e24
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, hoping someone can help.
I've been told by people on my course that resits taken in the August (I'm in Part 1) are capped at 40% however I cannot see this on the my unis website (Reading). Can someone tell me if this is true or not?
Thankyou!
UniofReading
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by e24)
Hi, hoping someone can help.
I've been told by people on my course that resits taken in the August (I'm in Part 1) are capped at 40% however I cannot see this on the my unis website (Reading). Can someone tell me if this is true or not?
Thankyou!
Hi,
So you are correct that resits are taken in August for almost all students, these must be signed up for via the RSIS portal.
The overall grades for the exam (those which contribute towards your final degree mark) are capped at 40%, however your actual score is still placed upon your final transcript. For example if you scored 60%, although this would not count towards your final degree classification (2:1/2:2/1st) it would still be on your transcript as 60% - I hope this makes sense.
Once the exam is resit your highest mark (from either the resit or the original exam) is used within your classification.

I hope this makes sense, if you have any further questions about this, please do contact the examinations office via their site (below)

https://www.reading.ac.uk/exams/

Tom
Third Year Psychology and Student Ambassador
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by UniofReading)
Hi,
So you are correct that resits are taken in August for almost all students, these must be signed up for via the RSIS portal.
The overall grades for the exam (those which contribute towards your final degree mark) are capped at 40%, however your actual score is still placed upon your final transcript. For example if you scored 60%, although this would not count towards your final degree classification (2:1/2:2/1st) it would still be on your transcript as 60% - I hope this makes sense.
Once the exam is resit your highest mark (from either the resit or the original exam) is used within your classification.

I hope this makes sense, if you have any further questions about this, please do contact the examinations office via their site (below)

https://www.reading.ac.uk/exams/

Tom

Hey Tom that is a little confusing?
I am taking it as you know the way readings degree calculation works.

Normally resits are capped at 40% unless EC. [ standard]

If you looked at a transcript then it records the actual % and not the fact it is capped? The employer might not know it was a resit?.

Thought this was confusing as wouldnt it be the resit is virtually always the lowest score as 40% is the min pass rate [ except for maybe a condoned pass] so its highly unlikely to be used?
UniofReading
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Hey Tom that is a little confusing?
I am taking it as you know the way readings degree calculation works.

Normally resits are capped at 40% unless EC. [ standard]

If you looked at a transcript then it records the actual % and not the fact it is capped? The employer might not know it was a resit?.

Thought this was confusing as wouldnt it be the resit is virtually always the lowest score as 40% is the min pass rate [ except for maybe a condoned pass] so its highly unlikely to be used?
Hi,
So on the university transcript it will be stated "passed at second attempt" indicating to employers that it was passed on a resit.
Given I have understood you correctly, if an individual is eligible for a resit, then they will have scored below 40%. Therefore only, in a situation when an individual may not have scored higher, or for an individual circumstance (the details which may vary - ECFs for example).
I hope this clarifies some details on this

Tom
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (216)
52.3%
No, they should still go ahead (58)
14.04%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (139)
33.66%

Watched Threads