Shona10
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m really struggling to relate my A Level subjects of Maths, English Lit and History to a degree in Media and Broadcasting- please help 😖
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You don't have to directly talk about how each subject relates. Talk about why you like the course and what made you choose it
Shona10
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
You don't have to directly talk about how each subject relates. Talk about why you like the course and what made you choose it
I wish we could but that’s not what we’ve been told, and I know they won’t let us do it as you’ve said🙃😫
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Shona10)
I wish we could but that’s not what we’ve been told, and I know they won’t let us do it as you’ve said🙃😫
It's YOUR PS - I'm a teacher and although we give guidance, we do not stop students writing in their own style.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It seems strange to me. Different universities do look for different things in your personal statements.
For instance: Manchester want sound reasons for choosing the subject. That can be from your A-level choices or it can be from something else, like additional reading or work experience that you've done. Cambridge want to see how your interest in the subject is shown outside the classroom. Durham advise that you target it directly towards the course you want to take. QMUL want to see if you're up to date and informed in your subject. (This is what admissions tutors apparently said)
Basically; don't waffle about your A-level subject syllabus.
Shona10
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
It seems strange to me. Different universities do look for different things in your personal statements.
For instance: Manchester want sound reasons for choosing the subject. That can be from your A-level choices or it can be from something else, like additional reading or work experience that you've done. Cambridge want to see how your interest in the subject is shown outside the classroom. Durham advise that you target it directly towards the course you want to take. QMUL want to see if you're up to date and informed in your subject. (This is what admissions tutors apparently said)
Basically; don't waffle about your A-level subject syllabus.
Any ideas about what Leeds likes?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
While all unis may look for slightly different things, at the heart of it they want you to show your interest in the subject - this is best done through extra reading etc. around the subject. There is no point in talking about your A Levels
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Any ideas about what Leeds likes?
Nah that powerpoint slide only had quotes from those four. But it's good advice in general for personal statements
qw1234
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Math -- analytical skills and being able to process data in the media
English Lit -- Reading and analyzing texts. Also writing quality texts.
History -- Good for understanding things in our society.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.91%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.33%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.73%

Watched Threads