The Student Room Group

Opinions on weed?

So I’m no one to judge anyone’s habits and I hear there can be supposed benefits.. however from experiences of seeing friends start with weed to then going on to stronger drugs I find the concept of legalisation highly concerning. By weakening its gravitas in the legal system surely this will decrease the sense of deterrence to experiment with drugs, not only weed too.

Many of my peers who use it recreationally have gone from hard-working, high achievers to passive, unmotivated potatoes.
It is a great source of cancer. And by that I mean people posting videos of them smoking it on their Snapchat stories.
Reply 2
Legalising it will allow the government to tax and control it. Funding healthcare, education and avoiding the extremely dangerous super-strenghs currently on the street. Plus it stops funding organized crime and terrorism.

It's a case of it being less bad than keeping it illegal. In an ideal world noone would smoke, drink or do any drugs..
Reply 3
I imagine the effects of legalizing it would more than out weigh the negatives. After all people will smoke it regardless of its legality.
Original post by Reue
Legalising it will allow the government to tax and control it. Funding healthcare, education and avoiding the extremely dangerous super-strenghs currently on the street. Plus it stops funding organized crime and terrorism.

It's a case of it being less bad than keeping it illegal. In an ideal world noone would smoke, drink or do any drugs..

Tax/control will not get rid of street weed because why would I pay an extra 30% for something in a shop when I can get better stuff from the bloke on the corner.
my opinion is that you have to go one way or the other:

Either full legalization.
Or fully illegal.

I can see sympathetic arguments for both sides, and I don't feel to strongly either way. But what I can clearly see is that our current state where we are in the middle, is a disaster. We have a system now where it is criminalized on paper but largely not in practice. Meaning we get none of the benefits of legalization (tax, regulation, safety etc.) and we get none of the benefits of it being fully illegal (reduced usage/substance abuse).
Original post by mojojojo101
Tax/control will not get rid of street weed because why would I pay an extra 30% for something in a shop when I can get better stuff from the bloke on the corner.

It will reduce the street industry substantially.

Why? because right now the dealers are getting their income from 2 sources - 1, the poor and impoverished.. and 2, the middle classes/students/working professionals etc.

The entire second group will move their business, and their quite substantial wealth to legal outlets. A lot of the dealers, those with any sense, will follow them, and try and become legal dealers.

It will become like 99% of industries.. yes there will be dodgy dealers. That's true for everything - take electronics. There are plenty of places you can buy dodgy electronics, weird imports, stolen goods, off the back of a van etc. But, the vast vast majority of consumers don't, and instead opt to pay more to purchase legally. They may know that they can go looking for a dodgy electronics dealer and save a bit of money, but they would rather just buy it easily from the nice warm shop, with good marketing and branding, that gives them piece of mind and no worries about the law.
Original post by l_ecn
So I’m no one to judge anyone’s habits and I hear there can be supposed benefits.. however from experiences of seeing friends start with weed to then going on to stronger drugs I find the concept of legalisation highly concerning. By weakening its gravitas in the legal system surely this will decrease the sense of deterrence to experiment with drugs, not only weed too.

Many of my peers who use it recreationally have gone from hard-working, high achievers to passive, unmotivated potatoes.

Clearly its legality isn't much of a deterrence if you have so many friends using it and surely removing cannabis from dealers who also sell other illicit drugs would reduce the chances of cannabis smokers moving to harder drugs?
(edited 5 years ago)

I've never found better stuff on the street corner than from legal outlets.:s-smilie:
Reply 9

Same reason people buy alcohol from the supermarket and not a bloke on the street. Legal, easy and safer.
I fully support legalisation. The only thing I hate about weed is the stoner personality type. Smoking cannabis isn't a substitute for a personality.
I know weed heads and when not working at Mcdonalds they're getting high all the time
Reply 12
yes
Original post by fallen_acorns
my opinion is that you have to go one way or the other:

Either full legalization.
Or fully illegal.

I can see sympathetic arguments for both sides, and I don't feel to strongly either way. But what I can clearly see is that our current state where we are in the middle, is a disaster. We have a system now where it is criminalized on paper but largely not in practice. Meaning we get none of the benefits of legalization (tax, regulation, safety etc.) and we get none of the benefits of it being fully illegal (reduced usage/substance abuse).

Why do you have to be at either end of the extremes?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending