The Student Room Group

Fresh Graduate Concerns

Reposting it here to get a better perspective range - please delete if that's not allowed.

I've recently graduated from LMU (London Met) with First Class Honours in Computer Forensics and Cyber Security. But i'm still scared that I won't be able to get a graduate job due to the university's repuation. Any advice about this?

Although i did not apply yet as I need to go back to my home country for a while for vacation/family matters, this thought always crosses my mind everyday.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Well done on your first class degree. Nowadsays it's alot more than just attended so and so uni, its more about having work experience and being fit for the role.
Original post by Xelie
Reposting it here to get a better perspective range - please delete if that's not allowed.

I've recently graduated from LMU (London Met) with First Class Honours in Computer Forensics and Cyber Security. But i'm still scared that I'll won't be able to get a graduate job due to the university's repuation. Any advice about this?

Although i did not apply yet as I need to go back to my home country for a while for vacation/family matters, this thought always crosses my mind everyday.

demonstrated skill > uni reputation in technology.
Original post by Xelie

I've recently graduated from LMU (London Met) with First Class Honours in Computer Forensics and Cyber Security. But i'm still scared that I won't be able to get a graduate job due to the university's repuation. Any advice about this?

Your degree is just one line on your CV.

For most employers, your skills and experience will be far more important. Can you do something to benefit your CV while you're at home?
Have you got any relevant work experience?
Reply 5
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Your degree is just one line on your CV.

For most employers, your skills and experience will be far more important. Can you do something to benefit your CV while you're at home?

I'm actually planning on working for my dad's law firm to understand how legislation works during my stay there (But at most it'll only be 3 months)

Original post by Student-95
Have you got any relevant work experience?

Relevant no, but I'm a working student and have been working for a restaurant as a bartender for 3-4 years now (Although i have been the one troubleshooting the computers there and stuff but it wasn't the focus of the job itself)
Original post by Xelie
I'm actually planning on working for my dad's law firm to understand how legislation works during my stay there (But at most it'll only be 3 months)

Relevant no, but I'm a working student and have been working for a restaurant as a bartender for 3-4 years now (Although i have been the one troubleshooting the computers there and stuff but it wasn't the focus of the job itself)

That's still all good stuff that will help benefit your CV and give you things to talk about at interview.

You can always mention your "provided IT support" at your bar job on your CV as well.
London met is a great uni and well done for 1st. Clearly demonstrated you have brains. Just try to get some graduate programmes. If not start with small companies
Reply 8
Update: I did it, I managed to land a job (Also on my first try: I guess I was pretty lucky) It's not what I originally wanted but it's really close to it so I'm happy about that so I figured I should come back to this thread; so if anyone that has a concern reads then they should know that in the end it's up to your learned skills at uni and personality that lands you the job ( please do note that what I landed was a graduate job too ) so hang in there!

Thank you for everyone that gave their input on the matter!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending