did you get into to both?
MaxReid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Maths&physics)
did you get into to both?
A*AA offer from Cambridge, which I missed by 7 UMS, then got an unconditional from Oxford.
Maths&physics
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MaxReid)
A*AA offer from Cambridge, which I missed by 7 UMS, then got an unconditional from Oxford.
so, you initially preferred cambridge but missed the offer (im sorry to hear that) and then you got into Oxford and now you prefer "Oxford every time", after getting rejected by cambridge and getting into oxford.

btw, I didnt genuinely mean it when i said people on here seem to favour Oxford because they got rejected by cambridge - but not in your case.

what did you apply for and what do you like about Oxford?
MaxReid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
so, you initially preferred cambridge but missed the offer (im sorry to hear that) and then you got into Oxford and now you prefer "Oxford every time", after getting rejected by cambridge and getting into oxford.

btw, I didnt genuinely mean it when i said people on here seem to favour Oxford because they got rejected by cambridge - but not in your case.

what did you apply for and what do you like about Oxford?
Oh not at all. For the course I'm actually interested in, History and Politics, Oxford is miles better. I much prefer History and Politics to Law (the course I applied for at Cambridge).

I applied tactically to Cambridge because they placed more emphasis on AS Levels and because Law at Peterhouse (the college I applied to) seemed to have a constantly high acceptance rate when compared to the Cambridge average.

If I'd always planned on applying post A-Level, I'd have applied to Oxford initially.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wouldn't know but I know what reputations cambridges course has and what its alumni has gone on to achieve. if Oxford was just as good - if not better - why aren't its students winning as many Nobel prizes and field medals?
How many of those prize winning Cambridge academics did their first degree at Oxford? And vice versa?
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
How many of those prize winning Cambridge academics did their first degree at Oxford? And vice versa?
I don’t know, do you?
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MaxReid)
Oh not at all. For the course I'm actually interested in, History and Politics, Oxford is miles better. I much prefer History and Politics to Law (the course I applied for at Cambridge).

I applied tactically to Cambridge because they placed more emphasis on AS Levels and because Law at Peterhouse (the college I applied to) seemed to have a constantly high acceptance rate when compared to the Cambridge average.

If I'd always planned on applying post A-Level, I'd have applied to Oxford initially.
Cool. Well done for getting an offer at both.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don’t know, do you?
I don't know either, but my point is that you don't, so you can't claim the Cambridge results for, say, Field winners, as being definitive evidence for anything about Cambridge at an undergraduate level.

It would be possible to identify them all and produce the results, so I recommend you go off and do that now, rather than mouthing off on things (to summarise Wittgenstein) about which you know nothing.
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Locking this thread - these forums are for constructive discussion, not petty wind-ups.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?