The Student Room Group

4 A-levels?

I've just finished my GCSEs and am going to college next year. I have chosen to do maths, French and graphic design A-levels however I really enjoyed biology at GCSE level and I'm now considering taking it further... I have no idea what I'd like to do after college and I'd like to keep my options open but I'm worried about the workload and I know biology is a difficult subject. Is doing a fourth A-level worth it?
Reply 1
Biology can be a pretty easy subject if you’re great at memorisation, if not then you should probably not take it as there is so much content. I did 4 a levels all sciences and maths and I never felt like the workload was too much but that was mainly because I did like 13 GCSEs and I was used to juggling many different subjects. You should definitely research all the opportunities that an A level in biology can give you and weigh it against the heavy workload and how sure you are you can handle it.
If youre willing to work hard, and enjoy all your subjects, then go for it! - depending on your college you can always ask to drop your fourth subject part way through if the workload gets too much. In your position, keeping your options open is the best thing to do - i just passed my AS levels and i really regret not taking biology now because it opens up so much more career opportunities, or at least helps with the course i wanna do at uni D: You have a pretty good range of subjects already but if you're really unsure about what to do, id say do some research into what careers you can get into with your specific combination of subjects plus biology :smile:
If you want to keep your options open then doing 4 A-levels is fine as long as you want to do that and you like all of your subjects :thumbsup: As soon as you start struggling too much or disliking a subject however, I would strongly recommend you drop it as soon as possible

Quick Reply

Latest