The Student Room Group

Government Legal Services Trainee Scheme (2018 applications)

This is open now. I’m applying for a second time, good luck everyone.

Scroll to see replies

I’m looking to apply for this next year. Good luck.
Hey I am a current GLS legal trainee / pupil. Happy to answer any questions about the application or the scheme generally.
Reply 3
Last year I didn’t make it past the SJT (which has the exact same questions this year.... a bit odd). If I make it past the SJT this time are there any practice questions available (apart from the few questions on the website) for the other tests?

Also, any old folks (over 35) on the scheme...?
Original post by HarryJ36
Last year I didn’t make it past the SJT (which has the exact same questions this year.... a bit odd). If I make it past the SJT this time are there any practice questions available (apart from the few questions on the website) for the other tests?

I hope there are ‘old’ folks on the scheme; I’ll be approaching 35 by the time I come to apply :-)
Reply 5
I’m 37 this year - still have my LPC to finish 😳
I’m 37 this year - still have my LPC to finish 😳

What stage are you at now?

37 is still young! I did read it was one of the better places for the more mature among us 😁
Reply 7
Just finishing my GDL - was a January starter at ULaw Leeds. Start LPC in September this year, then full graft until June next year.

Been a long haul - went to uni for the first time in 2014 after a career in hotels and then marketing.

How far along are you?

Yeah there are practice questions available for the VRT and the CRT online. Both of those tests are set by external companies and will be very similar to the type of Verbal and Critical Reasoning tests that many big solicitors firms do so any practice tests for those will help. The CRT is a type of Watson Glaser test and there are plenty of resources if you search that.

i would say the minority of trainees are straight from university. You are unlikely to be the oldest but most seem to be in mid to late 20s with a few older people who have changed from another carrier. I think it gives you an advantage at interview state to have worked somewhere before as you will have more anecdotes for the STAR interview method which always helps.
Reply 9
Original post by CarteretWeb
Yeah there are practice questions available for the VRT and the CRT online. Both of those tests are set by external companies and will be very similar to the type of Verbal and Critical Reasoning tests that many big solicitors firms do so any practice tests for those will help. The CRT is a type of Watson Glaser test and there are plenty of resources if you search that.

i would say the minority of trainees are straight from university. You are unlikely to be the oldest but most seem to be in mid to late 20s with a few older people who have changed from another carrier. I think it gives you an advantage at interview state to have worked somewhere before as you will have more anecdotes for the STAR interview method which always helps.

Have you enjoyed it so far?
Have you enjoyed it so far?

Yes would highly recommend overall. I can only comment on the GLD rather than HMRC, NCA, CMA etc. The quality of the work is very good and generally interesting and fairly high profile (at least for me so far). Further advantages of good working hours and nice friendly and fairly relaxed working environment. Lots of freedom to do training, volunteering etc.

Disadvantages are the pay which has been frozen for some time, the slight disorganisation inherent in the civil service e.g a few admin issues, IT problems etc..

In litigation which makes up the first two seats there is an understandable heavy focus on judicial review and public law which might not be for everyone. There is a fair amount of private / commercial / employment too but I have been focused on public law and immigration for the most part - at least thus far. Can't yet comment on the advisory seats but they are generally very popular. Was offered a good selection of interesting departments this year (basically every department except the FCO which has its own lawyers outside of the GLS system)
Just finishing my GDL - was a January starter at ULaw Leeds. Start LPC in September this year, then full graft until June next year.

Been a long haul - went to uni for the first time in 2014 after a career in hotels and then marketing.

How far along are you?

Ah that’s awesome!
I started a business degree in 2016 with a view to doing the GDL but hated it so switched to Law due to go into my second year in September. I’ve worked in the Charity sector since about 19 and turned 30 in June.

Good luck with your application; let us know how you get on :-).
Reply 12
Yes would highly recommend overall. I can only comment on the GLD rather than HMRC, NCA, CMA etc. The quality of the work is very good and generally interesting and fairly high profile (at least for me so far). Further advantages of good working hours and nice friendly and fairly relaxed working environment. Lots of freedom to do training, volunteering etc.

Disadvantages are the pay which has been frozen for some time, the slight disorganisation inherent in the civil service e.g a few admin issues, IT problems etc..

In litigation which makes up the first two seats there is an understandable heavy focus on judicial review and public law which might not be for everyone. There is a fair amount of private / commercial / employment too but I have been focused on public law and immigration for the most part - at least thus far. Can't yet comment on the advisory seats but they are generally very popular. Was offered a good selection of interesting departments this year (basically every department except the FCO which has its own lawyers outside of the GLS system)

LOVE public law! Man I’m jealous hahaha. Well good luck with the rest of it!
Reply 13
Original post by andrewcpearson
Ah that’s awesome!
I started a business degree in 2016 with a view to doing the GDL but hated it so switched to Law due to go into my second year in September. I’ve worked in the Charity sector since about 19 and turned 30 in June.

Good luck with your application; let us know how you get on :-).

No worries man - good luck with the rest of the LLB!
Reply 14
Hey I am a current GLS legal trainee / pupil. Happy to answer any questions about the application or the scheme generally.

Hi! Do you have any advice for the SJT? Is there a good general strategy to follow?
Original post by ojph
Hi! Do you have any advice for the SJT? Is there a good general strategy to follow?

I think in a way the SJT is the hardest to prep for as it is made by the GLS themselves and so there aren't specific practice tests online.

If you google "practice situational judgement test" you will find some similar ones for other jobs which will help get into the mindset.

I think it is also worth looking at the competencies for the GLS scheme online and having those in mind when you take the test. Its not timed so I think I printed mine out and read it carefully and answered the best I could then went back a few days later and ended up changing some answers.

When you answer the questions you also want to have a think about how the civil service operates and what sort of thing they expect of legal trainees ie they may approach a situation slightly differently to how a firm would want you to deal with a client. If you try to get in that mindset it might help.
Just submitted my app, which is exciting! Just finished my GDL having graduated originally in 2013, so bit of a delay here too...
Hey all,

Also applying for the scheme for the second time :smile: I didn't make it past the SJT last year! Here goes :P
Hey all. Applying for the second time. Got to AC/Interview last year and proceeded to royally screw that up.

Here’s hoping for better this year!
Reply 19
Original post by Toolson
Hey all. Applying for the second time. Got to AC/Interview last year and proceeded to royally screw that up.

Here’s hoping for better this year!

Was it nerves or was it particularly difficult?

Quick Reply

Latest