To white people: Watch

This discussion is closed.
username4165006
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
As a black man, I have never understood why so many white people and those of other races are so keen on saying the n- word. I myself detest the word and never say it, yet so many of my friends (white and asian) say it like it is nothing. Is it just because of a lack of respect towards black people, lack of understanding of the history of the use of the word (i.e during the slave trade and today as a contemptuous term for a black person), or does it just show society's contempt towards us?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Never said it, doubt I ever will.

Context has a lot to do with it; it could be all of the above, or it might be none of them. A lot of people use it as just another word with scant regard for its historical or current contexts, some because they're prejudiced, others still because they think it is stripped of its historic sense... Or just because they like hip-hop.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ublekma)
As a black man, I have never understood why so many white people and those of other races are so keen on saying the n- word. I myself detest the word and never say it, yet so many of my friends (white and asian) say it like it is nothing. Is it just because of a lack of respect towards black people, lack of understanding, or does it just show society's contempt towards us?
Young people of other races think it is cool to say it because “everyone” is saying it. They do not really understand the gravity of the word and when slavery is brought up, most run to hide because they don't want to talk about it.

My friend smashed in the face of a white guy who used the n-word at him. He was quite bloodied and got rushed to the a&e. I don't think he would be using the word again.
hygome
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i don't get it either my nig- uh i mean my homie *fistbump*
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As a black man, I have never understood why so many white people and those of other races are so keen on saying the n- word. I myself detest the word and never say it, yet so many of my friends (white and asian) say it like it is nothing. Is it just because of a lack of respectI towards black people, lack of understanding of the history of the use of the word (i.e during the slave trade and today as a contemptuous term for a black person), or does it just show society's contempt towards us?
It's probably because so many black people use it, especially in the rap culture, so they think it's okay.
rhaegar449
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hygome)
huh
MasterMind007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A lot of white people think it's acceptable especially ifs a pop song or rap or hip hop or whatever song which has it in it. smh.
goggleyed
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hygome)
:lol:
Student789632
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also, never said it. Never will. And white.

I have a white friend who does say it as a term of endearment and I call her out on it because it is inappropriate. She just doesn't care because she doesn't consider herself racist, it is just a word and whatever. I think it is honestly the source of most problems surrounding racism- ignorance. I won't ever stop telling her to stop, but she might never understand the word because she chooses to look the other way.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
for me, back when I was at a very racial diverse university, it was unusual to hear a white or asian person saying it - but black people used it all the time. 90% of the times I ever heard a white person use it, was when talking about music/quoting or singing a song.

I don't think its usage by white people is a big societal problem - the overwhelming norm now is not to say it.
username3832246
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I understand why other races shouldnt say it but I don't get it when black people say and normalize it.
rhaegar449
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
im not black or white and i dont say it. Yes, ideally non-black people shouldn't say it because of the history of the word. But I don't really think it's a big deal. It's just a word, if your intentions are innocent then it's not a big deal.

The problem is that the word is so often used in hip hop/rap music, the world's biggest genre of music, that it's meaning has been watered.
username3934898
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's probably rap music. My year group is predominantly asian and some of my brown classmates use that word very often. When I calmly ask them why they usually say things like "oh it's not that deep it's just a word" and "it's not said with the hard 'r' so.." What I've weirdly noticed is that I haven't yet met anyone who used that word without being aware of the historical context.

All the edgy teenagers I know who use that word don't "mean" to be racist so I assume it's rap culture. Other people I know from rough homes use that word because 'everybody else has been saying it' and I think if they were actually made aware of this then they would stop. On the other hand I don't think ignorant people are willing to change.
username3890778
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Everyone knows the history so leave that one out and honestly, why are you still friends with them? The minute I hear my non black friends saying it, I call them out and not be friends with them anymore. I as a black person am trying not say it myself even tho I say it sometimes
username4165006
Rep:
?
(Original post by johnny.snow)
I understand why other races shouldnt say it but I don't get it when black people say and normalize it.
I know. We can come across as hypocrites: you guys say it and we beat the **** out of you, but we can call you it and say it all we like. I hate the word cos it reminds me of a bad time(s), slavery and such, I guess others don't feel that way. I think that black people as a race have suffered and suffered a lot (I know others have and I know it doesn't necessarily justify our use of it), but, I think many feel owed and this word is the least we could get. Not my view just what I think others feel. My view? Slavery happened to our ancestors. Imagine telling a slave that their descendants will use the n- word to address friends, I'd be ****ing disgusted. What I'm trying to say is that by using it we are disrespecting them in someway.
JohnAdamSmith
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What up, my n i gg a?
username4165006
Rep:
?
(Original post by rhaegar449)
im not black or white and i dont say it. Yes, ideally non-black people shouldn't say it because of the history of the word. But I don't really think it's a big deal. It's just a word, if your intentions are innocent then it's not a big deal.

The problem is that the word is so often used in hip hop/rap music, the world's biggest genre of music, that it's meaning has been watered.
The issue is that it is not just a word. It's a derogatory and contemptuous term used against black people, it still is and has been for so long. It is not 'just a word' and anyone who thinks that needs to go read a history book. But, i do agree that the hip hop/ rap genre of music has exacerbated the controversy profoundly.
ed98
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don’t use the word, except when occasionally reciting rap music.

I don’t care. For me it is just a word. The meaning of words change all the time. MLK himself used to refer to himself and other black people as negros for example, and it was not derogatory.

For example as a woman I don’t care if someone uses the word b***h. I don’t automatically assume they are misogynistic like so many feminists do. It’s just a word to me. Same with the n-word.
username3890778
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ur right. I've got issues that stem from my chilhood that cause really negative traits in my personality, which is vague, but is why I am so tolerant towards ********s. I'm using ur method next time, zero tolerance, if any non-black says it I'm done with them and they can go **** themselves.
YASSSSS. Love that energy mate👏🏽
Scottish15
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As a black man, I have never understood why so many white people and those of other races are so keen on saying the n- word. I myself detest the word and never say it, yet so many of my friends (white and asian) say it like it is nothing. Is it just because of a lack of respect towards black people, lack of understanding of the history of the use of the word (i.e during the slave trade and today as a contemptuous term for a black person), or does it just show society's contempt towards us?
I don't understand why it's used amongst each other, if you don't like being called it don't say it. I'm sick of hearing it in songs, drives me up the walls. Depends on the context as most people will say it as it's in a song.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (69)
23.71%
No (222)
76.29%

Watched Threads