The Student Room Group

how to open up my own bank account when i turn 18

I'm currently 17 but turn 18 very soon. My parents are very strict and conscientious and it's very hard to get anything past them, especially money-wise. My mum always asks me to check my bank statements online and she will always be aware of any money which goes in and out of my account (including any money from a summer job, etc.) as long as I live under their roof. And I won't legitimately be moving out after university and it's not an option to simply not tell her about my finances, it won't work that way.

However, I would really like money of my own but this would be gained through ways my parents are not aware of, e.g my brother does a couple of jobs at university (such as working in a bar) and whilst my parents are not approving of this, they definitely would NOT let me partake in any work like this (my parents are super strict with me because I'm a girl). But, I seriously need money and feel like I deserve the freedom to have and earn my own money seeing as I will be an adult!

I'm very inexperienced with banking though, and I was wondering how do I create my own account, but also in a manner that my parents will be unaware of (e.g. I can't receive letters to my household otherwise my parents will find out). Thank you! (And sorry for posting in relationships, has to be anonymous!)
Hi there, I know the first thing to do would probably search on the web and read various different banking sites for help and advice. There are lots of good offers for young adults and 18s to open and control their own bank accounts. I know this offers a general answer, so I am sorry if this isn't the specific answer you're looking for.
Reply 2
Original post by twentystraveller
Hi there, I know the first thing to do would probably search on the web and read various different banking sites for help and advice. There are lots of good offers for young adults and 18s to open and control their own bank accounts. I know this offers a general answer, so I am sorry if this isn't the specific answer you're looking for.

thank you!
The only thing to make that happen is to change your life. personally from what you’ve said i think they’re thought is you’re still immature to make your own decisions or take hold of any responsibilities. its either two ways
1. talking to them about it. tell them what you want with a cold serious face but politely if they still don’t understand MOVE OUT! grow up!!
2. moving out as you go for university/college since you can work & earn AND manage your own bank card.

option 2 might seem a bit difficult since you’re a lazy teenager like me lol. or your life atm in any case doesnt allow you to make that happen.

If you talked to them about it and they said NO and moving out isnt an option
DO IT BY FORCE! apply for a job and get a bank account. whats the worse that could happen? lol
If your parents are being overbearingly protective at an older age, then take it from me that you will need to stand your ground and start some arguments here and there to actually break from them properly. Tends to be that overprotective parents mean well but are completely oblivious to the fact that their child is aging and growing up. If you stay too passive they don't suddenly notice and then give you full independence, they just stick in their old ways.

Applying for a bank account is surprisingly straightforward, as most banks tell you straight up what you need to apply for an account and a bunch of em you can set up online. If discretion is what you need, most bank services have online banking. When you set that up, they'll likely have an option to 'go paperless' which means they stop sending your bank statements to your house in letter form, and they'll only be able to be viewed by you online when you log into their particular thing. Do a bit of googling for some research, Money Saving Expert is a very good resource for finding out about hot finance stuff, including the most basic things.

How come you're not moving out for uni btw?

Spoiler

Original post by Anonymous
I'm currently 17 but turn 18 very soon. My parents are very strict and conscientious and it's very hard to get anything past them, especially money-wise. My mum always asks me to check my bank statements online and she will always be aware of any money which goes in and out of my account (including any money from a summer job, etc.) as long as I live under their roof. And I won't legitimately be moving out after university and it's not an option to simply not tell her about my finances, it won't work that way.

However, I would really like money of my own but this would be gained through ways my parents are not aware of, e.g my brother does a couple of jobs at university (such as working in a bar) and whilst my parents are not approving of this, they definitely would NOT let me partake in any work like this (my parents are super strict with me because I'm a girl). But, I seriously need money and feel like I deserve the freedom to have and earn my own money seeing as I will be an adult!

I'm very inexperienced with banking though, and I was wondering how do I create my own account, but also in a manner that my parents will be unaware of (e.g. I can't receive letters to my household otherwise my parents will find out). Thank you! (And sorry for posting in relationships, has to be anonymous!)

You don't need your parents involvement when opening a bank account at 16 even...

I just popped into my local RBS branch today to open up an account for bills. All you need is a statement from your prev bank to prove your address, and either your passport or driver's licence as ID.

Do this all in branch and say you want online statements exclusively. Also ask if you can have your debit card delivered to the branch instead (every bank should offer this service because not every letterbox is secure). Your PIN and online banking details might be the only two things that actually get posted, though.

Alternatively, use an app-only bank like Monzo. I use Monzo for day-to-day spending and the only physical letter you get from them is the debit card. However, they have no branches and the account is all managed on your phone.
I think its pretty much impossible to open a bank account without receiving post.

A possible option is go to a super market and buy a pre paid visa card, which you can top up with cash

Quick Reply

Latest