Kateec03
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m writing a speech for English and have no idea what to do it on any ideas?
l_ecn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kateec03)
I’m writing a speech for English and have no idea what to do it on any ideas?
Just some interesting, broad subjects you could use-

-Child marriage
-why are certain crimes illegal in some nations but not in others
-differences in childhood in different countries
-child soldiers
-obesity crisis (comparing healthier nations with high life expectancy rates like Japan to US and U.K.- similarly high life expectancy but we are very unhealthy, keeping the overweight alive through drugs and not changing life style)
-drugs (there are countries that have legalised all drugs and have seen a massive drop in deaths- drugs are heavily criminalised in the U.K. but we still have lots of drug related deaths and people in prison for supplying/using.. you could talk about the effectiveness of different treatments e.g Abstinence and rehab vs methadone treatment- have a look at the Russell brand documentary about heroin treatment in the U.K.! Well worth a watch on YouTube)

Hope this has given you an idea- mine was based on similar topics and I got a distinction
bfm.mcdermott
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You could do it on social issues e.g. sexism, racism, homophobia, animal cruelty, sexual abuse, domestic violence, etc.

Also you could research an illness and raise awareness of it. I did a speech on dementia last year for English

If you have something which you can relate a personal story to or invole sympathy with, that’s always useful.
Trust Orang
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do a speech about the things you love and why, but then flip the next bit of the speech so it's all about why you are wrong to love them. Say that it is exploring the relationship between the piece of writing, the listener, and the author by debasing the content of the speech and forcing the audience to consider the author rather than the speech. "What is she thinking, why did she just say she was wrong? Isn't this supposed to be persuasive?". Say that if people are confused, the speech is a functional piece of equipment and ask your teacher "If the piece is redundant, but even though it negates itself as an internally inconsistent piece, it functions as I intended, are the audience engaging with it? Or have the audience no choice but to discard the semantically worthless piece and engage only with me?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
38.14%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
9.79%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.19%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.74%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.89%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise