English language or Sociology Watch

Alexfletcher
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I’m picking my A-levels for collage and I’m stuck between either doing English Language or Sociology. I know I definitely want to do photography and media studies but I don’t know if by picking sociology all my subjects would be ‘soft’. I know a lot of English language is creative writing which I’m definitely not as good as so I’m stuck with what I should pick. Both look interesting but I like the sound of sociology more but will English language look better?
TSR Jessica
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
Flocoa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi! I've finished my A-Levels this summer and happened to take English Language (unfortunately not Sociology but I hope I am of help regardless). English Language was my favourite subject as it had the right balance of nitty gritty analysing (with grammar for example) and wider theory debates (like how gender impacts our language). It depends on your exam board (I did AQA) but the only time I did any creative writing was for my coursework which only formed like 1/4 of the coursework mark. Alongside our creative piece (article, story, poem etc.) we had to make a commentary which was marked for another 1/4 of the coursework mark.

The other half of coursework was doing our own language investigation (which was so fun compared to other coursework I did in English Literature, History and Art). At the end of the day it depends on what you are interested in if you are more intrigued by sociology then take that.

There's always the option to change subjects in those early stages of sixth form/college so don't stress about making the wrong decision (there were plenty of people at my sixth form in Y12 who switched subjects after a few weeks of term). I wouldn't look so much at what looks good, because I could take Maths for example because it looks good but completely flop in it because I detest the actual subject. Go with what you think you will enjoy and succeed in because it will hopefully reflect in the grades! Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (73)
16.01%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (46)
10.09%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (87)
19.08%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (64)
14.04%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (48)
10.53%
How can I be the best version of myself? (138)
30.26%

Watched Threads