The Student Room Group

Anxious about work experience...

I start work experience in two weeks in a place I know of but have never been to. It's in a trading estate so will be really hard to get to considering I have to get the bus there. Alone. I feel like I'll get lost or be late or something bad will happen. I also have to call the company to say that I will be going. The thing is, I have no idea what to say. Even if I was to write something down I'd panic and probably say something stupid. I can't even pick up the phone in the first place! There are a few other people from my school going there too but I'm not friends with them so wouldn't feel comfortable asking them about what to do. Everyone else is excited but I'm just dreading it.

Sorry if this was a bit long, I just needed to get it off my chest and it's my first post 😂 Does anyone have any tips or anything? Thanks!
Sounds like you suffering from a little bit of anxiety and that's okay.

Just remember most of the population travels to work alone and it's normal for people to get lost or be late from time to time (especially when starting a new job). I would recommend you contact those other people from your school going there too, it doesnt matter if you're friends with them or not they will be a big help and make you feel for comfortable - learning to network is part of growing up! Also remember your school, family and work place will all be able to support you.

By the time you've finished your work experience you'll be a little bit more mature and you'll look back at this post and laugh at yourself!
Hello anon, you will be absolutely fine. Nobody expects work experience students to know what they're doing. That's what work experience is for!

Plan your journey beforehand (look on google streetview for bits that you are walking so you recognise them) and so long as you have the phone number of the people you're travelling to, you will be absolutely fine. If your bus is late, they won't blame you.

It's all about acting confident, or as someone said to me when I gave the same advice to them, 'fake it until you make it'. :smile: Don't be afraid to ask questions, because that's how you learn. Remember this fortnight is for you to learn, get experience of what working is like (and escape school for a couple of weeks!)

Trust me, on my third day of my year 10 work experience, I forgot my temporary badge that got me through the staff entrance. I was terrified of what they'd say, but I asked the man on security, and he just joked about it and let me in. People want to help you, not catch you out.
I feel like I've read a similar post :wink: Are you in year 10?

Anyways, I wouldn't sweat it. I went for work experience in Hong Kong when I was 16-17 (can't even remember). I didn't really speak the language, was completely by myself and working with people I had never met before in my life. It lasted 2 weeks. I was terrified at first, I didn't know how'd I'd survive it when I could barely even communicate.

But it went OK. Work experience as it turns out, can be very boring. A lot of the time, you think that you do a lot more than you actually do - at least that's how it was for me; watching how things work, standing around, helping out with tiny things. That was about it. I think you should be HOPING for something a little more immersive.

Picking up the phone and making that call aint so bad. I've had social anxiety for most of my life; something as simple as making a short phone call stresses me out to no end. I literally pace around for an hour before rehearsing what I'm going to say. For a dentist appointment...
In the end, it's not bad at all. Kind of like an injection; the anticipation is really what kills. It always ends quickly.

Not sure how you got into work experience (through school, family, on your own...?), but your call doesn't have to be anything spectacular. Just a quick "Hi, I recently signed up for work experience at your company and I just wanted to call to confirm that I'll be able to make it" and just let it go from there.

And also, work experience is great. Even if you don't enjoy it, your CV will look good.
Reply 4
Thanks everyone, I still haven't called yet but I will soon. I just need to get it over to with lol
I’ve just done a day of work experience at my local leisure centre and it has made me hate the thought of going back. I spent about 5 hours standing poolside next to lifeguards who didn’t even bother to make conversation with me (I know it’s quite passive) and I felt very awkward. It’s like they don’t want me there. I’ve done numerous quality checks on toilets and I am sick to death. Tomorrow I am supposed to be in the gym shadowing an instructor, and Wednesday too. But Thursday I am back with the lifeguards and I can’t bear it. Friday they are on about me getting in the pool, and I really don’t want to.I can’t face the thought of going back tomorrow, please help!
Original post by EloWeasel7
I’ve just done a day of work experience at my local leisure centre and it has made me hate the thought of going back. I spent about 5 hours standing poolside next to lifeguards who didn’t even bother to make conversation with me (I know it’s quite passive) and I felt very awkward. It’s like they don’t want me there. I’ve done numerous quality checks on toilets and I am sick to death. Tomorrow I am supposed to be in the gym shadowing an instructor, and Wednesday too. But Thursday I am back with the lifeguards and I can’t bear it. Friday they are on about me getting in the pool, and I really don’t want to.I can’t face the thought of going back tomorrow, please help!

Lifeguards aren't always the most communicative! (I'm a swimming teacher). It's not that they don't want you there, I'm sure, it's more that they just don't know what to do/say. Lifeguarding is boring at the best of times, so I'm not surprised it's not much fun. There's nothing to stop you starting the conversation though. Don't wait for them. Be friendly - they will be bored too!

The gym should be more interesting hopefully; just keep asking questions about how things work and try and learn as much as possible.

I always like getting in the pool. It's less hot than poolside and it's something to do. What do they want you to do?

Either way, just remember, by the weekend all this will be over and you can put it on your CV!
I think your right. Today was a lot more up my street today in the gym, as I’m sure tomorrow will
be also.

I did try making conversation with the lifeguards and some seemed more interested than others. It’s just finding a suitable conversation at the right time which makes me nervous, and I feel like I’m running out of work-relevant ideas to say.

I’m back with the lifeguards and recreation team Thursday, and then on sports development on the Friday which includes the supposed swimming. It would include assisting with the senior fun class, and I do think once I do it I will enjoy it but the lack of communication between me and the lifeguards I think makes it seem worse than it is.

I think I need to relax a bit more like I am in the gym, thanks for your advice.
Reply 8
Okay I finally called my placement. I was put on hold or five minutes and then spoke to 'Sarah' who only asked my name. So it was fine and I panicked about nothing as usual 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending