Provisional License Car Insurance

Watch
BobbyMalloy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey! I'm planning on purchasing car insurance for a car which my dads purchased for me, whilst I learn how to drive, however I've already done a load of lessons and feel as though I'll be ready in a month or two.

When searching for Car Insurance as a Provisional Driving License Holder I've noticed that prices are significantly cheaper than with a Full Driving License.

When using Compare The Market, I'm getting quotes as low as £460 annually compared to that of £2000 for a Full License. Why is it so much cheaper?

I'm assuming that it's so cheap because insurers assume I'll be driving with someone over 21+. However I plan on acquiring my full license within 2 months or so, so will I have to upgrade to a more expensive insurance plan once I get my full license or will I still be able to continue driving on my cheap insurance?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BobbyMalloy)
Hey! I'm planning on purchasing car insurance for a car which my dads purchased for me, whilst I learn how to drive, however I've already done a load of lessons and feel as though I'll be ready in a month or two.

When searching for Car Insurance as a Provisional Driving License Holder I've noticed that prices are significantly cheaper than with a Full Driving License.

When using Compare The Market, I'm getting quotes as low as £460 annually compared to that of £2000 for a Full License. Why is it so much cheaper?

I'm assuming that it's so cheap because insurers assume I'll be driving with someone over 21+. However I plan on acquiring my full license within 2 months or so, so will I have to upgrade to a more expensive insurance plan once I get my full license or will I still be able to continue driving on my cheap insurance?
You need to tell your insurer as soon as you pass that you've obtained a full licence. You can't carry on driving with the cheaper learner driver cover.
MrCole&Co
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can get temporary insurance for a month, im sure if you call them up they can offer you 2 months etc.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BobbyMalloy)

The minute you pass your test, your insurance policy becomes null and void - you either need to ring them and get a price to upgrade to a full licence, or my preference of doing another quote and finding the cheapest decent provider.
BobbyMalloy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Alright I understand now, thanks for your replies guys!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.8%
I'm not sure (16)
3.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (150)
33.63%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.79%
I'm not a current university student (206)
46.19%

Watched Threads