The Student Room Group

Clearing & Irish Qualifications

Hello everyone, sorry if this post seems obvious to some but I've been having a confusing time with UCAS. So I applied for Law at Bournemouth University thi morning. When you convert my Irish Leaving Certificate grades over to Ucas Tariff points they only add up to 82 points. (I don't know if this is a good or bad score) but the guy on the phone said that this was enough for the place even though the prospectus says you need 112-120

He has offered me the place which I added on UCAS track immediately waiting for them to confirm. I'm worried (I know this is stupid) that basically there is some kind of mistake and they will change their mind once I try to enrol & show my results? Is is unusual or usual to accept 30points under what they are asking. If it helps, I'm a mature student (25) and have other qualifications. This is all very confusing. Thanks to anyone who can advise.

Also my student finance account says its for the year 2017/2018, is that right lol how is that possible?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Ashvxii
Hello everyone, sorry if this post seems obvious to some but I've been having a confusing time with UCAS. So I applied for Law at Bournemouth University thi morning. When you convert my Irish Leaving Certificate grades over to Ucas Tariff points they only add up to 82 points. (I don't know if this is a good or bad score) but the guy on the phone said that this was enough for the place even though the prospectus says you need 112-120

He has offered me the place which I added on UCAS track immediately waiting for them to confirm. I'm worried (I know this is stupid) that basically there is some kind of mistake and they will change their mind once I try to enrol & show my results? Is is unusual or usual to accept 30points under what they are asking. If it helps, I'm a mature student (25) and have other qualifications. This is all very confusing. Thanks to anyone who can advise.

Should of mentioned that I applied through clearing as soon as it opened
Reply 2
Original post by Ashvxii

Also my student finance account says its for the year 2017/2018, is that right lol how is that possible?

Some universities relax their requirements in Clearing.

And no, your SFE account sounds wrong. Probably best to call them on Monday
https://www.gov.uk/contact-student-finance-england

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hi thank you, they still haven’t confirmed my clearing choice. I’m sure it’s ok though. Thanks for responding. Yes my student finance was wrong, I called them
Reply 4
Original post by Ashvxii
Hi thank you, they still haven’t confirmed my clearing choice. I’m sure it’s ok though. Thanks for responding. Yes my student finance was wrong, I called them

Thats good. I'm not sure how long it will take but tbh if they haven't confirmed by end of play on Monday I think I'd give them another call.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Surely if they had a reason for not confirming it they would have contacted me though? Not very nice keeping me in suspense all weekend. I will definitely call them on Monday. Can they take back an offer once giving it?
Reply 6
Original post by Ashvxii
Surely if they had a reason for not confirming it they would have contacted me though? Not very nice keeping me in suspense all weekend. I will definitely call them on Monday. Can they take back an offer once giving it?

They are unlikely to be working at the weekend, and a verbal agreement from a callhandler is not the same as a formal acceptance. :wink:

It's probably all fine, but give them a chase on Tuesday if necessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Doonesbury
They are unlikely to be working at the weekend, and a verbal agreement from a callhandler is not the same as a formal acceptance. :wink:

It's probably all fine, but give them a chase on Tuesday if necessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes that’s very true, I do have an email with the university offering me the place though. Sorry I’m one of those over thinking type people that worries about everything 😂 I even attended the open day but nobody could give me any info as to why the offer wasn’t confirmed on Track. I will known first thing on Monday. Thanks for your input. Just to ask your opinion, (I won’t be offended) is 82 UCAS tariff points considered very low?
Reply 8
Original post by Ashvxii
Yes that’s very true, I do have an email with the university offering me the place though. Sorry I’m one of those over thinking type people that worries about everything 😂 I even attended the open day but nobody could give me any info as to why the offer wasn’t confirmed on Track. I will known first thing on Monday. Thanks for your input. Just to ask your opinion, (I won’t be offended) is 82 UCAS tariff points considered very low?

Ah well that's good. Don't stress about UCAS updating - it will do so in due course.

80 points is CDD at A-level which is relatively low - but that doesn't much matter. You have a place - well done, and enjoy the course! :smile:
Reply 9
Yeah I’m sure, thanks a lot. I was thinking it is very low but the two education systems are extremely different so I don’t think it’s a fair conversion but that’s irrelevant. Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate it :smile:
Original post by Ashvxii

Hey!
I'm a student at BU :smile:
I wouldn't worry about the UCAS points, that seems fine. It is very common for universities to lower their entry requirements if they want you to study there, so well done! Are you going to be studying this year at BU? I would ring Student Finance just for peace of mind that they have put you down for the correct year for your finance, just for confirmation.
Alice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending