If it is never a complex number, then why no solutions?

Watch this thread
Kalabamboo
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey guys , so math42 helped me loads with this but had another question about this..
They say |z| is never a complex number so no possible solutions but what I don't get is how they quickly jump to this conclusion? Could somebody please help
akaash13
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kalabamboo)
Hey guys , so math42 helped me loads with this but had another question about this..
They say |z| is never a complex number so no possible solutions but what I don't get is how they quickly jump to this conclusion? Could somebody please help
because |z| is real z + 2i must be real so imaginary part of z must be -2i. so if you say z = a-2i then the equation says |z|=a-2i+2i=a which isn't true because |z|=sqrt(a^2+4)

i'm not sure if there is a really quick simpler way to see it though
brainmaster
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
|z| is the size of modulus of the complex number....the magnitude of the complex number on the argand diagram therefore |z| will only be a number which can never be complex
username3331778
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
The modulus of z is the distance of the point z from the origin (pythagoras) so it is always a real number. In order for z +2i to be real, z = x - 2i. However then z +2i will be x and mod(z) will be (x^2 + 2^2)^0.5 which is always larger than x so they can't equal each other. I'm not sure if this is entirely correct but it is what they were thinking of.
Whoever wrote that really is a terrible teacher
Whistlejacket
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Is this from an A-level book? Stupid question!
ZdYnm8vuNR
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
This doesn't make sense, you can't have a number that isnt complex?
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
They say |z| is never a complex number so no possible solutions but what I don't get is how they quickly jump to this conclusion?
The argument you're quoting is wrong. It's easy (but invalid!) to quickly jump to a conclusion with a wrong argument...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (8)
25%
The paper was reasonable (14)
43.75%
Not feeling great about that exam... (6)
18.75%
It was TERRIBLE (4)
12.5%

Watched Threads