The Student Room Group

CV Writing

At the moment i work for the family business and i am not really enjoying it, i am going to collage in September and was wondering if anyone has any tips or templates/examples of how to write a good CV as everyone i ask dosent seem to want to help me. I have write my qualifications and all that but the wording and stuff as no one will tell me whether mine is good or not

please cxcx
Hey - sorry if this all quite basic!

Normal CVs are 2 sides of A4. At the top of the first side you write your name, phone number, email and sometimes address. Then after that follows several sections - write the section name in bold and write underneath to separate it out.

Then under that people sometimes write a little 'profile' i.e. I am hard working and enthusiastic, with a strong interest in X etc'. Next is your 'education' section - you could use a table and white out the lines to help you format this - you need to include the school name, what dates you were there, what level of qualifications they were (GCSE, A-level) and then what you achieved. For things like GCSEs you don't need to write out each subject you could just write 'GCSEs - 11 A-C's including English and Maths' Or 'GCSEs - 5A's and 5Bs including English and Maths'.
Then you write work experience in chronological order - some people include voluntary work in this. You need to say where you were employed, what dates, your job title, and write a small piece underneath about what skills you learnt and responsibilities you had e.g. 'I worked as front of house staff in a restaurant. This was a busy and challenging role, and allowed me to strengthen my time management, and learn new customer service skills'.
Then you write skills and achievements (IT stuff, languages), then relevant interests, then references.

This links should help:
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/get-a-job/cv-sections
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/cvs-and-cover-letters/how-to-write-a-cv
Original post by Simone250900
At the moment i work for the family business and i am not really enjoying it, i am going to collage in September and was wondering if anyone has any tips or templates/examples of how to write a good CV as everyone i ask dosent seem to want to help me. I have write my qualifications and all that but the wording and stuff as no one will tell me whether mine is good or not

please cxcx

There's a CV Help forum on TSR that can help. Open a thread in there and upload what you've got as a Word doc and someone will be along to help.
I am giving the exam today's date. Then what I write in my resume last year Percentage

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending