The Student Room Group

Wasted Life

I cant stop thinking about wasting my past. I regret not making the most of my youth while I only lived it once. I barely stepped outside my house and basically had 0 social life outside school/uni. Dont have any experiences that a teen is supposed to go through e.g didnt go to prom, never been to any party etc. Dont have any significant memories of uni either, missed out on a lot of events. Now that Im in my mid 20s I feel Im atleast 5/6 years behind my peers socially, I dont have anything to show for my age excpet the facial and body hairs and a few wrinkles, inside I feel like a teen in a 24 yr old body, I feel so low about wasting the time I was only going to have only once. I just wish this life is all a dream and that I can wake up as a kid/teen again and not waste a single opportunity to live.

Im not talking in any way about wasting my time regarding my career cause Im pretty much set to have have a good job after graduating with a 2:1 or I would hope to atleast.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I cant stop thinking about wasting my past. I regret not making the most of my youth while I only lived it once. I barely stepped outside my house and basically had 0 social life outside school/uni. Dont have any experiences that a teen is supposed to go through e.g didnt go to prom, never been to any party etc. Dont have any significant memories of uni either, missed out on a lot of events. Now that Im in my mid 20s I feel Im atleast 5/6 years behind my peers socially, I dont have anything to show for my age excpet the facial and body hairs and a few wrinkles, inside I feel like a teen in a 24 yr old body, I feel so low about wasting the time I was only going to have only once. I just wish this life is all a dream and that I can wake up as a kid/teen again and not waste a single opportunity to live.

Im not talking in any way about wasting my time regarding my career cause Im pretty much set to have have a good job after graduating with a 2:1 or I would hope to atleast.

We can't live in the past however we're able to make new future. Make memorable moments at present rather than wishing it in the past...On the safe side you didn't had to go through teenage drama(but yes, I realise,there are repercussions to that)
What's stopping you from having a social life now though:p:
Your just having a quarter life crisis it passes, here is another aspect people fail to realise, they think after university my social life will be over. That is such rubbish, idk where our generation got that from. You will make loads of friends at work and go out with them especially if you work for a bigger company or in London, also you will have money and a more adult social life. You havent missed anything.
Reply 3
Mate you are letting Societal constructs get the better of you......
Reply 4
Original post by qshkqn
Mate you are letting Societal constructs get the better of you......

I dont really care about the the "societal constructs" I wanted to go through that youth phase myself but anxiety got the better of me.
Reply 5
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Your just having a quarter life crisis it passes, here is another aspect people fail to realise, they think after university my social life will be over. That is such rubbish, idk where our generation got that from. You will make loads of friends at work and go out with them especially if you work for a bigger company or in London, also you will have money and a more adult social life. You havent missed anything.

ofc I will definitely not be repeating the same mistakes again. I hope to have a social life with my colleagues but thats gonna happen once I get a job. I am not worried about my social life after uni, I just cant seem to get over the fact that Ive wasted my golden time to make memories and I can never be a kid again whereas I will always be an adult until death.
Reply 6
Original post by Iluv2edgedsword
We can't live in the past however we're able to make new future. Make memorable moments at present rather than wishing it in the past...On the safe side you didn't had to go through teenage drama(but yes, I realise,there are repercussions to that)
What's stopping you from having a social life now though:p:

I wish I had teenage drama in my life. Nothing's really stopping from having a social life, but as you stated its the repurcussions of not having teenage drama that is making it hard right now.
Congratz, you got away without having to deal with alcoholism, unwanted pregnancies, heartbreak, drunken accidents, arrests, drug addictions, and sex addicts.
Reply 8
Original post by Pantera Fan Club
Congratz, you got away without having to deal with alcoholism, unwanted pregnancies, heartbreak, drunken accidents, arrests, drug addictions, and sex addicts.

Who said these things make up your teenage years, bar the hearbreak, they acc occur more in the 20s rather than teens. And anyways you dont have to do these things to enjoy your teens anyways.
Who said these things make up your teenage years, bar the hearbreak, they acc occur more in the 20s rather than teens. And anyways you dont have to do these things to enjoy your teens anyways.

What do you seem to be regretting not doing in your teens then?
another quarter life crisis
What do you seem to be regretting not doing in your teens then?

Not making lifetime memories, not doing stupid things and getting caught (obvs not criminal), not going to prom, not going out with friends, not joining a sports club when I was quite good at it and maintain fitness by hitting the gym, not doing a part time job, not learning German when I acc wanted to but was too lazy, not going to grammar school instead of a college and so on...
Not making lifetime memories, not doing stupid things and getting caught (obvs not criminal), not going to prom, not going out with friends, not joining a sports club when I was quite good at it and maintain fitness by hitting the gym, not doing a part time job, not learning German when I acc wanted to but was too lazy, not going to grammar school instead of a college and so on...

How many of those can you do now? Why can't you do it now? Why does 'lifetime memories' have to be something specific?

:five:
Except I learnt French tho...
I wish I had teenage drama in my life. Nothing's really stopping from having a social life, but as you stated its the repurcussions of not having teenage drama that is making it hard right now.

would there be any profit if you were wistful of missed times?
I thought teenage drama could escalate to adult ones...
How many of those can you do now? Why can't you do it now? Why does 'lifetime memories' have to be something specific?

I get your point that I can still do those things now and I have been doing them in my 20s, but its very sadening to think that I wasted them teenage years and didnt make the most of them just becuase of my laziness.
I get your point that I can still do those things now and I have been doing them in my 20s, but its very sadening to think that I wasted them teenage years and didnt make the most of them just becuase of my laziness.

Do it now, get the checklist out of your head before the age difference gets too far apart, if it means that much to you.
i didnt have much of a youth either but made up for it at uni. i wish i had some great memories of being 13-17 tho. just didnt find the folk wanted to hang out with after school and had quite abit of social anxiety which i believe was from bad habits and could have been avoided. i graduated and i have no job or friends or anything going for me and thats liberating right cos blank slate and i can reinvent myself. but what i do know is that life isnt coming to me so i gotta go to it

There's no reason why you can't start living now.
As the Japanese would say, “Shougani”; it can’t be helped. No point in dwelling on something you have no power to change. I know it feels bad but no matter how regretful you feel, nothing in your past will change. So why waste time feeling regret when you could do those things now, or better things? Enjoy your life as it comes. Don’t dwell on the past too much, or you’ll forget to enjoy the present.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending