The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Them feels when you know you messed up a maths exam but your course is in clearing.
Nope, waiting would be idiotic, psychology has no places at the top, top universities. Guess there is a reason the January deadline is given.
Medicine and dentistry has courses in clearing lol
Reply 23
Pleasantly surprised at the amount of clearing options for my course. Why release them so early though, it’s not as if we can apply yet can we?Also are universities more flexible with their subject requirements during clearing? For example I wanna wanna play for Computer Science but I don’t have A2 maths - some unis make it a necessity.
Original post by cmonb123
Medicine and dentistry has courses in clearing lol

They've been in clearing every year for a few years now.

Currently it's Newcastle (Dentistry), Anglia Ruskin (Medicine), University of Buckingham (Medicine) - the ones with vacancy box ticked
I wouldnt have applied on results day, it's too stressful. I also dont care about 'rankings' i rejected leeds because their course wasnt as good and the uni itself was too pretentious.
I applied early, had my interview with portfolio early, received my unconditional early and then could focus on other stuff and a-level work because i knew i had a confirmed place come results day
Do you think king's would accept me in clearing for biomedical science if I got say BBC and their standard offer was AAB?
How lenient would universities be in reducing offers during clearing for biomed? would they go down two grades?
Unis release clearing places early because a) some students e.g. BTEC, IB, students from outside England, get their results earlier and b) they have courses that they don't think will be filled on results day.

It's also worth noting that if a course is in clearing now and able to pick up some candidates between now and results day, any places available might end up being filled- meaning the uni won't necessarily be more lenient with grades. There's no point trying to second guess the system.

Unis don't tend to hugely change their requirements in clearing- you may get in with grades a bit lower than the standard offer, but they're unlikely to suddenly drop subject requirements or accept people with much lower grades. When targeting unis in clearing, it's a good idea to be smart. To start with maybe go for unis that match your grades, as you'll feel more confident taking a chance on unis asking for higher grades if you already have one informal offer.

These days, I think a lot of unis go into clearing looking to pick up a few extra students for each course as numbers aren't capped, rather than because they've necessarily got tonnes of spaces to fill. It's the ones who are desperate to get people through the door who will drop their offers by huge amounts. Not every uni with courses in clearing is in this position necessarily.
Original post by Wikia
Pleasantly surprised at the amount of clearing options for my course. Why release them so early though, it’s not as if we can apply yet can we?Also are universities more flexible with their subject requirements during clearing? For example I wanna wanna play for Computer Science but I don’t have A2 maths - some unis make it a necessity.

I'd say they're still pretty unlikely to waive that. They've put the requirement in so they don't have to teach that A2 level content and they've build their course around that assumption. Though if you did maths to AS level maybe they'd be more flexible I don't know
Reply 30
I like my firm choice university but i'm thinking to change my course now and my firm uni doesn't offer that specific course. I want to change to marketing and communications guess i'm gonna have to wait till results day.
Original post by Wikia

IB results came out today plus other results such as Scottish qualifications also come out before A levels so that's why it's open now :smile:
Subject requirements are really unlikely to change unless there's a specific circumstance which you'd have to speak to them about
Do you think king's would accept me in clearing for biomedical science if I got say BBC and their standard offer was AAB?

Unlikely I'd expect. Generally unis look to maintain roughly their entrance requirements in clearing or just a slight drop by a grade or very possibly two. 3 grades seems unlikely
Original post by 0lut0
I like my firm choice university but i'm thinking to change my course now and my firm uni doesn't offer that specific course. I want to change to marketing and communications guess i'm gonna have to wait till results day.

If you are certain you want to change course then you can phone up your firm uni and ask them to release you (and also your insurance if appropriate). This will leave you in clearing on the day so that it can be quicker to get your clearing number and get started. Unis can be quite reluctant to release students (understandably given it loses them funding) and may take a while over it so it's best to do it in advance if possible and you're certain. Only do this if you are sure you want to change however as it is very unlikely to be a reversible decision!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
I don't get it because courses are posted with normal grade requirements and not lowered ones? Can someone explain this?
Original post by Mahel
I don't get it because courses are posted with normal grade requirements and not lowered ones? Can someone explain this?

Courses are not setting different grade requirements in clearing, they accept individuals case by case through the phone which normally involve lower grades as they want to fill up places.
Original post by She-Ra

All on this list so far are either extremely difficult or the road of poverty and unemployment courses.
Reply 35
Courses are not setting different grade requirements in clearing, they accept individuals case by case through the phone which normally involve lower grades as they want to fill up places.

So if they advertise with AAB as usual, realistically they may be looking at BBB students over the phone?
Original post by Mahel
So if they advertise with AAB as usual, realistically they may be looking at BBB students over the phone?

AAB and ABB students definitely, BBB possibly. Depends on course and uni.
Original post by Kyber Ninja
They've been in clearing every year for a few years now.

Currently it's Newcastle (Dentistry), Anglia Ruskin (Medicine), University of Buckingham (Medicine) - the ones with vacancy box ticked

Yeah this hasn’t changed all day. How often do the update the clearing vacancies??
Original post by MehmehBOOM
Yeah this hasn’t changed all day. How often do the update the clearing vacancies??

If it hasn't changed, then they're still accepting new applicants

Keep in mind, all of them say you must have a valid UKCAT score and must attend interview.
Original post by She-Ra
If your university reject your application on results day it's extremely unlikely they would then consider you for clearing. But, if you just miss your offer by one grade they may show lenience and still accept you. Obviously this depends on the course and where. So for Medicine it's unlikely they would budge on requirements.

Does that help?

That's not entirely true. Quite a few universities said that if you just about miss the offer and you call them up they are likely to accept you.

Latest

Trending

Trending