The Student Room Group

Interrupting studies and collecting credits

Hi everyone,

So im just gonna tell you a bit of background on my university education. I started university at age 18 at Middlesex University studying Psychology with Neuroscience. I completed my first year alright but i went through a lot of stress and i've been in the system (mental health services) for just under a year.

During my second year of uni i found i was struggling as my mental health issues became worse. After my first term i decided to interrupt my studies. From then until now i've just been working on my mental health.

Now a month ago i was certain i was ready to return to uni and let them know im coming back. However, after much thought, i've decided its best for me to not return yet. For the time being i would like to work (earn money) and i'm also interested in studying.

So here comes my question...
Is it possible for me to do some short courses or something to gain credits for me to use toward my year when i return to uni?
I would like a career as a Speech and Language therapist.

Does anyone know any reasonably priced ways i could gain credits towards my course or to gain some accreditation as a SLT?

Many thanks,
Raheela
Original post by rt525
Hi everyone,

So im just gonna tell you a bit of background on my university education. I started university at age 18 at Middlesex University studying Psychology with Neuroscience. I completed my first year alright but i went through a lot of stress and i've been in the system (mental health services) for just under a year.

During my second year of uni i found i was struggling as my mental health issues became worse. After my first term i decided to interrupt my studies. From then until now i've just been working on my mental health.

Now a month ago i was certain i was ready to return to uni and let them know im coming back. However, after much thought, i've decided its best for me to not return yet. For the time being i would like to work (earn money) and i'm also interested in studying.

So here comes my question...
Is it possible for me to do some short courses or something to gain credits for me to use toward my year when i return to uni?
I would like a career as a Speech and Language therapist.

Does anyone know any reasonably priced ways i could gain credits towards my course or to gain some accreditation as a SLT?

Many thanks,
Raheela

From what I can see, then take your time and the priority is to get better or you will rin your degree and go back to square one. Also if you have a healthy mind then you might even enjoy uni.

Be very wary of doing any courses which amounts to higher education as it could interfere with your funding entitlement, even if you pay for it yourself. I dont think you should be looking at courses to gain credits, but you can have courses which may supplement and be useful. I would focus on money and getting better. If you need to study then start reading one of the second year modules?

Maybe you can join and ask what courses will be useful here?

http://www.rcslt.org/
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
From what I can see, then take your time and the priority is to get better or you will rin your degree and go back to square one. Also if you have a healthy mind then you might even enjoy uni.

Be very wary of doing any courses which amounts to higher education as it could interfere with your funding entitlement, even if you pay for it yourself. I dont think you should be looking at courses to gain credits, but you can have courses which may supplement and be useful. I would focus on money and getting better. If you need to study then start reading one of the second year modules?

Maybe you can join and ask what courses will be useful here?

http://www.rcslt.org/

Thank you, i do agree with you. I am probably better off studying for second year. I think im just scared of being overwhelmed with all the modules and would rather spend some time this year to work towards my second year and anything that will reduce the final work load.
Original post by rt525
Thank you, i do agree with you. I am probably better off studying for second year. I think im just scared of being overwhelmed with all the modules and would rather spend some time this year to work towards my second year and anything that will reduce the final work load.

If you get your head sorted, then you will be able to focus and study better plus you will be less prone to panic, pressure and depression i.e you will be able to cope. Same if you save yourself an extra £1,000. Money will be less of a worry.

Dont go back until you are absolutely ready. Too many rush it and end up using their finance, getting into debt and messing up their degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending