The Student Room Group

Swollen lymph nodes for 4 years?

Hi,

I have had swollen nodes for 4 years, they are on both sides of my neck just above my collarbone and I was wondering if they could be lymphoma? I visited a doctor when I first noticed them and they done a blood test which came back clear, they just brushed it off as nothing wrong, anyway 4 years later they are still there, I haven’t had any symptoms such as night sweats or fatigue, Would cancerous lymph nodes last 4 years?

Thanks
Reply 1
I would advise you to go check it again with the doctor but I think you will be fine considering you've had it for 4 years :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Sayed M
I would advise you to go check it again with the doctor but I think you will be fine considering you've had it for 4 years :smile:

Thank you, yeah I will get it checked again, really worried
Reply 3
Anyone think this could be lymphoma?
Reply 4
Original post by Volibear
If you have a swollen lymph node from an infection, it won't always go back to its original size. If you are concerned go to your GP. Don't ask for a TSR diagnosis of cancer.

Thanks for your reply, have a doc appointment for next week booked, hopefully it’s nothing bad, the lymph nodes are probably 3 centimetres wide
Reply 5
I have the same thing and have had it for 5+ years. Never thought anything of it :s-smilie:

Is it soft and movable?
Reply 6
Original post by Eodi
I have the same thing and have had it for 5+ years. Never thought anything of it :s-smilie:

Is it soft and movable?

Just soft and and puffy, on both sides
Original post by Volibear
Don't need to tell me this. Tell your doctor. About two months ago I had a lymph node that suddenly came up and was huge and had abnormal blood work. They took all the precautions for lymphoma and I had an ultrasound to have a look and it showed the node were reacting normally to something. The node decreased in size, as did all the other ones that popped up, but not all of them have gone back to their original size. The chance of what you have being anything serious is slim but it's good you have an appointment. But stop google searching this because even though dodgy lymph nodes can be caused by numerous things, lymphoma is always the thing that shows up the most. It's not worth stressing yourself out.

Yeah it seems like lymphoma could be the only possible reason for these lumps when I google, not going to google anymore

No never had mono, thanks for all of your replies :smile:
Reply 7
I've got about 5 lymph nodes all over my neck that I've been able to feel for years. Some are hard, others are hard to find and are softer. To me they feel huge and are so noticeable but any time a doctor feels them, they say pea sized is fine and that my blood work is fine and since they haven't grown in years and I haven't developed any further symptoms, then that means they are harmless and probably from a past infection and sometimes they don't go back down after it. Admittedly, I used to play with mine all the time and that has maybe kept them up. I used to and still sometimes do, worry about lymphoma but after 4 years, you would know all about it if you had that. I've had mine for 5 years now but they could have been swollen before that and I just never noticed. Doctors usually don't care about lymph nodes until they become a lot bigger than pea sized and if you develop a lot more of them with other symptoms.

I know its hard not to Google health related stuff. I suffer from severe OCD and health anxiety and one of my traits is to Google health symptoms and I could do that literally all day long and of course, I found no relief in it. Everything equalled either cancer or death.

I know its easier said than done since I am in the same boat, but please try not to worry about this. You've had blood work done and the doctor has felt your lymph nodes and determined you are fine :hugs:
Reply 8
It's common. Nothing to worry about, I have the same and had them checked multiple times, even had scans. They can remain enlarged after an infection and stay that way forever. As a side note, if they were cancerous, you would not still be healthy after four years. You'd know about it, so try to not worry about them :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Rum Ham
I've got about 5 lymph nodes all over my neck that I've been able to feel for years. Some are hard, others are hard to find and are softer. To me they feel huge and are so noticeable but any time a doctor feels them, they say pea sized is fine and that my blood work is fine and since they haven't grown in years and I haven't developed any further symptoms, then that means they are harmless and probably from a past infection and sometimes they don't go back down after it. Admittedly, I used to play with mine all the time and that has maybe kept them up. I used to and still sometimes do, worry about lymphoma but after 4 years, you would know all about it if you had that. I've had mine for 5 years now but they could have been swollen before that and I just never noticed. Doctors usually don't care about lymph nodes until they become a lot bigger than pea sized and if you develop a lot more of them with other symptoms.

I know its hard not to Google health related stuff. I suffer from severe OCD and health anxiety and one of my traits is to Google health symptoms and I could do that literally all day long and of course, I found no relief in it. Everything equalled either cancer or death.

I know its easier said than done since I am in the same boat, but please try not to worry about this. You've had blood work done and the doctor has felt your lymph nodes and determined you are fine :hugs:

Original post by cxlvin
It's common. Nothing to worry about, I have the same and had them checked multiple times, even had scans. They can remain enlarged after an infection and stay that way forever. As a side note, if they were cancerous, you would not still be healthy after four years. You'd know about it, so try to not worry about them :smile:

Words can’t describe how much you guys have put my mind at ease, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest