The Student Room Group

Do you tip in restaurants?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'm from the UK. Tipping is a pretty rare occurrence here.

If I was in the US, I would tip every time even if it's a small amount. Waiters and waitresses don't get paid enough over there.
Typically no.
No other job do you get paid extra money by customers simply for doing your job.
Also, I’d feel terrible if my tipping contributed to an American-esque system where tipping is used to justify near slave working conditions and payment.
If you’re exceptional at the job then you might just get the 20-30p change but as a general rule no. I worked for a few years as a waitress and I kinda felt insulted when people tipped me. Like they feel sorry for me or that I need help
I don't tip. I'm already paying for the food. Why would I willingly give extra to people who are already getting paid to do their jobs?
Usually not, only if someone's done a really good job of serving and even then it's not a large tip. Part of this is being a teenager: I don't have a lot of money that I can spend!
I tip usually between 10-15%. At some higher scaled restaurants that my boyfriend and I go to sometimes they already include an $18% tip into the bill which I don't approve of at all.
If the service or food good then yes. I'd always like to tip unless they really mess up the experience eg a rude waitress/waiter but thats really really rare.

In normal shops i round up to nearest note because my wallet doesn't have space for change, litterally it doesn't and is still massive
I tip everywhere but only if the service is good or decent

crap service - **** off, no tip for you
Mom tips 10-15% every time we go out eating.
Reply 48
Original post by CTLeafez
I could just imagine that now...

Waitress: "Helloooo guys, what can I getcha? :smile:)))"
Me: *Strongest British accent possible* "Ohhhh hello there old bean. What a jolly good day we're having my chapette. Bangers and mash! Roger, roger, jammie dodger."
Waitress: "...." *Walks away*

You joke, but I've genuinely been to bars in the USA who do table service... unless they realise you're British, then you have to walk up and get it yourself because they're not going all that way with the drink you ordered and paid for if you're not going to give them at least 20c tip per step they took, which they know a Brit likely wont.
Original post by Dheorl
You joke, but I've genuinely been to bars in the USA who do table service... unless they realise you're British, then you have to walk up and get it yourself because they're not going all that way with the drink you ordered and paid for if you're not going to give them at least 20c tip per step they took, which they know a Brit likely wont.

The thing is you can't really blame them. They're working for a ridiculously low hourly wage, they should focus on the customers who will help them pay the bills. Maybe someday the US will realise it's a tad morally wrong to force your employees to live off the kindness of others.
Reply 50
Original post by CTLeafez
The thing is you can't really blame them. They're working for a ridiculously low hourly wage, they should focus on the customers who will help them pay the bills. Maybe someday the US will realise it's a tad morally wrong to force your employees to live off the kindness of others.

Even if they're not busy they still won't. As they're there either way, you kinda of feel they may as well, but hey ho.

But yes, the main thing to blame is the American culture. Yet another problem spawned from the mistake that was prohibition.
Original post by Georgie1316
To be honest when I was a server I found this insulting. If you don't tip then that's fine. But 'keep the change' implies that you've thought about tipping - and then left 5p. Which as a server would make me feel like the service wasn't good.

I was always hugely grateful to anybody that left a tip of a couple of pounds and this made a massive difference to my day. In the UK we get a minimum wage but just leaving £1 per person makes such a difference. It is a tough job - anybody that says it isn't has not been a server in a busy restaurant.
Those tips get shared between everyone usually, which is a positive thing.

£1 per person does not make much difference when added at the end of a meal, but again, makes such a difference to the server.
And if not, please, just be pleasant.

Also, if you want to tip PLEASE don't leave a card tip. This gets sent to the company - the company decides how much to return back - this then gets divided by every member of staff (including managers) in most places.
Then gets put through your wage slip and then gets taxed. (Not arguing that it gets taxed), just highlighting that if you leave £3.00 for some good service on card, they're receiving maybe 3p.

I never knew that about card tips. I’m a little shocked! I’ll definitely be leaving com tips only in future :eek:
Usually round up the bill to the nearest pound 'cause can't afford big ol tips and it's easier to split with people. I'd only consider quite a bit if it was particularly good.
If I am alone I just round up the figure to the nearest pound. If I am with a group of people we may tip some more as it's not convenient to split £2-3 between all.
Original post by K_Yumbles
If I am alone I just round up the figure to the nearest pound. If I am with a group of people we may tip some more as it's not convenient to split £2-3 between all.

Agree with this, splitting a tip precisely is much less convenient than just putting a little extra each :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest