The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

From what I see, Oxford has more of a 'relaxed' vibe but we are talking about Oxford University here.

There isn't a specific college that's easiest to get into(I know this isn't the answer you want) but all colleges want different things. Theres no use looking at how many people they take in from each subject and their acceptance rates etc, you may as well apply for the college you want to go to, if another college wants you also, they will ask to have an interview with you.

It also really depends on the subject you would be applying for!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by jklasjrkx123
Which uni has a more fun and more relaxed atmosphere?
Or which uni seems to have a more tense/competitive vibe?
Also which colleges in Oxford are the easiest to get into?

Oxford seems to have a more relaxed vibe.

If you really want to get in, then try to apply to the Permanent Private Halls or Colleges with very few applicants. This wont guarantee you a place, but if you have a decent application you would get a good review.
College choice makes no difference but Oxford and Cambridge do have slightly different admissions process so you should pick the one that plays to your strengths.
Reply 4
Original post by itssskyeee
From what I see, Oxford has more of a 'relaxed' vibe but we are talking about Oxford University here.

There isn't a specific college that's easiest to get into(I know this isn't the answer you want) but all colleges want different things. Theres no use looking at how many people they take in from each subject and their acceptance rates etc, you may as well apply for the college you want to go to, if another college wants you also, they will ask to have an interview with you.

It also really depends on the subject you would be applying for!

Have you been a student at both?

For one, Oxford requires subfusc for exams, Cambridge doesn't.

OP should visit both :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
cambridge! oxford is ****
Reply 6
Original post by Wired_1800
Oxford seems to have a more relaxed vibe.

If you really want to get in, then try to apply to the Permanent Private Halls or Colleges with very few applicants. This wont guarantee you a place, but if you have a decent application you would get a good review.

The pooling mechanisms at both Cambridge and Oxford helps ensure your overall chances of an offer are not affected by initial College choice. It's not uncommon for all direct applicants to less popular Colleges to be rejected in favour of stronger candidates from the pool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
The pooling mechanisms at both Cambridge and Oxford helps ensure your overall chances of an offer are not affected by initial College choice. It's not uncommon for all direct applicants to less popular Colleges to be rejected in favour of stronger candidates from the pool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree. Hence why I think that strong applicants to less popular Colleges may have a stronger hand than pooled candidates. I accept that I do not have strong or any evidence to support my claim, but it seems logical to me.

If Ewan applies to a PPH with A*A*A, while Henry has been pooled from Oriel with similar grades and profile. It is logical that the PPH would take Ewan, a direct applicant, over Henry.

Now, I do not suggest anyone to attempt to β€œgame” the system. However, if they have a strong application, I think they should re-think applying to the popular Colleges whether at Oxford or Cambridge.
Reply 8
I agree. Hence why I think that strong applicants to less popular Colleges may have a stronger hand than pooled candidates. I accept that I do not have strong or any evidence to support my claim, but it seems logical to me.

If Ewan applies to a PPH with A*A*A, while Henry has been pooled from Oriel with similar grades and profile. It is logical that the PPH would take Ewan, a direct applicant, over Henry.

Now, I do not suggest anyone to attempt to β€œgame” the system. However, if they have a strong application, I think they should re-think applying to the popular Colleges whether at Oxford or Cambridge.

If Henry (or Ewan) applies to Oriel with A*A*A there's every chance Oriel will take them both.
Original post by jklasjrkx123
Which uni has a more fun and more relaxed atmosphere?
Or which uni seems to have a more tense/competitive vibe?
Also which colleges in Oxford are the easiest to get into?

firstly, Oxford is associated with posh people and cambridge is associated with smart people.

I personally prefer the atmosphere/vibe at cambridge.

some colleges are harder to get into (trinity at cambridge, for instance) but generally the competition is equal. you should go for somewhere that you feel that you fit in, rather than somewhere less "competitive".
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Maths&amp
firstly, Oxford is associated with posh people and cambridge is associated with smart people.

I disagree. I went to Oxford and lived in Cambridge. I have friends, who are now married, where one did a DPhil at Oxford, and then both lived in Cambridge whilst the other did a PhD there. We all agree that Oxford was more relaxed, but just as academic.

I personally prefer the atmosphere/vibe at cambridge.

The people that I know with experience of both, prefer Oxford. You not making a bad choice with either though.

As has been said, pick the one with the application process that is a better fit for you. Good luck.
If Henry (or Ewan) applies to Oriel with A*A*A there's every chance Oriel will take them both.

True, but if one gets pooled then it becomes a direct entry versus a pooled entry.
Reply 12
True, but if one gets pooled then it becomes a direct entry versus a pooled entry.

There's no preference to a direct or pooled entry.

If Ewan likes a particular PPH they should apply there. If they prefer Oriel they should apply there.

If they are strong enough for Oxford they will get into Oxford on their merits.
There's no preference to a direct or pooled entry.

If Ewan likes a particular PPH they should apply there. If they prefer Oriel they should apply there.

If they are strong enough for Oxford they will get into Oxford on their merits.

Fair.
Original post by RogerOxon
I disagree. I went to Oxford and lived in Cambridge. I have friends, who are now married, where one did a DPhil at Oxford, and then both lived in Cambridge whilst the other did a PhD there. We all agree that Oxford was more relaxed, but just as academic.

cambridge specifically asks for your UMS grades, whilst Oxford doesn't - the average cambridge students has 95 UMS per exam. no other university in the world has more noble prize winners as cambridge (except Harvard :colondollar:). equally academic, you claim? :biggrin:

The people that I know with experience of both, prefer Oxford. You not making a bad choice with either though.

well, ive had the opposite experience and personally much prefer cambridge.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Maths&physics
no other university in the world has more noble prize winners as cambridge. equally academic, you claim? :biggrin:.

Harvard ???
Harvard ???

my bad, but cambridge has twice as many as Oxford
(edited 5 years ago)
I want to ask which University would be a better option for Law, I've been told Oxford hence my desire to go there, but been told Cambridge is better in terms of education and stuff.
Original post by Maths&physics
cambridge specifically asks for your UMS grades, whilst Oxford doesn't - the average cambridge students has 95 UMS per exam. no other university in the world has more noble prize winners as cambridge (except Harvard :colondollar:). equally academic, you claim? :biggrin:

When arguing academic prowess, it helps to exercise basic grammar, and the shift key :smile:

well, ive had the opposite experience and personally much prefer cambridge.

Have you studied at both? You're entitled to your opinion, formed from your own experience.
Original post by I'mComingOxford
I want to ask which University would be a better option for Law, I've been told Oxford hence my desire to go there, but been told Cambridge is better in terms of education and stuff.

Law isn't my subject area, but they appear to be pretty closely matched. I doubt that either could be called a bad choice. I'd personally look at the admissions process for each, and see which suits you better. Good luck.

Law could not be described as one of the more relaxed courses though - lawyers don't get out much.
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest