The Student Room Group

A levels

Hello guys,
I am a seventeen year old. i am just starting A levels now. I've missed my first year of A levels due to some family issues. I haven't been to school or done anything educational/productive for the past year. Everyone keeps telling me that A levels is really hard, which I'm sure is true compared to GCSEs. I've got good grades on my GCSEs but I don't remember most of the stuff I was taught now(I haven't opened a book for a year). Is this going to be a big problem for when I start school? if yes, please let me know what I could do before school starts.
Thank you.
I haven't done a levels yet (starting this year) but from what I've heard there is a (fairly) big step up from gcse so I would suggest recapping some of the gcse stuff (just to refresh your memory) and then may be have a look at the a level stuff.
Reply 2
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
I haven't done a levels yet (starting this year) but from what I've heard there is a (fairly) big step up from gcse so I would suggest recapping some of the gcse stuff (just to refresh your memory) and then may be have a look at the a level stuff.

Thanks☺
What A-levels will you be doing?
Reply 4
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
What A-levels will you be doing?

Chemistry, Maths, Biology and Law
Original post by Hali.Hassan
Chemistry, Maths, Biology and Law

For maths-go on examsolutions.net and learn all the C1 content-it's a lot of GCSE content but harder and in more depth + some extra topics-it would give you a good basis for the beginning of the year. For biology and chemistry-maybe learn some of the first topics you learn at the beginning of the year.Watch machemguy for chemistry.
Just refresh your GCSE content for the subjects that you're taking so that you won't be so lost when you start your A Levels. I would advise against trying to learn A Level content now - it's not necessary as you'll learn everything in due course and you may tire yourself out before the year even starts.
Reply 7
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
For maths-go on examsolutions.net and learn all the C1 content-it's a lot of GCSE content but harder and in more depth + some extra topics-it would give you a good basis for the beginning of the year. For biology and chemistry-maybe learn some of the first topics you learn at the beginning of the year.Watch machemguy for chemistry.

Thank you. that's really helpful
I’m starting A-Levels next year too!

This is what I’m doing to do:
Buy the textbooks for your course if you know which ones you need and read through some of it, especially the introduction to each module. Then answer the practise questions in the book on those sections. Also read around your subjects - many unis have reading recommendation lists for each subject. I’m going to read 1-2 of those books per subject. Go over your GCSE topics and skills and make sure they’re perfected.

Most importantly, relax! You want to be in the best frame of mind for the start of next year - not burnt out.
Reply 9
Original post by bfm.mcdermott
I’m starting A-Levels next year too!

This is what I’m doing to do:
Buy the textbooks for your course if you know which ones you need and read through some of it, especially the introduction to each module. Then answer the practise questions in the book on those sections. Also read around your subjects - many unis have reading recommendation lists for each subject. I’m going to read 1-2 of those books per subject. Go over your GCSE topics and skills and make sure they’re perfected.

Most importantly, relax! You want to be in the best frame of mind for the start of next year - not burnt out.

Thanks☺
cgp have 'headstart to a level' books, they're not very fat

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending