The Student Room Group

Government Legal Services Trainee Scheme (2018 applications)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
BOOM 💥 got email saying I passed 😃. Good luck for the next stage folks!
Good news so we all passed !! All the best for your VR
Reply 42
Quick question - how many question are needing to be answered in the 19 minutes?
Just completed the VRT - the wait begins! Harder than I anticipated. Anyone else feel the same?
Reply 44
I hate the damn things! Was it 40 questions?
Yep - that was not fun haha. I found the SJT quite simple but that was definitely a step up.
Original post by lawyerwanabe
Just completed the VRT - the wait begins! Harder than I anticipated. Anyone else feel the same?
I am applying this year too! The VRT is ridiculous. Its meant to be 30 questions in 19 minutes - that is 38 seconds per question which is quite frankly ridiculous. I don't see what this measures as in real life we would have much more time to read and understand text. Just another bogus way to filter out candidates. Other companies have booted out SHL and their timed nonsense.

That said, tomorrow is the day I complete this VR test... Any tips would be lovely? :smile:
Reply 47
They have a full practice test you can do and then there are other practice tests floating around the internet.

I’ve just completed the VRT - can’t say I’m too confident, I guess it’s down to how well the cohort does...
Hi all,

I'm a bit late to the party but oh well...

This is my first time applying. Not feeling too great about the VRT either, especially since the recommended completion time is 30 minutes :s-smilie:

Got one question wrong definitely, and realised only after clicking next. Too bad they can't be reviewed at the end unlike during the BCAT.
Original post by anka9657
Hi all,

I'm a bit late to the party but oh well...

This is my first time applying. Not feeling too great about the VRT either, especially since the recommended completion time is 30 minutes :s-smilie:

Got one question wrong definitely, and realised only after clicking next. Too bad they can't be reviewed at the end unlike during the BCAT.

LOL one question is nothing, if you get 20ish right I think that should be enough to pass. (Hope so anyway!)
The VRT was really difficult, definitely harder than ones I've done for other firms! Fingers crossed for Tuesday...
Original post by SirAlexFerguson
I am applying this year too! The VRT is ridiculous. Its meant to be 30 questions in 19 minutes - that is 38 seconds per question which is quite frankly ridiculous. I don't see what this measures as in real life we would have much more time to read and understand text. Just another bogus way to filter out candidates. Other companies have booted out SHL and their timed nonsense.

That said, tomorrow is the day I complete this VR test... Any tips would be lovely? :smile:

Just finished with the test - same feelings as those around me. Also standby the above statement I made. This VR nonsense is absolute rubbish and a does not examine people properly. Its rotten to its bloody core.

Who also failed the VRT?

Reply 52
I took the full practice and did comparatively well against the 2mil odd who’d taken it before me. That said, this particular kettle of fish depends on how brainy the current cohort is.

Considering how dismally I feel I performed on the actual test, I’m not hopeful.
Reply 53
Might I say, I have never been more conflicted, I was stuck between “cannot say” or “false” on majority of questions. The practice test seemed adequate when I did it. The real thing though is completely on a different level. I don’t know how well I did on the test to be honest. I literally went “YOLO” on the last few questions because the timer said “25 seconds”
I actually thought the time was fine...

What I struggled with was the whole false/cannot say issue. I’m sure sometimes it could be seen as either

Oh well, good luck everyone!
Reply 55
Does anyone know when we can expect to find out if we passed or not?...
Reply 56
7 August PM
Reply 57
Original post by HarryJ36
7 August PM

Thank you

Urgh that's too longgggg
Jumping ahead a little, but does anyone know why candidates are informed first if they pass the AC (28 Aug) and later informed if they will be offered a training position (31 Aug)? How is the decision made?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by lawyerwanabe
Jumping ahead a little, but does anyone know why candidates are informed first if they pass the AC (28 Aug) and later informed if they will be offered a training position (31 Aug)? How is the decision made?

I think it’s because there’s an objective level for passing the AC but they may not have enough vacancies.

In this case, according to the website

“For those who have achieved the required standard at the assessment centre but are not successful in securing an offer of a legal trainee position, the Government Legal Department may be able to offer a fixed term appointment as a Paralegal. There is no separate application process for these roles.”

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending