm adaptor in the box with every iPhone lacking the 3.5mm jack. But Apple absolutely want to push the market towards wireless audio being the new standard, hence the creation of the Airpods.
MongoDB
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Of course they're not, headphones with 10x better sound quality can be bought for half the price.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
You don't have to buy them, Apple include a pair of wired earpods with Lightning connector as well as a Lightning to 3.5mm adaptor in the box with every iPhone lacking the 3.5mm jack. But Apple absolutely want to push the market towards wireless audio being the new standard, hence the creation of the Airpods.
Ah right. Should have 3.5mm jacks tbh.

(Original post by mongodb)
Of course they're not, headphones with 10x better sound quality can be bought for half the price.
:cool:
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
Ah right. Should have 3.5mm jacks tbh.
Yep, but Apple have made it very clear that they want to push the market firmly towards wireless audio, and by setting the trend in removing the headphone jack they've got half the mobile industry to follow them. Similar to how they eliminated disk drives in their Mac lineups when they wanted to start speeding up the death of physical media, except that was an inevitability with tangible benefits while trying to kill wired audio connectivity is both unnecessary and ultimately harmful to the headphone industry.
MJ1012
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You not tempting to sell the iPhone and get an older model with a 3.5 jack?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads