The Student Room Group

Help with sixth form

I am new to England and I joined in Sixth Form. How do you maintain files because I was told they will be checked? Also, what format do you submit project work?
What subjects are you taking?

Keeping your files tidy and organised is important - most teachers spend their time actually teaching rather than checking to see if you have everything in order (or at least they ought to!). How to do this depends on subjects...for maths, I simply had an exercise book for each teacher (e.g. one for core maths and one for statistics) and that was sufficient. They were never looked at because we had to do homework on paper rather than handing in books (and then ending up with no book to write the next homework in!).

For biology and psychology, I started off keeping my notes and assignments in the order that I'd completed them, and eventually moved to organising them by which section of the specification they belonged to - that was a lot better for revision.

Submitting work also depends on subjects/teachers. If the teacher doesn't specify, then just ask, they won't mind!
Reply 2
Thanks a lot! I have Economics, Business, Mathematics, and English. I am a novice to the whole file system.
They specified in school that file checks will happen and we have to maintain ring binder ones so I am worried and confused.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by swasti
Thanks a lot! I have Economics, Business, Mathematics, and English. I am a novice to the whole file system.
They specified in school that file checks will happen and we have to maintain ring binder ones so I am worried and confused.

Honestly, don't panic about it! If you keep ring binders, it's usually just a case of making sure that that is where you put everything for your subject. It's a good idea to put in a block of lined paper in each binder (squared paper for maths, if you can find it - I personally prefer those smaller books with the squares, but if you have to have a binder, I recommend squared/graph paper), then you can just use that for your work and file it without worrying about hole-punching it all!

The way you organise it is usually up to you though, and you can always re-organise things as you go along. I think the main thing to start with is, if you have 2 teachers in a subject, keep them in the same binder but in separate sections, so that you keep one binder per subject, but don't confuse the two teachers! The other general thing I'd recommend is to find out which exam board/specification your sixth form uses, and print out a copy of the specification to stick in the front of your binder, then you can check off the sections you have for revision.

Where were you from before England / how did you used to do it differently?
Reply 4
I am from Kolkata, India. We used to maintain channel files and exercise books which were checked often by subject teachers.

Quick Reply