Why are my friends socially awkward around me?Wh Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi! I&apos;m in the first year of college atm and I&apos;ve been having awkward situations with my so called &quot;friends&quot;. We&apos;re in a group of five and both of them are introverts, we&apos;ll one more so the other (nothing wrong with introverts!) We&apos;ve been friends since year 7 of high school, but the friendship has died down a bit imo. It&apos;s like we don&apos;t&nbsp; even talk at breaks/lunch/classes it&apos;s extremely silent and I just go on my phone to pass time. Tbh the only thing we talk about is the weather and how lesson went to distract ourselves of our crumbling friendship. I feel like a third wheeler as they have more things in common e.g same ethnicity so they talk about movies and speak the language and I try and plaster a smile and look enthusiastic, it seems so forced. <br>
<br>
I also sense jealousy/rivalry against us, it&apos;s kinda annoying tbh. I love them sm though but it&apos;s honestly such a bore to be around them as all we do is eat/sit in silence. I do have close friends, which I dont hang out with because I&apos;m loyal to my best friends, but it feels like I&apos;m closer to my friends than I am with my &quot;best friends&quot; if that makes sense. I hug/smile/plait hair like silly little schoolgirls do with other people but my friends hate touchy feely stuff? Like we don&apos;t even hug or high 5? No sort of physical communication and it irritated irritates me because my best friends&nbsp; don&apos;t feel comfortable doing that. I can&apos;t remember a single time where we made each other laugh until we were crying (except for the time where I forced it to make sure she wouldn&apos;t get upset that the meme was funny). <br>
<br>
I also dislike how they&apos;re socially awkward making me choose the topic, making me do the presentation, making me talk to people at events. Ngl I&apos;m shy myself, but therapy has helped me come out of my shell massively. They also hate it when I talk to other people amd even teachers and critique me on that. It&apos;s almost like I&apos;m the dominant one out of all 5 of them. I enjoy&nbsp; vibing with people but I feel like their socially awkwardness is rubbing onto me and I&apos;m becoming more emotionally sterile as days go by.<br>
<br>
In no way did i mean to sound rude but I need some advice, does anyone relate?<br>
<br>
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Sorry for the typing, my keyboard is demented
centraltrains
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Won't be your keyboard, will be a software problem. Sadly can't really help: what's a friend?

Good luck anyway!

There was someone at my school who was perhaps a tad similar, though they forced themselves to talk to people outside their friendship group and started to ignore their old "core" friends even more which didn't go well for anyone. Unlike them, you actually seem to be able to talk to others quite well. If I were you, I would perhaps try to strengthen relationships with others you sometimes talk to and then gradually retreat a bit from them; sad for you and them maybe, but if it's not enjoyable, unless you try and repair, what's the point?

Hopefully someone with more common sense than me will be along soon! Just had to comment as felt it was a bit harsh for you to have to apologies for a computer problem which isn't at all your fault!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.3%
No (214)
76.7%

Watched Threads