Turn on thread page Beta

CONSTANT need to stretch calves watch

ReputationRep:
    I go to the gym and stretch after every work out. However mainly when
    sitting down I feel a constant need to stretch my calve muscles! its so
    annoying and even when I stretch them its not relieved. Its constant. Its a really uncomfortable feeling.
    This is normally what happens the day after a workout. Especially at work sitting at my desk

ReputationRep:
    My number one tip for people is to drink more water. It will help with your muscles. Speaking to a Personal Trainer may be able to give you some specific advice into your workout to help avoid the problem as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BennyD)
    My number one tip for people is to drink more water. It will help with your muscles. Speaking to a Personal Trainer may be able to give you some specific advice into your workout to help avoid the problem as well!
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Do you have problematic feet and/or knees as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sknudson)
    Do you have problematic feet and/or knees as well?
    Knees yes! Is this related?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sosoloves)
    Knees yes! Is this related?
    The usual answer to tight calves/bad knees is overpronating when you move. When was the last time you replaced your shoes? If you're wearing particularly old shoes at the moment, you can usually see overpronation with a pretty worn out side where your big toes are. If you're wearing brand new trainers, then you've probably picked up something for too high of an arch for your foot and it's forcing you to compensate by rolling into pronation.

I wouldn't be particularly concerned about tightening up while sitting down. It's normal. My calves are on fire at the moment and so are my feet and lumbar spine. I was going to ask if you have any history of gout/kidney problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sknudson)
    The usual answer to tight calves/bad knees is overpronating when you move. When was the last time you replaced your shoes? If you're wearing particularly old shoes at the moment, you can usually see overpronation with a pretty worn out side where your big toes are. If you're wearing brand new trainers, then you've probably picked up something for too high of an arch for your foot and it's forcing you to compensate by rolling into pronation.

I wouldn't be particularly concerned about tightening up while sitting down. It's normal. My calves are on fire at the moment and so are my feet and lumbar spine. I was going to ask if you have any history of gout/kidney problems.
    Thank you, this is very helpful! I tend to wear ballet pumps to work so this might be an issue as they are very flat. Thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sosoloves)
    I go to the gym and stretch after every work out. However mainly when
    sitting down I feel a constant need to stretch my calve muscles! its so
    annoying and even when I stretch them its not relieved. Its constant. Its a really uncomfortable feeling
    First of all, you may be stretching too hard. You should know that when you stretch you want to be feeling a gentle pulling feeling not a sharp painful feeling.

Second of all, I recommend you get a massage. It is a key thing for muscle relief and is actually extremely helpful! I'm sure it would be able to help get rid of your tight calves.

Third of all, you may be going about post workout recovery all wrong. I recommend going through this website https://deluxehealthstyle.blogspot.com/ and downloading their free eBook. It is really helpful and informative when it comes to doing post workout recovery. Something that is essential to everyone.

Fourth of all, you can actually foam roll your calves. This allows more pressure to be directed into your calves, which is good. When you do this you should know that the more weight that you apply, the better!

ReputationRep:
    Depending on age it may also be growth. If you are a teenager the bones may be growing faster than the muscle so it gets tight and feels un-stretched, there are exercises that can be done to correct this but I would have though that enough gym work would sort it out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magmiles)
    First of all, you may be stretching too hard. You should know that when you stretch you want to be feeling a gentle pulling feeling not a sharp painful feeling.

Second of all, I recommend you get a massage. It is a key thing for muscle relief and is actually extremely helpful! I'm sure it would be able to help get rid of your tight calves.

Third of all, you may be going about post workout recovery all wrong. I recommend going through this website https://deluxehealthstyle.blogspot.com/ and downloading their free eBook. It is really helpful and informative when it comes to doing post workout recovery. Something that is essential to everyone.

Fourth of all, you can actually foam roll your calves. This allows more pressure to be directed into your calves, which is good. When you do this you should know that the more weight that you apply, the better!
    Thank you, very helpful

ReputationRep:
    I'd massage your shin muscle as well as massaging/foam rolling your calf. I do it with a hard ball for both, I find foam rolling my calves too akward

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    I'd massage your shin muscle as well as massaging/foam rolling your calf. I do it with a hard ball for both, I find foam rolling my calves too akward
    Thank you!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.