Turn on thread page Beta

Hundreds of courses in Clearing, will you try and get out of your offer? watch

• View Poll Results: Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
    Results hidden until poll closes.

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I've checked the UCAS course listings this morning and there are hundreds of courses in "clearing".

https://digital.ucas.com/search/resu...earchbarbutton

Currently updating the highest ranked courses in Clearing.

When I look at this I wonder.... "Why would you apply before the January deadline, when you could just apply on Results Day with your exam results?"
    (Obviously I know that some of you will be applying to Oxbridge/ early entry deadlines for medicine, vet med, dentistry etc).

If you look at UCAS course search you'll see so many courses available across all subject areas and other than Oxbridge, Durham, Imperial and UCL pretty much every university has places for September 2018.

Long gone are the days when there were 10 applications for every one nursing, midwifery and physio place. These courses are all listed. Even some institutions are listing Medicine.

Look for courses in clearing using this

Attachment 760806

These listings will continually update between now and the beginning of August. Once universities have processed A-level and BTEC results course listings will be updated again the day before A-level and BTEC results day on the 16th August.

So the big question is.... will you shop around on results day? Will you hustle? Will you try and trade up? If universities who are higher up the league tables have places will you try and go there?

ReputationRep:
    Wow there's so many more than expected for my course, including my firm and insurance which I did not expect at all! If I were to miss my firm and insurance, would the university give me priority over clearing applicants on results day or is it purely first come first serve basis?

EDIT: The St Andrews website says they will not have any vacancies available through UCAS clearing and adjustment, whereas they are displayed on the list of courses - perhaps UCAS haven't fully updated the list yet?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by gcsemusicsucks)
    Wow there's so many more than expected for my course, including my firm and insurance which I did not expect at all! If I were to miss my firm and insurance, would the university give me priority over clearing applicants on results day or is it purely first come first serve basis?
    If your university reject your application on results day it's extremely unlikely they would then consider you for clearing. But, if you just miss your offer by one grade they may show lenience and still accept you. Obviously this depends on the course and where. So for Medicine it's unlikely they would budge on requirements.

Does that help?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    EDIT: The St Andrews website says they will not have any vacancies available through UCAS clearing and adjustment, whereas they are displayed on the list of courses - perhaps UCAS haven't fully updated the list yet? :lol:
    I thought that perhaps not everything was updated, but if you look at the differences between 2018-19 and 19-20 there is a difference in courses available across the board.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    If your university reject your application on results day it's extremely unlikely they would then consider you for clearing. But, if you just miss your offer by one grade they may show lenience and still accept you. Obviously this depends on the course and where. So for Medicine it's unlikely they would budge on requirements.

Does that help?
    Yes that's very helpful thank you!

I thought that perhaps not everything was updated, but if you look at the differences between 2018-19 and 19-20 there is a difference in courses available across the board.
    Hmm that's interesting... maybe I should email them
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Yes that's very helpful thank you!

Hmm that's interesting... maybe I should email them
    It's just updated again

ReputationRep:
    It's just updated again
    My course (firm) was on there this morning and now is not What does this mean? Does this mean there will be less leniency on results day?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Wolf777)
    My course (firm) was on there this morning and now is not What does this mean? Does this mean there will be less leniency on results day?
    Check again, UCAS has just changed it and added in a "Courses in Clearing" button.

This list will continue to change and will change again just before A-level results day.

ReputationRep:
    Check again, UCAS has just changed it and added in a "Courses in Clearing" button.

This list will continue to change and will change again just before A-level results day.
    Is that the same as the 'show clearing courses with vacancies' option? I have noticed that all the courses for the entire faculty (business school) at my firm have been removed...

I'm glad to hear! Hoping that this is nothing to worry about too much
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Is that the same as the 'show clearing courses with vacancies' option? I have noticed that all the courses for the entire faculty (business school) at my firm have been removed...

I'm glad to hear! Hoping that this is nothing to worry about too much
    Yes, that's the one

Good to hear. Did your exams go OK?

Some universities may show lenience on the day if you drop a grade, it really depends on the university and how full the course is/ how many other students have met or missed or the requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's the one

Good to hear. Did your exams go OK?

Some universities may show lenience on the day if you drop a grade, it really depends on the university and how full the course is/ how many other students have met or missed or the requirements.
    I think they went okay! But you never truly know...

My offer is already reduced by one grade for a widening participation scheme, so I think it's unlikely they'll be reduced further. I suppose seeing my course on clearing just gives me some additional confidence, but we will have to wait and see :afraid:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I think they went okay! But you never truly know...

My offer is already reduced by one grade for a widening participation scheme, so I think it's unlikely they'll be reduced further. I suppose seeing my course on clearing just gives me some additional confidence, but we will have to wait and see :afraid:
    I know it feels pretty much impossible but try not to worry too much. And if you are, look at the courses still available and weigh up how you would feel if you had to apply through Clearing to one of those. Also, how do you feel about going to your insurance if it doesn't work out with your firm?

ReputationRep:
    I know it feels pretty much impossible but try not to worry too much. And if you are, look at the courses still available and weigh up how you would feel if you had to apply through Clearing to one of those. Also, how do you feel about going to your insurance if it doesn't work out with your firm?
    I will try...thank you for your help!

I am not too keen on my insurance and only really chose it because my college strongly advised I put one. Seeing clearing has made me consider whether it's a good idea to remove my insurance choice altogether? The other courses/unis however, that I am interested in, are of a similar calibre to that of my firm, so there is a chance I suppose that I may be unsuccessful if I underperform. I have a whole heap of things to consider
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There are lots of disadvantages to applying through clearing in my opinion. It can work well for some people but personally, I think applying the traditional way in September-January is better.

Most unis want decisions on clearing offers very quickly- many students will have to make a decision on any offer they're given withing 24-48 hours. This isn't enough time to visit the uni for most people, for example, so unless you've done your research before hand, students are often making a snap decision without the time to research their choice as they usually would. I think unis used to think students who came through clearing were more likely to drop out because of this- I'm not sure if that's true anymore.

Most unis don't guarantee a place in halls for clearing students and in some cities you may struggle to find accommodation this late in the year.

Clearing can be a bit of a scramble. Courses listed in clearing may only have a few places available, and admissions tutors may want to cherry pick students. If you're released into clearing, you've got no back up, and there are no second chances (e.g. Extra, if you apply through the normal channels). It's possible you could be really unlucky and end up without a place through clearing. I do think you have more chance of being accepted into your favourite choice if you apply in September, in general. A lot of people do find the clearing process really stressful.

I think, for a certain type of person, clearing could be a better option, but for most people, the process is much more time pressured and stressful than the usual application process. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it to people, and think if people are thinking of being released into clearing on results day they should do their research first.

It's only a guess, but I think for some unis, listing a course in clearing now isn't about filling a lot of empty spaces. They'll list a course and see if they can pick up a few extra "good" applicants. Some unis will be desperate to fill places, but others will still be picky- I don't think it's necessarily an "easier" method of getting a place at a top uni.

ReputationRep:
    Woah, there are quite a lot of courses in clearing. I'm feeling pretty confident that I'll get into my firm and I'm happy with my insurance, but if disaster does strike I feel a lot better seeing that!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by StevetheIcecube)
    Woah, there are quite a lot of courses in clearing. I'm feeling pretty confident that I'll get into my firm and I'm happy with my insurance, but if disaster does strike I feel a lot better seeing that!
    That's super that you feel confident And the listings will change on results day itself, you have plenty of options. What are you planning to study?

ReputationRep:
    That's super that you feel confident And the listings will change on results day itself, you have plenty of options. What are you planning to study?
    Hoping to study History and Ancient History - finding a course that combines the two is wayy harder than I wanted it to be though!!

ReputationRep:

where abouts on ucas is the clearing button because i cant see it
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by 123ahs123)
    where abouts on ucas is the clearing button because i cant see it
    Are you on the course search page?

https://digital.ucas.com/search/resu...tView=Provider

It's on the left hand side of the page under the academic year option.

ReputationRep:
    Unsure about what exactly the clearing process is. I'm pretty sure I'll get at least my insurance but if I didn't is there anything I can do now beyond seeing what places are available or do I just wait until results?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.