How to start your personal statement Watch

AimanIbrahim
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I am really stuck and require a catchy opening as doing medicine the course is quite competitive. Can you help??
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by AimanIbrahim)
I am really stuck and require a catchy opening as doing medicine the course is quite competitive. Can you help??
Have you written the rest of your PS? Our teacher advised us not to originally start with the first line but instead to start with another bit we felt more comfortable with writing (for a lot of people this was super curriculars or why they want to study the course). The start then came naturally later once we were more into it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AimanIbrahim
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=Lemur14;78700752]Have you written the rest of your PS? Our teacher advised us not to originally start with the first line but instead to start with another bit we felt more comfortable with writing (for a lot of people this was super curriculars or why they want to study the course). The start then came naturally later once we were more into it.

I have given my first draft in but my teacher wants me to write an intro now . She says write it on why you want to do medicine but all I have is cliche openings and am very stuck.
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I have given my first draft in but my teacher wants me to write an intro now . She says write it on why you want to do medicine but all I have is cliche openings and am very stuck.
Okay so I'm sure you've said why you want to do medicine etc. In the main body. It's gonna be difficult to find something unique but still good simply because there's so many PSs written each year. And even if we gave you ideas they could then be taken.
There's a few key points you should consider:
Make sure it's obvious what subject you're applying for right from the first sentence. Obviously they know but it's something my tutor said was really important
While yes you want to capture their attention, you don't want to stand out for the wrong reasons

I think the best piece of advice for me was to try and capture in a sentence or two what my subject means for me, whether that be a personal note or something more practical. That's more my opinion though, I'm no expert!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
If you can't get a personal statement together about your burning desire and feverent call to save lives...

Forget about applying to medicine.
AimanIbrahim
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lemur14)
Okay so I'm sure you've said why you want to do medicine etc. In the main body. It's gonna be difficult to find something unique but still good simply because there's so many PSs written each year. And even if we gave you ideas they could then be taken.
There's a few key points you should consider:
Make sure it's obvious what subject you're applying for right from the first sentence. Obviously they know but it's something my tutor said was really important
While yes you want to capture their attention, you don't want to stand out for the wrong reasons

I think the best piece of advice for me was to try and capture in a sentence or two what my subject means for me, whether that be a personal note or something more practical. That's more my opinion though, I'm no expert!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can write why I want to do medicine but my writing isn’t concise enough to tell you from the beginning that the personal statement is about medicine and I am struggling to embed the academic stuff in it as it’s looking quite forced at the moment.
P don’t worry any advice is much appreciated.
AimanIbrahim
Rep:
?
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
If you can't get a personal statement together about your burning desire and feverent call to save lives...

Forget about applying to medicine.
Isn’t that a bit arrogant, I don’t want to come across as big headed because you can’t save every life. Your just trying to help people with what you can do....
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Isn’t that a bit arrogant, I don’t want to come across as big headed because you can’t save every life. Your just trying to help people with what you can do....
Your writing a personal statement to show your passion not your lukewarmness, it isnt about realism, you sell the university your dreams as a basis for them fulfilling them. Thats not arrogance thats true passion and showing a desire to do the course, to give the admissions tutor some differentiation as to why they should offer you their valuable spot over someone else.

Arrogance is different, arrogance would be saying "i can save all lives admit me to med school".

Your analytical reasoning might be lacking for the medical profession though im starting to believe.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (137)
18.05%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (77)
10.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (130)
17.13%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (109)
14.36%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (75)
9.88%
How can I be the best version of myself? (231)
30.43%

Watched Threads